What's new

What Animal have you seen in the wild, that was a rarity for you ?

How about an animal in the water...

I have been fortunate enough to see a good deal of sea animals, but I think rare ones for me were hammerhead sharks off the wall in Grand Cayman.

Saw a desert fox the other day walking around at midnight. We were heading in the opposite directions and crossed paths within 6 feet of each other. I stopped. He stopped. And I thought to myself that is the skinniest mangiest animal I have ever seen. And he probably thought the same of me. And we continued on in opposite directions.

Saw a desert fox the other day walking around at midnight. We were heading in the opposite directions and crossed paths within 6 feet of each other. I stopped. He stopped. And I thought to myself that is the skinniest mangiest animal I have ever seen. And he probably thought the same of me. And we continued on in opposite directions.

Mangy....probably sick. I'm referring to the fox, not you. :001_smile

That was going to be my story! haha
I haven't seen one this trip, but there was one that hung out around our ops building last year I was out here. He was skinny, but definitely a cute little bugger. He definitely was used to the foot traffic in the area. He just sniffed around and headed out. He was a usual sight out there.

Found a opossum not far from my house which is no big deal, but this one had a whole litter of pups with it. Until that day I had no idea that they were marsupials until I saw one of its young crawl in the pouch. Quite interesting.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406633402.342594.jpg

This large female cow killer ant showed up in our Georgia yard. My wife was playing with it for a while until my daughter went online and learned that it can deliver a painful sting.

I always wondered what quantity of krill is required to satisfy a blue whales appetite.

They were so dense that they made the ocean dark orange. We must have seen at least 15 different blues. They were just plowing through them and feasting buffet style. That coupled with several huge naval vessels made it a ridiculously awesome day. All I needed was a B2 to do a flyover and we could've called it a life.

They were so dense that they made the ocean dark orange. We must have seen at least 15 different blues. They were just plowing through them and feasting buffet style. That coupled with several huge naval vessels made it a ridiculously awesome day. All I needed was a B2 to do a flyover and we could've called it a life.

Looking at your photo made me feel like Melville in the morning.

That's the Charles W. Morgan, the last wooden whaling ship, in dry dock a few years ago. It's back in the water in Mystic now. You didn't happen to get a ride on it, did you?! I had just finished reading Moby Dick before making a trip to CT when I got this and a few other photos. Actually, I guess it only toured New England harbors and did not go on whale watching expeditions this summer. Whatever the vessel, it looks like an amazing trip!

Last edited:
That's the Charles W. Morgan, the last wooden whaling ship, in dry dock a few years ago. It's back in the water in Mystic now. You didn't happen to get a ride on it, did you?! I had just finished reading Moby Dick before making a trip to CT when I got this and a few other photos. Actually, I guess it only toured New England harbors and did not go on whale watching expeditions this summer. Whatever the vessel, it looks like an amazing trip!

No, I'm in San Diego. We rode on the 139 ft. America. Next Level Sailing. Very pro outfit.

I found a live badger...

Most of my best sightings have been in preserves. Shortly after landing on my campsite in the BWCAW, I heard a giant splash. It turned out to be a moose and her calf swimming across the little bay I was in (~30 yards away).

I've paddled past bald eagles in BWCA too.

I was very close to a bighorn sheep at Glacier National park. I have a picture somewhere...

It's always a thrill, isn't it!

I was in northern Maine on a black bear hunt and saw my first fisher. A raccoon happened by my tree stand and jumped over a log, the fisher came through about 5 minutes later and crossed the coon's trail. It headed the wrong direction at first then did an about face and proceeded to jump over said log. Apparently the raccoon was hanging out back there, because as soon as the fisher hit the ground all he'll broke loose. They fought for about 30 seconds and needless to say the fisher won that battle. I have never heard a sound like that before in my life.

I was in northern Maine on a black bear hunt and saw my first fisher. A raccoon happened by my tree stand and jumped over a log, the fisher came through about 5 minutes later and crossed the coon's trail. It headed the wrong direction at first then did an about face and proceeded to jump over said log. Apparently the raccoon was hanging out back there, because as soon as the fisher hit the ground all he'll broke loose. They fought for about 30 seconds and needless to say the fisher won that battle. I have never heard a sound like that before in my life.

In Maine, we call that Tuesday. :001_cool:

Top Bottom