What's new

Simpson Synthetic Chubby 2

Great news. I just put my plans on buying a Muhle or FS synthetic on hold to wait for this development to play out. I've always thought that a synthetic or boar in a Simpson handle would be great.

So Simpsons is a Muhle without the mystery of which version of fiber you're getting. Cool beans!

I love my Frank Shaving synthetic and just ordered a synthetic from Wolf Wiskers. Happy to see synthetics going even more mainstream.

It will have to be significantly better than the PUR-TECH I just sold. I don't think the synthetics are ready for prime time yet, at least for me...
My opinion only.
Vic

Branded prototype image now posted by Simpsons.
$Chubby 2 Synthetic.jpg
There's been quite a bit of back-and-forth with Mark responding to people pushing for more info, here are some of the politician-worthy responses.

When asked on how the brush will be priced there was a one word response "Competitively"

When asked on the backbone of the brush "as dense as our Two Band :)"

When asked on the feel of the brush "ultra soft but firm..."

Link to Simpson page and all comments HERE

My biggest concern with these synthetics is the bloom and splay. The ones I've seen tend to have a very narrow bloom and a tendency clump into a point rather than splay out when wet.

I used to think the same way. No more. The newest gen are top notch performers.

+1 I have one of the Frank Shaving Generation 4 synthetic brush and these fibres are really quite nice. You may be surprised. I understand that they will never replace my good badger brush, but they are incredible lather generators and make superb travel brushes.

+1 I have one of the Frank Shaving Generation 4 synthetic brush and these fibres are really quite nice. You may be surprised. I understand that they will never replace my good badger brush, but they are incredible lather generators and make superb travel brushes.
What has really caught my attention regarding the synthetic brushes is the quite rapid development over the last few generations. The newest generation made it from travel duty into my den. Considering I have only 4 stick brushes and 4 puck brushes and two of them being synthetic it's really quite remarkable.

With their rapid development I think that the synthetic brushes are the way into the future, I really do.

Last edited:
Mark at Simpson's is very confident in the design/build qualities of the brush, and has moved the availability date forward. He is sending me his personal copy of the new Chubby synthetic brush by Air Mail. I'll be reporting on it here in the near future.

My only issue with my FS Gen 4 brush is the glue bump. If the Simpsons get rid of that, I think it will be a fantastic brush. I'm sure the glue bump on the FS is there for a reason, but I feel that it considerably reduces the splay.

My only issue with my FS Gen 4 brush is the glue bump. If the Simpsons get rid of that, I think it will be a fantastic brush. I'm sure the glue bump on the FS is there for a reason, but I feel that it considerably reduces the splay.

* I completely agree with you and I don't like the glue-bump, either, but it doesn't really impact anything with what it is supposed to do. I have mine set at 55mm in a lovely FS 70mm handle and it is working out extremely well! :biggrin1:

Simpson's Chubby 2 Synthetic Brush Specifications

Here are the brush specifications as I understand them. Bear in mind that these are pre-release prototype specs, and that the final form might vary:

Knot: 27.5 - 28mm
Type: Extra dense, Generation 4 synthetic fiber
Loft: 49 - 50mm
Price: $93 - $95 USD (estimated)

Simpson's Chubby 2 Synthetic Brush Specifications

Here are the brush specifications as I understand them. Bear in mind that these are pre-release prototype specs, and that the final form might vary:

Knot: 27.5 - 28mm
Type: Extra dense, Generation 4 synthetic fiber
Loft: 49 - 50mm
Price: $93 - $95 USD (estimated)

~£60? I'd get one for that price, just out of curiosity alone!

Thanks for the update

Top Bottom