What's new

Me want pen

So I've been reading this thread a lot lately. A lot. I want to purchase a pen for everyday use and am up for recommendations from you guys. I like the idea of a fountain pen, but is it ideal for everyday use? I looked at the wiki, but still can't seem to pull the trigger on anything, due to fear that I either won't enjoy it, or won't use it. I can't really spend much right now, but also don't want to buy something too cheap that turns me away from using fountain pens. I know the metropolitan is a big hit with you guys, so should I just go for it?

The nib on the Metropolitan is great. My only complaint is the diameter of the grip section, which is quite narrow. It might not be a great choice if you have big hands, although it may not bother you even if you do. Unfortunately, you just have to try pens until you find one you like. That could be your first or fifth pen. No way of knowing, really. They're like razors in that regard.

Fountain pens are wonderful for daily use, but you have to realize that you need to wait a few seconds for ink to dry, and most inks aren't waterproof. Like a lot of things on B&B, fountain pens will force you to slow down, spend a few extra seconds, and enjoy the experience. I find using them is a nice departure from the rush, rush, rush of everyday life. It's a way of injecting a moment of calm, a sense of occasion, even if I'm just jotting a quick note in my day planner. YMMV.

What's your max dollar amount including shipping?

-Andy

Well, I know it limits my choices, but for my first pen I was hoping find something $20 or under. Of course, like with my razors, once I know I like what I'm using, I'll be willing to spend more.

Well, I know it limits my choices, but for my first pen I was hoping find something $20 or under. Of course, like with my razors, once I know I like what I'm using, I'll be willing to spend more.

That's tough with shipping included. I'd say go for the Metropolitan. You really can't beat it since it comes with a converter and an ink cartridge (I think). Welcome to The Nib.

-Andy

For everyday use that u won't be scared to lose I would suggest any lamy safari or the jinhao clone, any twsbi, or any kaweco.... I carry a kaweco Lilliput because it's small but reliable

Thanks for your input guys! I just ordered the Metropolitan in silver. A handsome pen, and as you've confirmed, a good writer too.

Thanks for your input guys! I just ordered the Metropolitan in silver. A handsome pen, and as you've confirmed, a good writer too.

Good choice. The silver zigzag has been my first (and only) FP. It's got great weight, writes nicely and looks darn sharp. I'd probably recommend getting a CON-50 converter as the little bladder converter thing it comes with is far less than ideal.

Good choice. The silver zigzag has been my first (and only) FP. It's got great weight, writes nicely and looks darn sharp. I'd probably recommend getting a CON-50 converter as the little bladder converter thing it comes with is far less than ideal.
I was actually concerned about the capacity of it when I watched a video online. I'll look into another converter too.

If you're worried about ink capacity, you might want to look into an eye-dropper filled pen. I purchased a full set of the Airmail 69T pens from a brother here. They each hold about a gallon of ink. :thumbup:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I use my Pelikan M200 almost every day (sometimes I force myself to use my other pens). I use Pelikan ink in it, which has a quick drying time. If you are worried about ink capacity, you can get one for $120 (or cheaper, if you are patient on ebay).

I was actually concerned about the capacity of it when I watched a video online. I'll look into another converter too.

As mentioned, the CON-50 is the one you'll need for the Metro if you decide to upgrade. A bulb syringe is handy for flushing/cleaning a fountain pen, too. Add a bottle of ink, and you're all set for a few years. (until you decide you need 20 more fountain pens.)

-Andy

The Metropolitan is a very nice pen as is the Pilot 78g. I really enjoy the Pilot 78g's Broad nib. It makes my handwriting seem so fancy and neat and for $10 or so, shipped, it is a fantastic value! :biggrin1:

strop

Now half as wise
The 78 g is a great choice, and the B nib, which is actually a stub, is great. It is a very light weight pen, though, which is an issue for some. The nibs are intercahngeable with the Metropolitan, I believe.

Just an update guys; I got my pen yesterday and have carried/used it since. Love the pen. Great weight, writes nicely, and feels great in my hand. Dropped it, unfortunately, after less than an hour and now it has a scratch on the tip, and dent on the bottom. (Bound to happen.) Looks like I may enjoy this more than I even expected! Still didn't get any ink, but I will soon. Thinking a dark blue ink. Thanks for your suggestions and help!

The 78 g is a great choice, and the B nib, which is actually a stub, is great. It is a very light weight pen, though, which is an issue for some. The nibs are intercahngeable with the Metropolitan, I believe.

Yep. Just unscrew the grip section on each pen and you can swap that section/feed/nib assembly from pen to pen.

-Andy

Just an update guys; I got my pen yesterday and have carried/used it since. Love the pen. Great weight, writes nicely, and feels great in my hand. Dropped it, unfortunately, after less than an hour and now it has a scratch on the tip, and dent on the bottom. (Bound to happen.) Looks like I may enjoy this more than I even expected! Still didn't get any ink, but I will soon. Thinking a dark blue ink. Thanks for your suggestions and help!

The best way to start out with inks is an ink sampler. That way, you're not committing to a bottle and you can see a bunch of colors on paper. Different inks, even from the same manufacturer, behave very differently on different paper. Also, you won't believe how long 6 to 12 ink samples will last you.

I'd also pick up a couple blunt tip syringes (handy for filling converter from ink sample vials so you can get all the sample out of the vial) and a bulb syringe (much faster than using the converter) for efficiently flushing ink out of pens before you use a new color/brand. You can get all that from Goulet Pens.

-Andy

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I know this is a mute point now, but the Plaisir Platinum is not a bad pen either. It is cheap, writes nice, I use one everyday when in situations I don't want to damage a $100+ pen.

Top Bottom