What's new

Jnat Users - Do you seal the back of your stones?

I have not sealed by Nakayama Asagi as it is mounted to a wooden base. My Kiita came sealed. I use clear nail polish on the stamps on my naguras...

So I'm resurrecting an old thread to ask: When sealing Naguras, I should seal all sides that I choose not to use to rub on the base stone to create slurry, correct? And what happens when those sides are ground down even farther? Will the sealant (in this case clear nail polish) become a detriment to the process?

Thanks,

Frank

Frank the way I see it, you will chamfer the edges if you get that close so no touchie the sealer.

I sealed the wrong side of one of my nagura (no maintenance when drinking!) and it came right off with the DMT.

Most lokely, It wont bother anything, but you can lap the sealer back when you get close to it.

Frank the way I see it, you will chamfer the edges if you get that close so no touchie the sealer.

I sealed the wrong side of one of my nagura (no maintenance when drinking!) and it came right off with the DMT.

Thank you gentlemen. Heespharm sent to me a complete set of Nagurettes and they are unsealed. I'll get to work.

Cheers,

Frank

Should I seal my Charnley on bottom and sides? Would spray lacquer do? What about a mix of coconut creme and beeswax (I have both for lacquering wooden strops, ditto the spray lacquer).

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
People traditionally seal jnats because they're layered stones that can absorb water between the layers, or if they have a crack or fissure on the side. Getting water in a crack was a problem in the olden days when you left your hone in the tool shed and it froze at night.

I doubt you need to seal any novaculite.

Cheers, Steve

I sealed mine with Windsor and Newton brand oil paint medium and turpentine just to thin it down a touch and that's it. I wonder if the coating that Gamma mentioned on page one in reference to what's common in Japan is nitrocelulose. That's a glossy finish found on many high end guitars now days.

People traditionally seal jnats because they're layered stones that can absorb water between the layers, or if they have a crack or fissure on the side. Getting water in a crack was a problem in the olden days when you left your hone in the tool shed and it froze at night.

I doubt you need to seal any novaculite.

Cheers, Steve

Thank you for the info. This is the underside (non cutting) of the Charnley (see pic). I was thinking about sealing it because 1) It looks pretty 2) I'll be travelling with it across N Europe, so maybe sealing would be no bad idea - it can get pretty damn, dang, darn cold in a Norwegian airplane hold in winter, and it might well be left overnight in a lean-to shed somewhere near the arctic circle.

Spray lacquer dries fast, but I'd think it would do the job, no bubbles etc...

Thank you,
Robin

$char clean 2 b n b.png

Charns can loose pieces at the edges and sides. Sealing one that could be prone to that sort of thing is probably a good idea, esp if you're traveling with it.
Idyllically, you'd want to use a sealer that penetrates into crevices and pores and whathaveyou - not so much one that just sits on top. A thinned out brushed on lacquer would be advantageous over one that sprays on I think.

Ahhh - Nitro, love the stuff. It is interesting stuff but difficult to work with, hard to get sometimes and it's prone to crazing also. Great for a 59 Gibby but maybe not so much so for a Jnat. The last time I used Nitro it was to antique the grille cloth on a rebuilt blackface Bassman. I've done whole guitars with it too, but not in a verrrrrrry long time. Last one was a 60's SG... all black. Miss that axe....

Ahhh - the Bassman, you can smell the music.
Thank you. That gives me some confidence that my instincts were right on the need for sealing, (even if they were not on the spray lacquer.).

Charns can loose pieces at the edges and sides. Sealing one that could be prone to that sort of thing is probably a good idea, esp if you're traveling with it.
Idyllically, you'd want to use a sealer that penetrates into crevices and pores and whathaveyou - not so much one that just sits on top. A thinned out brushed on lacquer would be advantageous over one that sprays on I think.

Ahhh - Nitro, love the stuff. It is interesting stuff but difficult to work with, hard to get sometimes and it's prone to crazing also. Great for a 59 Gibby but maybe not so much so for a Jnat. The last time I used Nitro it was to antique the grille cloth on a rebuilt blackface Bassman. I've done whole guitars with it too, but not in a verrrrrrry long time. Last one was a 60's SG... all black. Miss that axe....

Done, with brush on lacquer (mods, I'm not gonna hijack this into a Charn thread) :-
$1 charn 3.jpg$1 charn 2.jpg$1 charn 1.jpg

I have used Epoxy resin , cyanolide glue or superglue and cyanoacrylate glue ,for sealing my Jnats .
Pretty much everything works
Every natural stone must be sealed , as the watter enter the cracks between layers and crack your stone .
I seal almost every natural hone i have .

Top Bottom