What's new

Rubberset 600N 6th Restore with 22mm TGN 2 Band Finest (PIC HEAVY)

I had seen a few Rubberset 600N brushes before, but after seeing a Rubberset 600N restored by JaxJim, I was inspired- I needed to get one. After a few weeks, I found one for a great price. When I received it, it was quite nasty, as vintage brushes often are prior to restoration.

You can click these images for more "before" images and the full gallery

After chopping down the nylon bristles, it was off to work on the seated portion of the knot. This was my first time removing nylon, and I have to say- it was not a fun material to remove. It gets hot, melts a little. Then you have to stop boring into it, and clear your bit of the nylon that has filled the ridges of your bit. I actually snapped the tip off of my favorite boring bit, but I knew that would happen eventually. After I had bored through enough spots in the glued portion of the knot, and had pulled each stubborn piece of the knot out, I was greeted by some pretty substantial gouges in the Lucite portion of my handle. Having worked with Lucite before, I knew this would present a problem when it came to painting, and decided I needed to do something about these gouges before proceeding with my restore.

The following shot is the first shot taken after I started my gouge removal. I thought I had taken a shot of the gouges, but hadn't.

So, what to do? I started searching for a solution to this issue, as I was certain that there had to have been others who had come up against gouges in Lucite in the past... I found nothing in the community for removing gouges inside a Lucite handle. I did however find some DIY projects that inspired me to make a disc sanding mandrel for use with a Dremel or other rotary tool.

Check out the how-to for Lucite gouge removal here.

The final result of my gouge removal

After I cleared the gouges, I had to search for, and wait for paint. I'll skip the details of spending $13 to order paint online, only to finally find some locally for about $3.50.I proceeded to tape the entire body of the handle, and paint the inside of the handle with a rich teal colored paint (Rustoleum Lagoon Satin spray paint- this is the best example of the color in use, and the project that helped me decide to use this color).

After the interior paint dried, I removed the tape, cleaned up the top edge of the hole (widening it for the 22mm knot), and painted the bottom side lettering with red enamel. The first three shots are before my final coating of paint in the lettering.

As can be seen in the post interior painting, there are no air pockets between the paint and Lucite due to gouges or scuffs.

Finally, the finished brush in a recent Shave of the Day shot

Pre bloom

Post bloom

Last edited:
Thanks all. I've really been enjoying this brush. I can't see some of my pics in Tapatalk. I tried to fix the issue, to no avail. Sorry to anyone who can't see some of the pics on Tapatalk.

Beautiful, simply beautiful. Great job!

Love your choice of Lagoon Satin, although that's caused me to have second thoughts on the pedestrian red I went with! :wink2:

Congratulations on another excellent restoration.

Beautiful, simply beautiful. Great job!

Love your choice of Lagoon Satin, although that's caused me to have second thoughts on the pedestrian red I went with! :wink2:

Congratulations on another excellent restoration.

Thank you on all counts. I was going for a classic car combination: polished aluminum = chrome, Lucite = glass, teal = body paint, and red = taillights (I'm a Detroiter). Your red really looks (razor) sharp! Thanks again for the inspiration!

Here's the other half of my inspiration:

Here's a link to a gallery of gorgeous shots of some 1956 Ford Thunderbirds: http://www.boldride.com/ride/1956/ford-thunderbird#gallery/2

Perhaps this was your inspiration, Jim... :)
proxy.php

Thank you on all counts. I was going for a classic car combination: polished aluminum = chrome, Lucite = glass, teal = body paint, and red = taillights (I'm a Detroiter). Your red really looks (razor) sharp! Thanks again for the inspiration!

Here's the other half of my inspiration:

Here's a link to a gallery of gorgeous shots of some 1956 Ford Thunderbirds: http://www.boldride.com/ride/1956/ford-thunderbird#gallery/2

Perhaps this was your inspiration, Jim... :)
proxy.php

Yep, you're exactly right, Brian, I planned it all out well in advance, and that was my inspiration. Yeah, that's the ticket. :001_rolle

Thanks Snargle and codecheck! I've been enjoying this brush very much. I'm hoping that after a few more uses, I can compare this to my only other Finest, a Virginia Sheng. Both feel very nice while lathering, but when dry, the TGN seems just a tiny bit softer than the VS. I had noticed that the VS seemed to have splayed a tiny bit at the tips, and I'm thinking that when I see that on this brush, I'll be able to compare them more fairly.

Top Bottom