What's new

Acquisitions for November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went for a tour around SF with the wife today looking for additions to the aftershave program. Stopped into a small fragrance shop called Nancy Boy, who are "famous" for their Signature Scent Shaving Creme. After sampling this and two other scents, I left empty handed with a bad taste in my mouth. Absolutely a disappointment. Next, we headed out to a nice little spot in the mission named Fellow Barber, specializing in straight shaves and manicuring facial hair. They had a nice assortment of accoutrements in their shop, but again, nothing really spectacular and nothing worth walking out with.

After this, we headed to the Castro. In the midst of the wide variety of skin care products aimed at the "alternative lifestyle" gents in the Castro, I didn't find many shave products. However, a walk into L'occitane introduced me to a new product that they have recently added to the line-up. I am not a fan of Cade or their L'occitane balms, so the decision to enter was more due to the wife's interests. Standing around disinterested, she called me over to a table in the middle of the store where they were highlighting new products. She immediately put the Cedre & Oranger Aftershave Balm ($30) on my hand and I was blown away. It was just the right mix of woody musk with refreshing citrus. I didn't walk out with a tube, but this shot to the top of my x-mass list. I highly recommend walking into the L'occitane to try this out next time you pass by.

After walking out of L'Occitane, again, my wife tugged my arm into an antique shop just a few doors away from the center of the Castro district. Usually, I would be psyched with the possibilities of finding a sweet DE at a low price, but the location and clientell of this shop made me think this would be a long shot. What I found next absolutely proved me wrong.

I came across a case that contained 3 DE's. Three Gillette New's, 2 that were worse for ware and this baby... a serial numbered (1930) Gillette New De Luxe Belmont/Criterion 2-Piece in 24k Gold. The handle looks like most of the plating has worn, but the base and the head look a bit better. The combs are true and straight. The only minor defect is a hairline crack in the handle. This came mismatched in a very nice condition Aristocrat case, with perfect leather outside and fully functional hinge. Also came with a 24k blade holder. All for the low low price of $15! I'm psyched to pop in one of the vintage Clix Thin blades that came in the case and have at it. This was my first find-in-the-wild.

The Lesson Learned: Always listen to the wife.
View attachment 381514View attachment 381515View attachment 381516View attachment 381517View attachment 381518

Last edited:
Yesterday I stop by an antique store. First case I looked and I saw a fatboy, superspeed and aluminum handle tech. Payed $3.50 for the fatboy. And $5 and $5.50 for the other two. And they cleaned up beautifully.

Birth year Tech, NOS!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 654
Scored these two off the bay.
$aristocrat.jpg

A nice PIF of a '41 Ranger tech and then got this '46 ranger off the bay

$ranger.jpg

A got another Aristocrat from a best offer off the bay too.

Just received 6-bars from Mike's Natural Soaps.
Orange, Cedar, Pepper : UNBELIEVABLE- Go buy yourself one if you haven't tried this!
Lemongrass + Eukalyptus : Very refreshing
Rose + Cedar : I love the rosewater fragrance on this
Bay Rum
Hungarian Lavender
Pine + Cedar

The 1949 (U-4) Super Speed, NOS! The best part? I got two of them!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 516
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 516
When I was a young soldier, I kept a set of inspection-ready (new!) stuff handy, so that I wouldn't have to clean my personal hygiene stuff hours before an inspection.

I found a much-older troop's set. Only thing missing was the razor, but the Colgate Shaving Stick, Lifebuoy and Colgate Tooth Powder are all unused. I'll let you know how the soaps work out. The tooth powder, not so much.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 517
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 514
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 513
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 513
When I was a young soldier, I kept a set of inspection-ready (new!) stuff handy, so that I wouldn't have to clean my personal hygiene stuff hours before an inspection.

I found a much-older troop's set. Only thing missing was the razor, but the Colgate Shaving Stick, Lifebuoy and Colgate Tooth Powder are all unused. I'll let you know how the soaps work out. The tooth powder, not so much.

Packtray

This is awesome! love it.

PS, blades arrived today will report back on that thread after use, thanks again.

I went out for my first try at searching the antique stores this weekend, I was just trying to find anything that interested me, first off it was dissapointing because it appeared someone else had the exact same idea the day before, because out of 3 different stops they had all sold the straights they had the day before. The only straight that was left had a huge chip missing which is really sad because it was a WWII straight from germany. Finally at the last store when I had lost hope of finding anything of value I was at least lucky enough to find an old spice shave mug from the 50's for 5 dollars... well 2 mugs I'm wondering if I should go back for the other.

Picked up what should be my second to last brush purchase for a while:

proxy.php

Rooney Heritage Emillion 2. What a handle!

I have my eyes on a tortoise Simpson here soon.

It never hurts to stop in your local junk store if you have a few minutes to kill. Best $4.50 I've ever spent so far this week. On the bottom it says "Royal Albert Fine China. 1962. Old country Roses. It's 2 1/2 inches tall x 3 3/4 inches wide. Not a chip or a scratch on it. It fits the hand just right.$20131108_204958.jpg

I'm still buying them in bulk lots. 67 this time not counting the handfull of Durhams that were thrown in. Most have the coffins as well. The more interesting of the lot is 4 more W&Bs to add to my collection of 30 + now, a DD Satin edge to add to my collection of Goldedges, several Spikes , yeah, I have quite a few of these as well, Torreys, Wosty's, Worchesters, Artists, many Genevas and Genco's Le Coutoure frameback ( yes, I have these too!) and low and behold a pristine Pearl King,,,,, I didn't have one . A decent score I think.

Attachments

• $IMG_6017.jpg
    $IMG_6017.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 463
  • $IMG_6018.jpg
    $IMG_6018.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 462
  • $IMG_6019.jpg
    $IMG_6019.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 461
  • $IMG_6020.jpg
    $IMG_6020.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 465
  • $IMG_6021.jpg
    $IMG_6021.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:
I'm still buying them in bulk lots. 67 this time not counting the handfull of Durhams that were thrown in. Most have the coffins as well. The more interesting of the lot is 4 more W&Bs to add to my collection of 30 + now, a DD Satin edge to add to my collection of Goldedges, several Spikes , yeah, I have quite a few of these as well, Torreys, Wosty's, Worchesters, Artists, many Genevas and Genco's Le Coutoure frameback ( yes, I have these too!) and low and behold a pristine Pearl King,,,,, I didn't have one . A decent score I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom