What's new

Ink Suggestions

Hello! I recently received a Lamy Safari Demonstrator with an Extra Fine nib, Lamy Black ink and a Z24 converter. The pen came with a blue cartridge in it and I quickly worked my through that. I thought all was well with that ink, until I filled the converter with the black ink. When I did this, a couple things happened for me.

1. I realized that the process of filling the converter was fun, in an odd way.
2. I realized I did not enjoy the blue ink that came with the pen. The blue just wasn't very blue, had no personality so to speak and I had realized it washed away easily.
3. I realized I had a problem; I wanted to try more inks. More colorful, playful inks to be specific.

So, with my realizations, specifically #3, would you fine people of The Nib be kind enough to recommend inks that dry semi quickly, are colorful and work with well with my pen? I am looking to add a few to my Amazon Wish List in hopes that a loved one finds it and realizes I now need ink :laugh:

I'm a fan of Diamine inks. They have lots of blues. Script Blue and Waterman Blue seem to be well thought of here too. Have fun.

Yeah you cannot go wrong with Diamine. Been using Oxblood with my lamy Safari since I received both. Try the ink drop as a few already mentioned and maybe pick up a few samples of other brands.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If you look at the nib reference section, I did reviews of Diamine Sargasso Sea and Denim. Both are very nice blues. I did a water test on them, too.

For the moment my favorite blue ink is Noodler's Ottoman Azure. I run it in a couple of Parker 45's at the moment, once I run my Lamy 2000 out again I'm going to flush it out and give it a fill from the Noodler's. Another of my favorites is Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue, but it is a shade of industrial blue to me, I keep it in my Parker 51 for daily notes and other stuff.

One thing you will find is that the color can thin out quite a bit in an ef nib. For each sample I get I write with a dip pen then a safari so I can see the difference between colors I am interested in.

Top Bottom