What's new

Lmarkow's Chicken Diary

This rambling stream of shaving consciousness is intended to replace entries in my paper journals. Most will not find these entries interesting, entertaining, or enlightening. You have been warned.

Today's shave was simply outstanding. The Dorko continues to shave like a dream. Finally having my chin fully dialed in, regardless of the razor or the soap, has increased the comfort of my shaves immensely, and has decreased the time required to get out of the bathroom accordingly. Frankly, even a month ago I would not have had the confidence to zip around my chin the way the blade can now.

This was another one of those shaves that had me thanking the razor and Doc226 mid-shave. It's somewhat disconcerting to be calling out a guy's name from the bathroom, but some shaves deserve due credit.

Perhaps the biggest inhibitor to my shaves right now is the blasted lighting in the bathroom. This was never a problem with carts or DEs. I think the simplicity of the straight razor has offsetting demands on preparation and other shaving conditions, including lighting.

Besides the Dorko, I used MRGLO, MWF (nailed it), and Proraso white with Florida Water.

Despite swimming laps in a chlorine pool this morning, my skin feels just great.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
This rambling stream of shaving consciousness is intended to replace entries in my paper journals. Most will not find these entries interesting, entertaining, or enlightening. You have been warned.
You can't be any worse than I am :letterk1:

There are other MORE inopportune times times you could be calling out Alfredo's name...while shaving? That's ok in my books having used his edges.

Welcome! I look forward to your ramblings as I do all of the guys that currently ramble here. Including you Sam!

Thanks guys. Just got done stropping "Spock" for tomorrow's shave. Spock is a Fili re-brand that Alfredo re-scaled in ivory. It had these awful blue swirly scales that had to go. Now it's a pleasure to shave with. More to come tomorrow.

Before
$Acero Volcan #14.jpg

After
$SAM_0086.jpg

Well, I called an audible this morning. Instead of Spock, I went with a C-Mon Special. I don't often change my mind once a razor is stropped, but this morning I did. Great shave, as good as any recently. In addition to changing the razor, I also used the Co9Ts for the first time in a while. The "burn" was this incredible low simmer that just felt almost luxurious and warm. Wow.

Perhaps my prep is overboard, but I can't complain about these shaves:

In the shower beard gets washed with: 1) shampoo, 2) Nivea razor defense scrub, 3) Naïve face wash, and 4) conditioner.
At the sink, MRGLO first, then soap or cream to shave.

I swim 3 or 4 times a week in chlorine. I think this prep goes along way towards enabling me to shave with a straight every day.

Enjoy your weekends.

Well, I called an audible this morning. Instead of Spock, I went with a C-Mon Special. I don't often change my mind once a razor is stropped, but this morning I did. Great shave, as good as any recently. In addition to changing the razor, I also used the Co9Ts for the first time in a while. The "burn" was this incredible low simmer that just felt almost luxurious and warm. Wow.

Perhaps my prep is overboard, but I can't complain about these shaves:

In the shower beard gets washed with: 1) shampoo, 2) Nivea razor defense scrub, 3) Naïve face wash, and 4) conditioner.
At the sink, MRGLO first, then soap or cream to shave.

I swim 3 or 4 times a week in chlorine. I think this prep goes along way towards enabling me to shave with a straight every day.

Enjoy your weekends.

I use a similar prep, but just steps 2 and 3. Never found the conditioner to make a noticeable difference. At the sink I lather up, strop, rinse with cold tap water, relather and shave.

My pre-shave beard hydration routine started a bit early today. I went for a drizzly, 40 deg., 6 mile run this morning that had my beard well-soaked before I turned the first corner at the top of the street. Needless to say, the hot shower felt awesome.

I felt badly about bumping Spock for the C-Mon yesterday, so I shaved with "him" today. Just as near perfect a shave as I could want; any more perfect and the Clubman wouldn't have had any burn (which would be near tragic). I used that I Coloniali shaving cream Seraphim pushes almost as hard as film. Great stuff. As slick as Tabac but with a less polarizing, sweet scent that is also terrific.

I'm not really the sentimental type, and giving razors names seems a bit childish, but what do you call a razor that is a "Volcan"?

Last edited:
I owe my Hart an apology. Today I posted a picture of it, noting "Hart Steel, 7/8 in tongue depressors." Apparently it took exception to my public recognition of its maple utilitarian scales and delivered just a great great shave this morning. This, despite the chlorine drenched start to my day (I swim laps on Mondays), and following up a Spock shave yesterday that had me still clean shaven at dinner. The Tabac lather certainly helped. But even more helpful were the laps on the green and red pasted WD balsa strop, followed by 30 on the K3 and 30 on the TM. Last time I used this razor there was a bit of tugging. I wasn't sure if that was the result of sub-par lather, or if the edge needed a bit of help finally. So I used the balsa. Wow. No tugging today, no sir! That razor was sharp sharp sharp, and still plenty comfortable.

So, dear Hart, I apologize. Looks aren't everything; mercifully!

Nice thread Larry. I'm glad you put this together. Love the title too, lol.

Thanks, David. What else would I call it? FYI, if I didn't enjoy the Hart after today's shave I had planned to ask you for a hand, as I've not tried your chicken on a stiffer grind. lol. I may yet.

Top Bottom