What's new

Lmarkow's Chicken Diary

Hart Shave, evening edit. Well, around mid to late afternoon I realized a shadow was growing, despite this morning's euphoria. So the Hart needs help. I haven't tried a coticule edge on anything other than my Boker Silver Steel, which is extra hollow. I have a terrible time telling the difference between shave results from different grinds, hones, razors sizes, steel type, etc. But maybe some quarter hollow coticule chicken will do the trick?

I thought at first that this morning's shave with the Geneva Cutlery confirmed that the Hart needs work. But then I remembered that my shaves after swimming often feel less comfortable than shaves on days when I don't swim. I think the chlorine really dries out my skin to the point where even these great soaps and creams are challenged. In any case, the GC with Al's Calypso cream was fantastic this morning. This razor was recently honed by ShaverJoe, who was trying out a new synthetic hone. Joe knows I'm challenged to tell the difference between shaving edges -- they all "taste like chicken" -- and offered to re-hone the GC, which he previously hone on his jnat. Although Joe's synth edge is a smashing success, my test was a failure. Tasted like chicken; great chicken at that.

So I guess I'll have to try the Hart one more time on a non-swim day, to see if it's time to be honed. Then the question will be: what flavor chicken do I try this time. I've not tried a coti edge on a stiffer grind. Or perhaps this synth edge, if Joe will oblige? I've got time, since the Hart won't come up again for duty in a while.

Done rambling, for now.

Last edited:
$tastes_like_chicken_postcard-p239916073730978105en7lo_216.jpg

$chicken.jpg

Subscribed.

Love your sense of humor Larry. I first heard the "they all taste like chicken" quote from Doc, fully attributed of course, when I told him I couldn't tell his Jnat edge from a coticule edge. He was very understanding.

Who are you going to have put the coticule edge on the Hart for you?

Thanks JHP, and please don't hesitate to pitch in here, your feedback and comments will be appreciated. I would probably ask Obiwan to help out with the Hart. David put an edge on a Boker for me that I really enjoy.

LOL

I prefer the ladies calling out my name but on a shave forum I will let it slide.

Nice thread Larry, love the new avatar

Thanks Alfredo. Does Mrs. 226 know of your plural preference? Just curious.

I should mention, August West, below, found the avatar for me. It's perfect.

Writing about the Boker last night, which was my first "real" straight got me thinking about my first "fake" straight. Despite getting a W&B wedge ready for this morning's shave I called another audible and got out the Feather AC SS. I can't even remember the last time I used this razor. I think it was still back in the bloody bad days. That was no fault of the razor, of course. I was just an oaf while learning.

So this morning I used the Feather, with some Mike's Barber Shop. ShaverJoe asked me not too long ago why I don't enjoy using the Feather any longer. It does provide a great shave; no doubt. But I really don't like the angle that you have to hold the blade as a result of the blade holder "lips." I also would just rather hold ivory or horn, or even real nice wood scales, while shaving, rather than plastic. But once you adjust to the angle, and get over the feel, the razor shaves as close as any. Comfortable? Not on the first or second shave with a new blade. I don't even know how many shaves were on the blade I used. It couldn't have been more than 2 or 3, so this one seems to have been hitting its stride. I think I may need to use it more often. I don't think it will go into regular use, but now and again should do it.

Now that there's snow on the ground here, I think I need to look into getting some more balms, gels, or skin food type ***. I prefer the alcohol burn in the morning, but my skin is just getting too dry.

Done rambling, for now. Sorry for spamming my own diary.

this morning's shave I called another audible and got out the Feather AC SS.

I've never used one, but disposable chicken just doesn't have any appeal to me.

As I was shaving my chin this morning I remembered this comment from your thread -

Finally having my chin fully dialed in, regardless of the razor or the soap, has increased the comfort of my shaves immensely, and has decreased the time required to get out of the bathroom accordingly. Frankly, even a month ago I would not have had the confidence to zip around my chin the way the blade can now.

Any tips? The chin continues to me my greatest difficulty. I'm slow and I just can't quite get it as smooth as I'd like. More than adequate but I haven't mastered it yet.

How long have you been at it with a straight?

As I was shaving my chin this morning I remembered this comment from your thread -

Any tips? The chin continues to me my greatest difficulty. I'm slow and I just can't quite get it as smooth as I'd like. More than adequate but I haven't mastered it yet.

How long have you been at it with a straight?

I think I started about Feb. of this year. I was having a real tough time keeping a correct angle going around my chin, especially on the ATG S/N pass. Now the angle remains constant and I find that I move the skin on my chin as I'm going north and around, more than I am moving the razor. The stroke is slower than elsewhere on my face, which kind of freaked me out at first, as I thought the razor was moving too slow and would cut. But it doesn't. It's really a neat feeling.

That's a feeble description, I know. Sorry.

Last edited:
Note to self: Do not judge razors or shave quality on swim days. I was not happy, ultimately, with the last Hart shave. But it occurred to me that I used it after swimming in a chlorine pool, which does absolutely nothing good for my skin. So I shaved with the Hart again this morning, after a run. So far the shave feels great. I made sure to give it the best chance I could to perform well, so I used Tabac (normally reserved for Mondays only), and the razor did feel great while shaving. But I'm not sure it shaved as closely as the Pyramid razor I used the other day; I'll know some time after lunch.

Mild burn when I put on the Clubman AS. Hard to justify spending umpteen bucks on fancy *** when this stuff is available for practically a song at the local drugstores. Nonetheless, Alt Innsbruck is on the way . . . .

It's official: shaves are not to be judged on swim days. Today I used the Fili #13. It has under 10 shaves on it. It felt very comfortable while shaving. No pulling, tugging, etc. Nonetheless, I managed to get two weepers on my throat and the alum told me the rest of my face was none too happy either. This has to be my poor dried out skin screaming for mercy from the chlorine. Well, suck it up face; I ain't shaving every other day. Nope, not now that I got this stuff almost down.

Also used today was I coloniali croap, followed by Proraso white and Florida Water. I'm pretty sure it's a real good thing that I tamed the FW fire with Proraso today. That stuff would have lit my face and neck up for a month, even with my thorough post-shave routine.

That routine: Shave, rinse with warm water, rinse with cold water, alum wipe down, rinse with cold water, witch hazel, rinse with cold water, AS splash, strop and go.

Can I ask why you rinse with cold water? Does it add anything, skin wise, etc..., to the shave? I usually rinse with warm water, because I found that it was easier to get the excess soap, and alum, off my face.

Just curious.

Can I ask why you rinse with cold water? Does it add anything, skin wise, etc..., to the shave? I usually rinse with warm water, because I found that it was easier to get the excess soap, and alum, off my face.

Just curious.

I guess I'm decreasing the temp on my face. Additionally, I think the cold water tightens the skin, in preparation for the alcohol AS blast.

Just curious.

I personally rinse with warm water to make sure all the soap is gone, then cold afterwards. YMMV

Top Bottom