What's new

looking for a skinny fountain pen

Yup, definitely look nice, but are too rich for my blood. I prefer to keep the cost at the point that I'll work hard to not lose the pen, but won't be afraid to buy another if I do.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Sailor Chalana may be too expensive and too slim for you, but worth a look-see anyhow.

the parker vector is outstanding for the price. it was the first fountain pen i ever owned and i gifted it to my sister when she started secondary school as her first fountain pen too. it is thin and its only downfall is that the plastic body can get a bit scuffed; you may or may not be worried about scuffing.
i remember when i used to use it at school and left it in my back pack over the summer break and it would still write without issues when i picked it back up for my first class in september, and its the only pen i've owned that seems go that long without clogging up!

No mention of a Sheaffer Targa or Slimline?... /sadface.

Granted I'm about ready to sell off my Sheaffers... but still!!!! Great pens that are slim and should fit the bill!!!!

The Targa is a cool-looking pen. I had to toss in a bid on one selling on ebay that probably won't win, haha. If I do get it, it will be because the other bidders weren't watching it close enough.

I may snap up a Vector just because the price is so low. I think I saw one for under $10 on ebay the other day, so I'll see if I find another. As for the others...I still don't know. There are just too many nice pens.

Well, looks like I accidentally won the Sheaffer Targa, haha. I ended up getting it for $38, plus some shipping. Based on the other auctions, it looks like I got a pretty good deal on it. Hopefully it will fit in my pen pockets. If not, I'll at least have a cool, vintage pen to add to the collection. It's a brushed stainless one with a medium nib.

It looks like it has a bulb/spring filler like some (maybe all...I don't know) of the Pilot pens. Here's the link to the auction:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sheaffer-Ta...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

and a pic from it:
proxy.php

I never tried to fly a fountain pen in a one piece, but I do run my P51 in some of my two pieces. If it doesn't fit the pen slot, it's in the sleeve pocket under the flap (Army A2CU). It burps every single time I do better than 040 MSL.

My suggestion is to de-thread the center stitching creating slots in the pocket, and have one big slot and a pen/pencil in it. Especially if you have the top flap still on, that'll help retain them, and keep other from noticing the mod, if they're uptight.

Its easy enough to do, just very carefully cut through the top box stitching, until you can unravel all of it, then just pull out the single stitching, top to bottom. You may or may not need to cut through he box stitching on the bottom. If you push the pocket itself inside out, you can get at the top box stitching easily, and any fabric cuts won't show.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 50
I cut the top flap off, so I think I'd find myself losing pens if I split the center. I already push them out when I'm doing a lot with the wx radar or anything else at or above head level. Luckily, my jet is basically an old airliner, so we keep the cabin alt at about 5k' and dropping a pen is not an issue as long as we don't leave it behind. I'll remember the tip though. I could prove useful in the future.

Top Bottom