What's new

Question to Slant owners: What is the blade gap on your Slant?

Gentlemen - I would like to have your input regarding the blade gap on your Slants.

If you would be so kind as to tell me the following info:

1. When did you buy the Slant? Better yet when was it manufactured (I don't know how to find that out, though)?

2. Does the blade gap change from the left to the right side, and if so, by how much?

I need to go a bit into the details on this one, so that we are all on the same page: The blade gap on my Slant, which is fairly new, does change from left to right as illustrated in the first post of this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18255
Specifically, I am referring to the second picture, the third drawing from the top on the right-hand side, the one with a slightly angled horizontal line and a more angled dashed line underneath.

However, I do have a report of a Slant, where the gap does not change. That Slant appears to be considerably older.
So please, look at the razor with the handle pointing down and the blade edge pointing towards you. Estimate the vertical distance between the blade edge and the top of the teeth on the guard. Detecting differences in the gap from left to right may be easier if you tilt the razor backwards. I tried to take pictures of my Slant, but the reflections of the light off of the various shiny surfaces obscures things.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Best - MM

Are referring to the Merkur slant specifically ? Many companies made them and there are many slight variations in the design of the heads.

When measuring mine using a machinist's rule, there was a difference of 1/64 inch, wider on the right side. I measured by placing the rule on the top of the first "tooth" on both the left and right side, and measured to the edge of the top blade guard. I did this on both sides, and the difference was 1/64 of an inch.

I purchased this slant, I think in early spring of 2007.

Don

Thanks Black Adder!

Although I'd be thrilled with actual measurements like this one, a rough estimate would be sufficient as well.

And yes, I was referring to the Merkur Slant. To the best of my knowledge, it is the only one that is still made and widely available, so that's what I am interested in most. Thanks for pointing that out.

Keep 'em coming.

Best - MM

MM --

I bought a Slant a little more than a year ago, from another B&B'er. I think it was new in autumn '06. I've since packed it away, and in any case don't have the ability to measure it. From memory, the blade centered well from side to side. There was a minute increase in gap along the safety bar that was visibly apparent. Offhand, 1/64th of an inch increase sounds about right.

-- John Gehman

I measured two slants, one chrome one gold. I used a desk ruler, and I'm no machinist.

That having been said, measured from top of relevant tooth to bottom of cap, I get:

2 mm on right side
1.5 mm on left side

I measured two slants, one chrome one gold. I used a desk ruler, and I'm no machinist.

That having been said, measured from top of relevant tooth to bottom of cap, I get:

2 cm on right side
1.5 cm on left side

I assume you mean 'mm' instead of 'cm'. That would match my own Slant pretty well.

Thanks a lot. Best - MM

I assume you mean 'mm' instead of 'cm'. That would match my own Slant pretty well.

Thanks a lot. Best - MM

Ahem.

Actually, A-hem-mm now that I think of the pun. Yes, "mm".

Previous post is edited to ensure that people don't get scared off the slant.

Top Bottom