What's new

Flint and Tinder?

Hey everyone

Anyone have any experience with them and/or thoughts on them?

I love the whole made in America/buy better and less often thing. I stumbled across these guys over the weekend in an article from entrepreneur magazine touting the best Kickstarter companies.

Background/context:
I have a few items from American Giant, including a zip up hoodie, and I'm certainly a fan of theirs. I especially love their standard crew neck sweatshirt. Their hoodie is certainly far better than most I've owned in the past but I can't decide if I agree w/ Slate.com that it's the best hoodie ever made. The construction is fantastic but the fabric actually isn't what I would consider "heavy." Don't get me wrong, I love this hoodie. However, it simply wont work in the colder months (at least not in the NE), and as a result, I am looking around for a heavier version.

Current Thoughts:
The flint and tinder hoodie is 18oz fabric vs. the ~13oz fabric of American Giant so it may be what I'm looking for. Additionally, they seem to be getting good reviews and offer a 10yr warranty on their hoodies. I'm a fan of raglan sleeves and I appreciate the simple design. However, I'm not sure I trust the company. The video's I've watched seem a bit "forced," or at least mildly disingenuous. I guess I just don't get a great vibe. They started out trying to make the perfect pair of underwear?? Also, I just found out the owner is a former Real World contestant and I can't help but question his core objectives in this endeavor, let alone his business savvy. The 10 yr warranty is obviously only as strong as the business that backs it.

I suppose what I'm looking for is unbiased insight/perspective on the hoodies. It would be fantastic if someone could compare the Flint and Tinder hoodies with American Giant, but I realize that may be a lot to ask. Either way, I welcome any additional thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

I'd also like some thoughts on their hoodies.
I can answer some of your questions about the company. I have purchased a number of the boxer-briefs. While I can't say that they are "perfect," they are very comfortable in the cooler months and fit well. I've only had them since the spring, so I can't speak about longevity, but they seem like they are made well. I also ordered a couple pair of their jeans presale. They shipped earlier than expected. Unfortunately, the fit wasn't right for me. I sent them back. The refund took a little longer than expected, but I sent an email and received an apology right away and a refund quickly. The woman who answered me said they were a little overwhelmed.

It sounds like they handled the situation well, and personally, I have no issue forgiving some delays from a company like that. In fact, I waited ~9mo for a crewneck sweatshirt from American Giant as they went through some of their growing pains. They were kind enough not to charge me and I recently placed another order with them for the same sweatshirt in their new color (cranberry)

I'm also happy to hear that the undies live up to the hype. Have you gone back for more since your original purchase?

I have purchased both their original boxer-briefs and the heritage line. Both have suited me just fine. If you sign up, the will send specials every few weeks. Last night I got a note saying I could send socks to veterans for free. I also am waiting an an order of socks and a shirt I bought through a recent promotion. They will sometimes also have buy three, get one free.

I've got one of the Kickstarter 10 year hoodies and it is really nice. We'll-made with good sewing (my wife went over it pretty carefully). Soft and pretty casual-looking. I'm looking forward to cooler weather (don't get a lot of that in San Diego).

Benbo - how does it compare to other hoodies you own? Do you believe it will actually last 10yrs? Is it notably heavier/warmer than you're used to?

My only experience has been as a younger man with cheap hoodies from Target or wherever so I may not be the best to comment. It is heavier than those that I remember. Still too warm here in San Diego although I've worn it on a couple of days. As for it lasting 10 years, I can reiterate that it is well-made with really good stitching, quality zipper etc. I think if you wore it daily, nothing would last for 10 years that isn't made out of leather. But their guarantee would at least get it mended for free. And made in America is nice. I'd buy it again for sure.

Thanks Benbo

That is certainly helpful. I may have to take a leap of faith and pick one up. If I do, I will gladly post a comparision here of the F&T and the American Giant.

Thanks again

I'm a bit late on the reply here, but I received a 10-year hoodie for Christmas so I thought I'd chime in. This is by far the most well constructed sweatshirt that I own. In terms of durability, I'd only match them against my US sewn raw denim. That's probably the biggest compliment I can give them in terms of how good the product is. The inside of the material used is quite soft. All in all, it's easily my favorite casual outerwear.

FWIW, their underwear is awesome as well. I almost exclusively wear their boxer briefs and the ExOfficio boxer briefs.

They gave me two free pair of very nice crew socks this November, just for being a Veteran. I don't usually collect on Veteran's Day freebies, but I wanted to use the opportunity to check out the quality of their goods.

Much respect for a company like that.

Top Bottom