What's new

Klenzo B-1019 Restoration

This Klenzo B-1019 is another restoration in progress. Other than needing a new knot, it's in great condition. Here's a "before" photo:

$Klenzo Before.jpg

The lettering on the bottom of the handle also is in good shape, except that the imprints of the "K" and the upper portion of the "L" in Klenzo are so faint as to be almost nonexistent:

$Klenzo Before Bottom.jpg

After removing the old knot and deepening the shelf-- the lower portion of the handle is filled with plaster of Paris-- I used a Dremel sanding drum to enlarge the socket a couple of millimeters to accommodate a 24mm knot. I then polished it with Meguiar's PlastX. Here's an "after" photo of the handle:

$Klenzo After Handle Only.jpg

For the new knot, I decided to go with a TGN Super Two Band Finest. I'll update this thread after I've received and set the knot. In the meantime, questions and comments are welcomed. Thanks!

Klenzo and some of the drug store brands of the 1920s - 1950s (Rex, Stag, etc.) had some really interesting designs. This one is a very fine example. I think it will look really nice in 2 band!

We look forward to seeing the results.

Thanks, Gary. I think it would look even better with a black, pure badger knot, but I intend to use this one and I've gotten spoiled by finests, supers and silvertips! :biggrin1:

Love the swirls! I've been looking for a Klenzo myself, they made some cool handles.

The swirls grabbed me as well, Matt. My photos above really don't do the handle justice; the yellows are brighter and more saturated, and the swirls more pronounced. I'm wondering whether the material is Catalin or Bakelite, as it gave off a pronounced chemical odor (formaldehyde?) as I sanded inside the socket.

Thanks, Gary. I think it would look even better with a black, pure badger knot, but I intend to use this one and I've gotten spoiled by finests, supers and silvertips! :biggrin1:

I agree that all Black would be more stunning in the visual department, but since you are going to use this a lot, you are right to go with performance and you will still be extremely pleased with the 2 band look.

A parcel from TGN arrived on Friday. After a bit of fiddling around trying different lofts, I ultimately set the 24mm TGN Super 2-Band Finest knot at 46mm:

$Klenzo Pre-Bloom B.jpg

I used it for today's shave, and here it is post-bloom:

$Klenzo Post-Bloom B.jpg

This is a nice, densely-packed knot, with plenty of backbone and soft tips. I face-lathered with it using Proraso Sensitive soap, and the brush produced and held plenty of rich lather. At 46mm loft, the knot is sufficiently scrubby, but still has decent flow-through. I like it. Now, whether it's worth the extra cost over that of a standard TGN Finest, I think the jury's still out.

A parcel from TGN arrived on Friday. After a bit of fiddling around trying different lofts, I ultimately set the 24mm TGN Super 2-Band Finest knot at 46mm:

This is a nice, densely-packed knot, with plenty of backbone and soft tips. I face-lathered with it using Proraso Sensitive soap, and the brush produced and held plenty of rich lather. At 46mm loft, the knot is sufficiently scrubby, but still has decent flow-through. I like it. Now, whether it's worth the extra cost over that of a standard TGN Finest, I think the jury's still out.

Excellent!

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a fine looking handle. Now it's a fabulous brush.

Congratulations on creating a remarkable lathering beast. I looks great.

Nice restoration, Jim. If it smells oddly under the hot water while you are rubbing it then it is catalin. After this it can be colored your towel with yellow,too.

That was a fine looking handle. Now it's a fabulous brush.

Congratulations on creating a remarkable lathering beast. I looks great.

Thanks, Redrako! I must say that it indeed did tear through the Proraso on its maiden outing today. :biggrin1:

Nice restoration, Jim. If it smells oddly under the hot water while you are rubbing it then it is catalin. After this it can be colored your towel with yellow,too.

Thank you, Bestarrkin! I noticed the chemical odor only while sanding inside the socket, so I haven't tried the rubbing under hot water test. I'll be careful with my towels, though! :scared:

Top Bottom