What's new

What Animal have you seen in the wild, that was a rarity for you ?

When I was white water rafting in Maine (20 minutes from the Canadian border), I saw two moose. Unbelievably large creatures. I wish I had a camera on me when I saw them.

spotted this fellow in the trees just outside Aspen CO last week.
Looks like either a roadrunner or a ptarmigan.
Any birders out there who can ID??
$ptarmigan-46281s.jpg

When I was white water rafting in Maine (20 minutes from the Canadian border), I saw two moose. Unbelievably large creatures. I wish I had a camera on me when I saw them.
I had a phone with a camera as one walked right past my Jeep on the side of the Kangamangus in the White Mts. in NH a few years ago. Did not get a shot in the early morning light as I fumbled around getting the phone out of my pocket. My son could have touched him out the passenger side window as he ambled by and ducked in the woods. Glad I had a witness!

This kind of condor when crossing the Andes to Chile and in Cordoba's mountain range - they feed on puma cubs.

This carpincho in Iguazu falls.

These spiders are gigantic but harmless, they are called Chicken spiders. They move around with their offsprings. When I was 16 I seated on top of one by accident. Cousins had the best of times, not me.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1411856560931.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1411856560931.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 113
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1411856660176.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1411856660176.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 115
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1411856792219.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1411856792219.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 113
hawks are not totally rare here, but this one was particularly large and roosted on the culvert behind our house, in a driving rain this afternoon.
perhaps after having a nice meal?

proxy.php

ISO 3200, 1200mm, f/8, 1/250th sec., handheld!

hawks are not totally rare here, but this one was particularly large and roosted on the culvert behind our house, in a driving rain this afternoon.
perhaps after having a nice meal?

proxy.php

ISO 3200, 1200mm, f/8, 1/250th sec., handheld!

Looks like an immature red-shouldered hawk to me. Nice shot.

Don

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I was walking to my truck after work, and was approaching our dumpster, which is surrounded on 3 sides by a wall. I saw a racoon and realized if I kept walking he might think he is cornered. As I didn't feel like fighting with a racoon last night, I went back the way I came and exited from the other end of the building.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I was walking to my truck after work, and was approaching our dumpster, which is surrounded on 3 sides by a wall. I saw a racoon and realized if I kept walking he might think he is cornered. As I didn't feel like fighting with a racoon last night, I went back the way I came and exited from the other end of the building.

That's funny when you read it matter of factly. "ehh, not tonight" :laugh:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
That's funny when you read it matter of factly. "ehh, not tonight" :laugh:
Yeah, luckily I am smart enough that that will be the same choice 98.3% of the time :biggrin: I grew up watching British comedy, so understated sarcasm comes naturally to me.

Top Bottom