What's new

On the hunt for a new pen

I own two fountain pens, at this point. A Parker Sonnet SS GT and a Parker Urban. Both are nice, but I think I want something large and heavy with some good line variation and plenty wet. Possibly a flex tip?

Here's the rub... I want to stay under $50. Preferably lower. Everything inexpensive I see is plastic... I like metal bodies. Does anyone have anything they can recommend?

For everything I do t think such a pen exists -the flex a pilot metropolitan is metal but not sure its large enough for you

Most pens are acrylic (a kind of plastic... but not plastic) thr metal and heavy pen are really narrowing you selections at 50 bucks... you may want to save up to get into some other options... or you may have to settle for a few of your choices rather then everything in one pen

I was kind of afraid of that. I am a total fountain pen newbie, and a big cheapskate. That Pilot Metropolitan Flex looks pretty good. How is the ink flow? Is the nib fairly smooth?

Also, I caught a review of a Jinhao 159 on Youtube. It's suspiciously cheap, but seems to have many of the the things I like, minus the flex. Anyone have any experience with it?

Last edited:
+1 on the Pilot Metropolitan! It is well under $50 but has a substantial feel. It writes smoothly and appears to be a more expensive pen. The cost to value ratio is excellent.

Another option would be to check the Levenger store on eBay. Most would be acrylic/resin, but I love the six I have. Great writers. I get lots of comments on them.

A third option would be the Lamy Al-Star. It is essentially a Safari with an aluminum body. It is light, but a workhorse in my rotation. The one downside is that over time it shows more wear than the Safari. The anodizing tends to scratch. I'm okay with that, but others may not be.

Keep your eyes open for Rotring Initial. They don't make them any more, and they seem to be going for $65-80 these days on ebay new, but a few years ago when I got mine they were everywhere for $30. So if a used one pops up in your price range give it a shot.

It is solid metal, kind of modern looking, and with a very wet solid firm nib. You get some line variation but not through flexing but through laying down even more ink when you give it a little push. So not the most expressive pen but somehow not a nail, either. With the right ink it gets noticeable shading.

I don't usually like wider nibs but I've kept this pen and like it a lot. I think the one I have is a medium.

Flex in that price range is going to be vintage, and they aren't usually heavy.

There are a lot of Chinese made metal fountain pens. This site has a good selection. Not sure about the availability of nibs that will give line variation though.

http://www.isellpens.com/default.asp

I'm a satisfied customer with no affiliation. Good luck with your search and let us know what you get.

I have a Jinhao X750, and it's a decent pen, especially considering the cost. I swapped the nib to a Knox, which is a really nice nib for very little money. I also upgraded the converter. Even with all that, it's still about a $20 pen.

-Andy

I have a Jinhao X750, and it's a decent pen, especially considering the cost. I swapped the nib to a Knox, which is a really nice nib for very little money. I also upgraded the converter. Even with all that, it's still about a $20 pen.

This was my first thought. You can get either an X750 or X450 for $8 or less, and then put a Knox nib in it for $9. I have 2 at work that are my daily use pens, and both are reliable, and write nicely.

I really like the idea of buying the Jinhao and doing the upgrades. Anyone know a quality/reliable supplier of Knox nibs in the states? Also, what brand/model of converter do you recommend I change to?

Last edited:
xfountainpens.com. You want the K35 nib if you're getting an X750 or X450, but they tell you all that on the website. I think I'm using a Waterman converter.

-Andy

Last edited:
Top Bottom