What's new

What Animal have you seen in the wild, that was a rarity for you ?

I just saw these two guys hanging out next to my car in the courthouse parking lot ...

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415651853.073660.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415651872.914502.jpg

Some lady was walking around holding a hedgehog at Walgreen's today. Since it was a San Francisco Walgreen's (in the Mission) it kind of qualified as the wild.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Some lady was walking around holding a hedgehog at Walgreen's today. Since it was a San Francisco Walgreen's (in the Mission) it kind of qualified as the wild.

That reminds me...there was a lady that had 3 monkeys with her in my store about 3 weeks ago. They were some type of very tiny monkey from a far away place. $3,000 each she said. I said that's bananas!
Should have got a pic.

I stopped, on my way home from Denver, at the top of Wolf Creek pass. There was a deep impression just off the road. I found some tiny wild orchids, set up my camera laid down on the ground and took a few pics. Then I smelled something real strong and musky, heard a deep growl and large piece of wood snap. I looked up to see a grizzly standing up on two legs not 50 feet from me, up hill. This was not some itty bitty black bear this SOB was F--ing huge. My only thought was to ease my way in the opposite direction. He dropped down to all fours, low growled, did a small lunge forward (I just about soiled my drawers) then turned and walked away. I had my camera in my hand but I was more worried about not peeing myself. Guess I'm lucky he wasn't hungry.
Officially, there are no Grizzlies in Colorado. But the last recorded one was not far from where you were. You should call the local DOW office and report what you saw.

I saw a Pacific Fisher in along the Lochsa River in Idaho. While I was reading a book, he just kind of strolled through camp, passing about three feet in front of me. I thought it was some kind of cat for a minute when I caught it out of the corner of my eye. As soon as I slowly reached for my camera, he bolted.

Officially, there are no Grizzlies in Colorado. But the last recorded one was not far from where you were. You should call the local DOW office and report what you saw.

I know Grizzlies are supposed to be extirpated in Colorado, but also have heard of some reports, lately, that may indicate a return.

Things change, territories expand, all sorts of reasons for change.

In my area ... Manitoba.... there have been new sightings. Grizzlies were thought to have been extirpated for many years. Lately though there have been reports and one shooting, I believe of Barren Ground Grizzlies, in the northern part of the province. In fact there was a also a hybrid bear shot and killed. It was part Polar, part Barren Ground Grizzly in the northern part of the province. Confirmed by provincial biologists.

There used to be Plains Grizzlies in the province but they were killed off during European settlement.

I live in the southern part of the province and therefore have not seen either polar or Barren Ground Grizzlies. Lot's of Black Bears though.

Also there have been reports, photographs and the occasional shooting/trapping of Pumas, which had been believed extirpated from the province for around 100 years. The puma seems to be returning to the province. The theory is that mostly it's young males, looking for territory, coming north from North Dakota.

Always interesting to read, hear new reports.

Saw a coyote the night before last on my bike ride home after work. It was trotting along next to the train tracks with what looked like a rabbit hanging from its jaws.

I have seen plenty of coyotes, but was excited to see this one just about 2km east of Union station in Toronto. In this particular patch of downtown wilderness I have seen foxes, rabbits and groundhogs before, but this is the first coyote I have seen there.

Enterprise,Al.
Two great fox stories. Where I was raised there was a fox den within a quarter mile of my house so It was very common to see foxes. Red foxes to be specific. I was once speaking to my wife(girlfriend) at the time on the phone and walking outside. I walked to the edge of the road and back a few times. The last time I walked to the edge of the road, a red fox jumped out of the ditch and landed right next to me. I could have reached out and touched him. I scream, the fox screamed and we took off in opposite directions to our homes. I do not know who was more afraid me or the fox.

Second fox sighting was about a half mile from my house. I was driving in a neighborhood when I saw the most beautiful fox I have ever seen. It was a silver fox. He had very little black on him, absolutely no red. He was a rather large fox as well. I flew home to get my camera and returned to take its photo. He had disappeared. Never again have I seen a fox that beautiful or a silver fox at all. Plenty grays but no silvers.

Coach whip snake. Seen this year while running, first time ever seeing one in my life.

Panama city Beach, fl- I have watched and Osprey catch fish and feed it to its young. A group of Manta Rays swimming near shore at night, near pineapple willies. I was walking with a light and there was hardly any waves but I kept seeing movement near the shore. Shined my light and there they were and seen a strange round flat crab like creature.

Look out Mountain, Pygmy Rattlesnake and in Chattanooga I have seen brown bear cubs playing together.

Tennessee mountains near Chattanooga a mudpuppy that had coloration of Tennessee cave but there was no caves in the area. A alligator snapping turtle in the same pond, a baby.

The one thing I want to see I have yet to. The black panthers that are in my area.

Last edited:
In our area we have an Osprey that likes to hang out in a dead tree on the lake. I have only once seen some very rare River Otters playing around in the oxbow lake (once a part of Red River) across from my house. There are a few Bald Eagles that live along Red River that popped into our area one time.

this young bobcat got treed on a dead palm trunk, alongside a boardwalk in nearby wetland.
he could not quite figure out how to get down, several on-lookers watched for an hour or so.
finally he backed down, jumped off and away he went!
from several years back...

$bobcat_9058.jpg

I've seen a lot in my day. Mostly marine life. I've been a USCG Licensed Captain since I was 19 and have been offshore fishing since I've been 15.

Great whites (from a distance)
Monster mako Sharks
Various types of whales, dolphin, and porpoise
Osprey's, pelicans (rare near me), rare shore birds, various ducks, etc.
Loggerhead sea turtles and spotted a leatherback once
I've caught and release monster blue marlin (800 lbs), plenty of white marlin, swordfish, tuna, shark, etc.

I do wildlife and nature photography as a hobby so I'm always looking around for birds and animals. here's a few. some may not be actually rare species, but might be rare for me to actually photo, so I'm always stoked to see them. I love taking pics of birds, especially raptors, so they'll dominate the list here...

young Grizzly:
proxy.php

Golden Eagle:
proxy.php

Ferruginous Hawk:
proxy.php

Osprey with dinner:
proxy.php

Great Horned Owl:
proxy.php

Adult Bald Eagle:
proxy.php

Female Moose sticking her tongue out at me:
proxy.php

Barn Owl on the hunt:
proxy.php

OK I'll stop before I overload this post in pics.

I do wildlife and nature photography as a hobby so I'm always looking around for birds and animals. here's a few. some may not be actually rare species, but might be rare for me to actually photo, so I'm always stoked to see them. I love taking pics of birds, especially raptors, so they'll dominate the list here...

young Grizzly:
proxy.php

Golden Eagle:
proxy.php

Ferruginous Hawk:
proxy.php

Osprey with dinner:
proxy.php

Great Horned Owl:
proxy.php

Adult Bald Eagle:
proxy.php

Female Moose sticking her tongue out at me:
proxy.php

Barn Owl on the hunt:
proxy.php

OK I'll stop before I overload this post in pics.

great sutff, justin!!

Top Bottom