What's new

Official B&B Cookbook

That chili sounds delicious.
This one's simple and really good for poorer days....
Potato soup.
Fill a pot about half full (2 qt or so) and start it boiling.
While this is happening, peel 5 or 5 potatoes, leave the peel on one.
When done peeling, start slicing the potatoes into the water. Always keep enough water to keep the potatoes covered.
The water will start getting milky looking and the potatoes pieces will start floating to the top as you bring the water to a boil, keep stirring. When the water is at a rolling boil for a few minutes, turn down the heat and keep stirring gradually until it reduces to about half volume. Cut up half of a large onion into the mix and perhaps a clove of garlic. Keep it going.
When the potatoes are soft enough to slide through the slots in the spoon, Keep stirring. The potatoes will start to thicken. At this point, add milk to replace water to the original volume. Keep stirring.
When the soup is hot, season with salt and pepper, and if you wish to make a potato cheddar soup, grate about 3 cups cheddar into the soup, and stir until it reaches all the same consistency.
Sorry I don't have exact amounts, but I love this stuff...like good clam chowder without all the nasty little clams....:biggrin:
John P.

This is a very popular and rediculously easy to make Ginger-Scallion Cantonese Sauce. It is really excellent on lightly pan-fried cold shredded chicken with rice or pan-fried noodles. Anyone can make this one, and it takes less than 5 minutes:

2 Scallions
1 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 cup oil

Mince scallions. Mix ginger, scallions, and salt in a small heatproof bowl. Heat oil on skillet until it sizzles loudly when water is dropped into it. Dump oil into bowl with other ingredients and mix.

Enjoy!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
While ginger and scallion if fresh on the thread, here's a good use for them. If you ever have to (or prefer to) reuse cooking oil, drop in a piece of ginger and a hunk of scallion and heat until the scallion blackens. This will refresh the oil and remove any off odors and flavors. It even works for oil used to fry fish, although you should never use oil that has fried fish to fry anything else.

Courtesy of a venerable Cantonese lady I know, roughly 350 years old.

Here a ridiculously easy appetizer for a party. It sounds weird based on the ingredients, but I can guarantee that it will disappear quickly.

"Barbequed" Kielbasa

1 lbs Kielbasa, cut into 1 inch chunks
1 bottle of beer (don't bother using good stuff, it makes no difference here.)
1 cup sugar

In large heavy saucepan, heat beer and sugar until the sugar dissolves. Add kielbasa and bring to boil. Lower heat to barely boiling and cook for 30-45 minutes stirring occasionally until sauce is thickened and syrupy and kielbasa is darkened. This stuff WILL BE ROCKET HOT while cooking -- be very careful!
Put in a small crockpot or in a baking dish on a hotplate. Use toothpicks or small forks for serving.

Can easily be doubled. If you go past 2 lbs/bottles/cups, start cutting back on the beer & sugar or you'll have too much sauce. ( i.e., 4lbs/3 bottles/3 cups)

I posted this on another site yesterday, so I thought I should post it here as well.

Angel Hair/Capellini Pomodoro

This was originally a Tyler Florence recipe that I found on foodnetwork.com (due credit has been given).

First, I'll list his recipe, then I'll describe my modifications. Lastly, I have some pictures from the last time I made this.

Pomodoro Sauce
Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence
Show: Food 911
Episode: Ravioli Done Right--Tampa FL

2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons onion, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tomatoes, chopped
3 tablespoons fresh herbs (oregano, basil, parsley), chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
Pinch sugar
In a saucepan over medium heat, saute garlic and onion in oil for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and herbs, continue to cook for 5 minutes until the tomatoes soften. Season with salt, pepper and sugar. Serve with cheese and herb ravioli.

Episode#: FO1A21
Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

Modifications:

I always use Roma or plum tomatoes, usually 6 or 8. I cut them in quarters the long way, remove the seeds, cut each quarter into 3 long strips, and dice. I suppose this isn't necessary. It's just the way I like to make it.

I like onion, so I use an entire onion, diced.

I like garlic, so I use maybe 4 LARGE cloves, minced.

I only use one herb at a time. Ms. MK-ULTRA loves oregano, so I use that when cooking for both of us. Otherwise, I use basil. I have used fresh and cut it up myself, but lately I have been using dried because I have so much other chopping to do.

I don't use salt or sugar. I use pepper from a mill.

I cook the onions for a few minutes before adding the garlic because it seems that the onions take longer to cook and I never want to overcook the garlic.

I serve over angel hair pasta and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.

The last time I made this, I added toasted pine nuts.

It was delicious, but that is just my opinion.

If I feel industrious, I make Parmesan crusted chicken breast or tenders and mix it in.

Here are some pictures from the last time I made this. I believe I only used 4 Roma tomatoes so the tomato to onion ratio is smaller. I had two meals from this.

Tonkatsu, Japanese pork chops...for a 2 working parent, 2 young child family, this is my high speed crowd pleaser...its all technique, very easy:

thin sliced center cut pork chops pounded "wafer thin"
flour them, then egg them, and then coat them in panko...press the panko in
put them in the freezer on a cookie sheet, dont let them freeze hard, but close
heat neutral flavor high smoke point oil in a saute pan till almost smoking
fry the chops for about 30 seconds per side

watch your oil, it can get too hot and smoke and then its useless.

serve with rice, bok choy and strong, dark soy sauce...the salt flavor goes great.

Cornbread on top of Chili

I have this recipe in my Cast Iron Cookbook, but the one from the foodnetwork is so similar I decided to save the trouble of typing out the one I have and just doing a cut/paste.

I use a cast iron dutch oven to make this myself.

*** Yes, you are making the cornbread on TOP of the chili :yum: ***

Ingredients
Chili:

* 4 tablespoons olive oil
* 4 onions, finely chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 teaspoons dried or crushed chili flakes
* 2 teaspoons ground coriander
* 2 teaspoons ground cumin
* 5 cardamom pods, bruised
* 2 red peppers, seeded and finely diced
* 3 pounds 4 ounces ground beef
* 7 cups canned chopped tomatoes
* 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
* 1/2 cup tomato puree
* 1 cup water
* 2 tablespoons cocoa
* 3 1/2 cups canned red kidney beans

Cornbread:

* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 4 cups cornmeal
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 6 teaspoons baking powder
* 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 3 cups buttermilk
* 4 eggs
* 2 teaspoons honey
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* 2 cups grated Cheddar
* Guacamole, recipe follows

Serving suggestion:

* 2 cups sour cream
* Ground paprika, for dusting
* 3 3/4 cups grated Cheddar
* Special equipment: Very large pan

Directions

Heat the oil in a very large pan and fry the onion and garlic until it begins to soften. Add the chili, coriander, cumin, and crushed cardamom pods and stir well.

Add the peppers then break up the ground beef into the pan and, using a fork, keep turning it to separate it as the meat browns. Add the chopped tomatoes, ketchup, tomato puree, and water stirring to make a rich red sauce. When the chili starts to boil sprinkle over the cocoa and stir it in. Add the beans and simmer partially covered for 1 1/2 hours. At this point you can cool and freeze the chili, or just keep it in the refrigerator overnight.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Pour the chili into a large, wide dish or keep in the pan you cooked it in if it is ovenproof.

Combine the salt, cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and cinnamon in a bowl. Whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, honey, and oil in a jug, and then stir into the dry ingredients mixing to make a vivid yellow batter.

Pour the cornmeal topping over the chili con carne, or blob it over to cover the top as evenly as possible.

Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the cornbread and then bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the cornbread topping is risen and golden and the chili underneath is bubbling. How long this takes depends on the how cold or hot the chili was when it went into the oven. Since it's such a huge vat, you may find it easiest to reheat it on the stove in its pan first.

Let the chili stand for about 5 minutes once out of the oven before cutting the cornbread top into squares or slices to serve with a helping of chili underneath.

Bacon Wrapped Roasted Garlic Pork Loin

This is a recipe by a person I know from another message board. I have yet to have anything he has created not taste exquisite.

* 1 pork tenderloin
* 1/2 lb of bacon
* 3 heads of roasted garlic
* 2 shallots finely chopped
* 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
* 1/2 cup of white wine
* 1/2 cup of dark chicken stock (if you don’t have any dark chicken stock just use regular chicken stock)
* TB of butter
* Kosher salt and pepper

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Rub the pork loin with the salt, pepper, and roasted garlic.

Take the bacon and wrap it around the loin so the whole loin is covered in bacon. Using butcher twine secure the bacon to the loin every inch or so. This way the bacon stays attached to the meat through the whole cooking process.

proxy.php

Over medium stovetop heat place the loin in an oven safe pan and brown on all sides (about 5 minutes a side). Insert an oven safe thermometer in and place in the oven till 140-145 internal has been reached (do not fear despite urban legends medium pork is not going to kill you).

Once the pork loin has reached the proper internal temperature remove it from the oven and set on a cutting board to rest for 10-15 minutes.

proxy.php

Out of the pan drain all but 1 tb of the bacon grease and add in the tb of butter. Place this over medium heat and add in the shallots and cook for 2 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for another minute.

Add in the wine and scrape the bottom of the pan. Cook till the wine has been reduced by 1/2 (about 5 minutes).

Add in the stock and bring to a boil and reduce till the sauce coats the back of a spoon (about 5 minutes).

proxy.php

After the pork loin has rested cut it into sections.

Serve with the sauce drizzled over top.

proxy.php

I'll have to dig through the collection and see what I can come up with.

In the meantime, anyone feel like authoring these recipes into a downloadable PDF on a set date (2-3 months from now)? If we're doing an official B&B cookbook we might as well make it official. :biggrin:

Top Bottom