What's new

Maltese Falcon-shave quality circa 1941

Yesterday the wife and I watched "The Maltese Falcon" for about the 20th time. But it is the first viewing since taking up DE wet shaving last year. In the scene where Bogy, Syd Greenstreet, Peter Lauri, Elisha Cook and Mary Aster are in the apartment waiting for the delivery of the falcon, there are many close-ups. My wife says, "Look at how smooth their shaves are." She was right, all four men had flawless BBS shaves. I told her that the movie was made when men knew how to shave. But even Greenstreet, with folds and bulges, was BBS. Maybe Cook didn't need to shave, but I'm just sayin.....

The old movies were in B&W and they had globs of makeup added to their faces to make them look perfect. if its one of those digitized color versions the computer just adjusts the color in the process. In the end it has nothing to do with shaving, just smoke and mirrors as they say

thanks Bigspendy

where do you get your wet blankets?:frown: but I reject your reality and substitute my own. I contend that they have BBS shaves one and all, even Mary Astor!! black and white... check it out, you'll see

Still, there's something about old black and white movies that just do wonders for skin and complexion -- above and beyond makeup. Take a look at Lauren Bacall in say, To Have and Have Not. She's gorgeous of course -- IMHO possibly the most beautiful woman who has ever graced the silver screen -- but in that movie especially, her skin is absolutely flawless. Scarlett Johansson and Kiera Knightly, who are both beautiful and have wonderful complexions, just don't even hold a candle to Bacall. (Although, I would love to see either of them shot in B&W in 40s style for a true comparison.)

proxy.php

Besides being drop dead gorgeous Bacall had Attitude.:w00t:
"You know how to whistle don't you? Just put your lips together and blow.:001_wub:

My favorite movies are in B&W. I watch for the plots, the acting, and for the clothing styles.

Ah yes, when men were men and women were women.......

Marty

Still, there's something about old black and white movies that just do wonders for skin and complexion -- above and beyond makeup. Take a look at Lauren Bacall in say, To Have and Have Not. She's gorgeous of course -- IMHO possibly the most beautiful woman who has ever graced the silver screen -- but in that movie especially, her skin is absolutely flawless. Scarlett Johansson and Kiera Knightly, who are both beautiful and have wonderful complexions, just don't even hold a candle to Bacall. (Although, I would love to see either of them shot in B&W in 40s style for a true comparison.)

proxy.php

Bacall was lovely back then, but then again she was only 19!! :eek: when they filmed To Have and Have Not! Notice how she keeps her chin down low and raises her eyes up in this pic. That was her signature "Look." She said later on, that she had to keep her chin low to her chest because she was trembling and nervous filming with Bogie in her first movie. (There's your useless movie trivia for the day gentlemen!)

She said later on, that she had to keep her chin low to her chest because she was trembling and nervous filming with Bogie in her first movie. (There's your useless movie trivia for the day gentlemen!)

Hell, I'd be trembly and nervous if I was acting with Bogie! :lol:

I think the the complexions are a combination of better shaves, makeup, and lighting that you don't notice due to the black and white. Often you will notice the actor's faces are rather too white, either from light washout that obscures nearly all features, or that their faces seem to be lacking natural fill colors, like rosy cheeks and such. However, I do think that the average actor back then had an excellent shave every time they got in front of a camera, either their own or more likely from a skilled barber. You didn't have to go to London back then to find a guy who knew how to use a straight on your face. Also, I know that some actors disliked makeup, such as Grant, and didn't use it ever. And his stuff was even in color, so I think he either knew how to shave or had a great barber.

Hell, I'd be trembly and nervous if I was acting with Bogie! :lol:

I think the the complexions are a combination of better shaves, makeup, and lighting that you don't notice due to the black and white. Often you will notice the actor's faces are rather too white, either from light washout that obscures nearly all features, or that their faces seem to be lacking natural fill colors, like rosy cheeks and such. However, I do think that the average actor back then had an excellent shave every time they got in front of a camera, either their own or more likely from a skilled barber. You didn't have to go to London back then to find a guy who knew how to use a straight on your face. Also, I know that some actors disliked makeup, such as Grant, and didn't use it ever. And his stuff was even in color, so I think he either knew how to shave or had a great barber.

I agree with you. Lighting can only do so much. Bogie's wrinkles and age came through even with the lighting. I think men back then knew how to shave properly.

Looking at your avatar, I see you are a fan of Cary Grant. Have you seen his movie with Audrey Hepburn called Charade?

There is a classic scene where Audrey sits on Cary's lap, places her finger on his cleft chin and asks, "How do you shave in there?" :blush:

Classic!

thanks Bigspendy

where do you get your wet blankets?:frown: but I reject your reality and substitute my own. I contend that they have BBS shaves one and all, even Mary Astor!! black and white... check it out, you'll see

Mikey...I was "with" you on this, until I saw the picture of Bacall's black lips, thanks to Orthochromatic film.

Still, it's possible that the boys loaded up some fresh Super Blues and knocked it off-- Bogie certainly DIDN'T do this for African Queen, now did he?

Maybe Lauren just LIKED black lipstick...

Mikey...I was "with" you on this, until I saw the picture of Bacall's black lips, thanks to Orthochromatic film.

Still, it's possible that the boys loaded up some fresh Super Blues and knocked it off-- Bogie certainly DIDN'T do this for African Queen, now did he?

Maybe Lauren just LIKED black lipstick...

Nope, not in Treasure of the Sierra Madre, either:biggrin:

F

firebox

I've got 40+ bogie movies on DVD and 40+ razors... Where do I go from here!

I've got 40+ bogie movies on DVD and 40+ razors... Where do I go from here!

40+ packs of cigarettes

Looking at your avatar, I see you are a fan of Cary Grant. Have you seen his movie with Audrey Hepburn called Charade?

There is a classic scene where Audrey sits on Cary's lap, places her finger on his cleft chin and asks, "How do you shave in there?" :blush:

Classic!

Definitely seen that one, great scene =P

Top Bottom