What's new

Closer shave with a straight razor?

Hi,

I've converted to a DE awhile ago. Now, I am considering going with the straight after reading up a little.

My question is: after you get some skill with the razor under your belt, is it a closer shave than with a DE?

I know a lot of people enjoy the challenge and they think its fun--plus all the other stuff that goes along with using a straight. But, does it really offer you a better shave? (Even if the answer is no, I might still try it haha). I would like to hear your thoughts.

My question is: after you get some skill with the razor under your belt, is it a closer shave than with a DE?

Yes. I get as close in two passes as I got with three with a DE. If I add an ATG pass then I'm good for two days. This is a fairly common pattern among straight shavers; there are several members here who only shave every other day.

Straights are gentle enough that you can use only water for the last pass of a 2- or 3-pass shave. The old barbering textbooks recommended a 2-pass shave with only water on the last pass, though they do describe the 3-pass shave, and mention that it might be needed for a really demanding customer.

My first straight shave was a 2-day shave and that got me hooked, though it took awhile before I was able to do it again on demand.

While I have never used a DE, a straight produces the closest shave I've ever had. By definition, there is none closer :001_smile

I used to shave every second day (on account of "sensative skin") but have been shaving daily for close to 1 year now...not that I really have to, but just enjoy it so much :cool:

Not that I am an expert on Straight shaving by any means, but it seems to me that it does get as close as a DE, and the BBS-ness seems to last a whole lot longer than a DE shave. Not to say that a DE shave is bad, far from it, but a straight shave just seems to last longer.

Now, having said that.....it will take TIME to get these results, and there are days where, if I'm running late for work, that I just use the DE because a straight shave is not something to rush through.

I don't know about closer, but you certainly get a DIFFERENT shave from a straight. I think many folks can match closeness with a DE.

The rare times I use a DE when I'm in a hurry the shave never lasts as long as a straight shave even though its BBS. In my book a straight shave is just closer than a DE.

yugnok

A straight shave will last longer and feel better. I think a straight razor exfoliates better and leaves your skin cleaner.

Best Regards

Graham

I think its much about the shape of the hair end after the blade deals with it. The straight shave feels softer, somehow.

Yes, str8 shaving gives you better results than DE.
With a str8 razor I only start to feel a new beard after more than 30 hours!
The beard feels totally different with a str8. Under a loupe the beard cut by a str8 razor seems diagonally cut, the DE cut seems more like a minuscule badger. The top of our fingers seems to feel every tiny "hair" of the DE cut.
When touching the beard cut by a str8 razor you feel almost nothing, the diagonally cut seems to dissapear with the contours of the face.
I'm only using a DE when I'm in a hurry and on vacation abroad.

I agree with the posts above that both the DE and str8 can give you BBS, but the str8 shave will last longer.

About 12 mins if the razor is good and sharp, and I start thinking about touching up the edge on the linen or finishing hone once the shave starts taking about 15 mins. That includes prep and cleanup, which I haven't really timed but is probably about 5 mins.

About 12 mins if the razor is good and sharp, and I start thinking about touching up the edge on the linen or finishing hone once the shave starts taking about 15 mins. That includes prep and cleanup, which I haven't really timed but is probably about 5 mins.
+1, sounds right to me.

I don't find my straight shaves closer than my disposable but for some reason the effect lasts longer. With a disposable in the morning I feel like I need another shave by 5 pm. With a straight my face stays clean much longer.

Rich
“All good things arrive unto them that wait – and don’t die in the meantime.” – Mark Twain

Without a doubt I get a closer shave with a str8 but there's more to it than that.

First of all I can now shave daily without getting all the bumps and red I was getting with DEs.

I can also get into places with a str8 that I could not using a DE.

Also I feel smooth BBS a lot longer with the str8.

However, I still get some nicks.

DaveS

Top Bottom