What's new

What Animal have you seen in the wild, that was a rarity for you ?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Nice thread, the one I always remember is a Bighorn Sheep, in the Wind River, WY many years ago. Laboring along a trail next to an overhang, I heard a thundering noise, then a snort .. after using up the only pair of U-trou that were left, looked up and the ram was standing maybe 20 feet above my head ..

Hereabouts I was surprised to find these in the backyard of a winter's morning ..

$459.jpg

I saw a praying mantis in the parking lot of our building eating on some kind of bug it caught and killed. I've never seen one in the wild before.

Had a cougar cross the road in front of me some years back. First and only time I have seen one in the wild. We see an occasional coyote here, and back home in La and occasional black bear.

The rarest for me was the coral snake I posted a couple months ago. I'll post the shot of the 200+ pound wild boar that busted out of the brush on the trail behind me about 6 months ago. I saw him in the middle of a marshy area, and he bolted into some brush near the trail. As I walked by I could hear him, so I got my iPhone out and kept walking. About 20 yards farther, I heard a tremendous rustling and I knew he was making a dash for it! I turned and hit the capture button just as he bolted across the trail.
Rarity? Not really, but still pretty cool to see one. Saw 5 ft gator roadkill earlier this week. I won't post that photo. Pretty gory.

I forgot, but last summer I saw a family of foxes in broad open daylight playing, just off a highway exit in E. Texas, it was about 6 pm so plenty of daylight left. It looked like two adults and 4 youngsters.

I forgot, but last summer I saw a family of foxes in broad open daylight playing, just off a highway exit in E. Texas, it was about 6 pm so plenty of daylight left. It looked like two adults and 4 youngsters.

They're neat animals, for sure. Whenever I see them they seem to be engaged in altercations with domestic cats. On a farm where I had my first real job, I was walking toward the milking parlor when I heard this almost unreal scream, it kept repeating, so I looked up the pasture lane to see the matriarch barn cat cornered by a fox. I watched for a while, and then raised my hands over my head. The fox saw me, and ran off. Mother cat came scurrying rapidly back to the barn, and when she got inside, she was meowing like crazy. I don't speak cat, but I think it meant "thanks!"

Don

Probably a pole cat i see a wild boar about every other day here if i take a walk on a trail wild life is anything but scarce here

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member

Where you live Jeff, have you ever saw the Fouke Monster? :lol:

What made this a rarity was seeing all 5 in less than 2 hours day before yesterday. This may just make me consider laying down my camera and picking up my rifle for the first time in years.$DSCF1009.jpg$DSCF1022.jpg$DSCF1030.jpg$DSCF1038.jpg$DSCF1041.jpg

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
After the first three, I think I would have gone to the house for a rifle. The last one looks almost like a muley with those big ears.

A mating pair of wedge-tailed eagles in the western river region of Kangaroo Island. Nothing quite like having a pair of raptors with nearly two metre wing spans (~7 foot) take wing right in front of you when you haven't spotted them in the scrub.

Top Bottom