What's new

B&B Franklin Christoph Notebooks Paper Review

Franklin-Christoph
Notebooks
$2013-10-28 13.17.25.jpg
These are the same books that come with the Essential leather slip covers, but they are also available separately from Franklin-Christoph as well as westcoastshaving. They have a hard cover with a leather feel to them, that gives the journals a premium feel. The paper is 90gr gsm sugar can extract, it is ph neutral and acid free, eco friendly and a true performer.

$2013-10-28 13.18.46.jpg
Inside the first page has the FC brand and a few lines to fill in your name or a title of the notebook.
$2013-10-28 13.19.13.jpg
the paper itself feels great, it is a white paper with almost a pinkish hue to it i've never seen before, it is nicely ruled with no margine. The book in the first few days has a very stiff binding and will not want to sit flat for you as the cover will want to snap back closed, but after a bit of use the spine will give and become more friendly for use.

$2013-10-28 13.25.35.jpg
Colour from ink choices just pops off the page, blacks are very rich, and brighter colours like Edelstein Ruby, Sailor Ultra Marine, and Monteverde Turquoise, are simply stunning, I used my Pelikan for the ruby letting it run with a bit of flex that takes some heavy pressure to get out and lays very wet when you release the flex, it creates a lot of ink wash back as you can see with the very dark lines,... more on that in a second. The "F" I wrote was with my Pilot 6mm very wet writing Parallel nib.

$2013-10-28 13.26.03.jpg

The ghosting my camera is picking up here is far more noticeable then it is to the naked eye, as it is almost not noticeable at all, making both sides of the page very useable, a standard "F", "M", or "B" nib i bet would not show up at all for most of you which is great for getting the most out of every page. There was a tiny bit of bleed through at the top where the page soaked with the Edelstein Ruby ink, again I was pressing really hard and digging into the page a bit, for the most part this wont be an issue for most of you, and with some blotting paper it could be corrected before it would be a problem, it would take not only a whole drop of ink to recreate but also something to press it down into the page to get it to show through, amazing performance here.

the dry times were average for what the inks normally do on similar styled paper as the ink doesn't absorb into the page but dries on top, the paper is not glossy like you will find with Clairfontaine or Rhodia, but close to what you will find with Japanese paper. It really is great quality, with eco friendly resources, this notebook would be a great journal for anyone looking to have something a bit nicer laying around to collect their thoughts.​

Excellent review James! I'm holding my breath for the A5 and A6 essentials for Christmas!

Also, I thought using the 6mm Parallel was an extra nice touch. Those of us who have written with those understand just how VERY wet they write. You might as well pour ink directly out of the bottle onto the page.

Very nice James.
The paper is awesome.
I much prefer it to the Rhodia notebooks and those awful Moleksine things I tried.

It really is great paper. I'm glad to see that it's not just mine that have a pinkish hue. At first, I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.

-Andy

the stuff isn't good for what it is, The paper is just plain good. it holds its own to any paper I have or have had in my den, a great job done by all involved with its making

Thank you!

That looks nice! Only I prefer cream colored (or plain white) paper.

Still I need to check if they ship to Europe, and for what shipping fee :)

Thank you!

That looks nice! Only I prefer cream colored (or plain white) paper.

Still I need to check if they ship to Europe, and for what shipping fee :)

The pinkish hue grows on you and before you know it, you don't really notice it. You only really notice how darn great the paper is!

Santa delivered a priority mail package to my mailbox last week. The name in the return address had been blacked out and replaced with a handwritten name. Of course, black sharpie on black printer ink isn't exactly "bulletproof" if you catch my drift. Needless to say I had to play dumb when I asked SWMBO if she was expecting a package. She immediately withdrew to her hiding place for my presents (ie, our closet). I'm an honorable man, so I shall not go in search of the package. However, I did have only 3 things on my wishlist from a certain pen company mentioned in this thread. :wink2:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I can't really tell from the pics but are the pages perforated for easy tear out?

Top Bottom