What's new

New to Wetshaving...Need Advice

J

joeblackburn

I am new to wetshaving. I have been reading these boards for about a week and I am looking for suggestions on what "equipment" I should get.

Shaver
Merkur Barber Pole or HD

Brush
I got a Caldo Shaving set from Target a few years ago and has a stand, a brush with a carbon fiber handle, and a disposable carbon fiber razor (junk). It has absolutely no description as to what material this brush is. Should I use this brush or purchase a quality brush.

Most Importantly................Preshave, Shave Cream, After Shave
This is where I am really lost. I would like to find a nice combo of nice high quality products.

I was thinking of just buying all three from Proraso but I wish I knew if that was a good starting point. I am pretty confused as to what to purchase. I would really like to get something that smells and works good. Sandelwood sounds like it would smell good. I wish there were some samples or something.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to B&B!

Seems like the Merkur HD will get the popular vote around here for the novice and pro alike.

When it comes to aftershaves, you have to decide if you want a splash or a balm. I went with the Proraso aftershave balm and really love the way it feels. It's more like using a lotion as opposed to an astringent.

For a shave cream, hit up Bath & Bodyworks for the C.E. Bigelow, aka Proraso; and Crabrtree & Evelyn if you have one nearby. See how your brush works for you when you get your soap or cream and go from there.

Good luck!

Another vote for the HD. As far as asking about shaving creams it all depends what you like. You can not go wrong with proraso they have a full line with aftershave and pre shave treatment. Research the reviews and see what you think you might like or need. Dont rule out soaps either you can pick up some Van der Hagen or Williams soap at any drug store.

If your interested in sandalwood check out Crabtree and Evelyn they have a full line as well of very nice products. You can even check out their Best Badger Brush to compare with yours.

Its very difficult starting out because you want to get one thing. In reality most of us need a variety ( and i use that term loosely) but you can get some great products around town with out having to wait for the shipping however if you are going to order the razor on the internet it may be up to you. You can never go wrong with Proraso or the cheap soaps i mentioned above, if just to find out if your a cream or a soap guy.

Your preshave prep theres a mystery but most people will agree that the dedicated products do not work as well as Kyles Pre Shave prep.

Welcome to B & B!!

Top Bottom