What's new

Penhaligon's Sartorial delivered

I really like Sartorial as a fragrance, and love DrH soap, so your review may have just become a catalyst for my next puck.

Well it finally arrived! I rushed home to whip up a lather.

Soaked my brush, then squeezed and shook out the excess water. Loaded the brush for 30 secs, then added small amounts of water on three separate occasions (after 30 secs of working lather) . As you can see the results are impressive, especially when compared to the previous reformulated disaster.

View attachment 384793View attachment 384794
View attachment 384795
View attachment 384796
View attachment 384797

I'll leave it to B&B to decide if Penhaligons has returned as an elite soap maker!

Yeah but how is the shave?

Shaved with it this morning, and am very impressed. Not quite as moisturising as some soaps, but fits and holds it own to others I rate very highly such as SMN, AdP, CF, AOS (Tallow), I Coloniali & Acca Kappa. I feel it's a better soap than D.R.Harris.

Is it over the top the best I've tried, no. Is it an equal among the best products out there that I've tried, yes it certainly is.

If you enjoy the Sartorial scent, this soap is superb. When lathering, the scent will light up your bathroom. The performance of the reformulation is GREAT! It's slick, provides plenty of cushion and is easy to build a good lather.

I can only hope Penhaligons also use this on their BB and English Fern soaps. If that is in fact the case, then rejoice, because Penhaligons have delivered with this new reformulation.

Thanks for the photos. In the first photo, the lather looks a bit more "airy" of "frothy" than what I've experienced with the older formulation with tallow. But it looks much, much better than the first batch without tallow. I think my biggest complaint with the initial no-tallow reformulation was the stability of the lather - by the time I'd finish lathering one side of my face, the lather on the other side would be gone. It was almost comical in trying to get the magical-disappearing-lather to stay long enough for a shave. How is the stability on this reformulated version? And how close is the scent to the cologne?

Yes, that first lather shot was after less than a minute or so of work. I worked the lather for another 30 secs, which is the second shot.

The lather this morning was a lot easier to get going, and quite thick, and meringue like. I know what you mean with the longevity of the previous reformulated lather, as I had the BB. This is COMPLETELY different, and in a GOOD way. The only common thing they would both share is the Penhaligons name, they are chalk and cheese in terms of lather and performance and stability.

It was a very impressive lather and shave today, I certainly rate it amongst the best soaps I've tried. I believe this is a better soap than D.R Harris. Of course, that's my opinion, and with all things YMMV.

As for the scent, the scent is identical to the cologne.

I thought I read that this was available from the US Penhailgon's site. I don't see it there. Is it still only available in England?

I want to echo what has been said about the new Penhaligons soap formulation. I have all three formulations (tallow, 1st non-tallow, and new non-tallow). The old non-tallow reformulation creates wonderful smelling but disappearing lather for me. I could not get a decent shave with it. The new formulation is nothing like this. The lather is thick and stable, easy to whip up, and a pleasure to shave with. The tallow formula is different, but I would not say it is better.

If you want an outstanding shave soap, from both a scent and performance standpoint, the new Penhaligons is sure to please.

Gents, the Penhaligon's US web site is really wonky right now. I could not locate Hammam Bouquet anywhere in the site but it pops right up on the UK site. Sort of unusual for a flagship product to be mia. I note the main retailers like shoplondons.com still carry it so I don't think it is actually missing. I think Penhaligon's may be updating their site.

Cheers, Todd

D

Deleted member 48987

The new Sartorial is among the best soaps I have ever used. I have the BB refill on the way and ready to go in an older Pen's wooden bowl. I find that it lathers easier than DR Harris and yields a creamier, slicker lather as well. The strong scent and great performance make it a big winner in my book. Honestly, in my opinion the Pen's reformulation is the best thing to happen in the shaving world for quite some time. Most new products have disappointed me in some way or another, but not this one.

The new formula of Pens soaps are right up there with all of the high end soaps that I have or have had .... I love the lather it produces and the shave has such great glide with my straight or my Cobra Classic.

I wonder if the same folks who are making pens soap now are also making the floris soaps? Don't have the pens yet but have the floris89 & it back.

Was there a second reformulation of Floris as well? I have a couple of pucks from 2009'ish. They are both palm based, but I get great lather out of them.

Now I have to figure out how the English Fern and Sartorial smell! Two different fougeres?

~~~wanted to throw my 2 cents in here...

AFAIK, the two of these are the only fougeres Pen's offer. I asked Mrs. Jake for both of these last year (Christmas gifts) and she delivered...100 ml bottles each. FWIW, I'm wearing English Fern now...two shots to the heart around 11 AM Saturday and I can still detect Geranium. I don't dare over do it with either one of these, both frags wear strong for me

I'm looking forward to trying the Sartorial shave soap. I need it like another hole in my head what with all the shave soaps I've accumulated (and kept!) thus far but Sartorial is such a wonderful scent, I wouldn't mind ordering it in an A/S if were available

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Gents, according to Penhaligon's email English Fern shave soap is discontinued. I suppose we will see it listed til it is sold out. Who knows? These old English houses are quirky to say the least. It would not surprise me to see conflicting information for months on this. Particularly with Penhaligon's. Remember when they changed the tallow 5th soap to all veg? If memory serves they would not confirm or deny the change til the product actually showed up on their site. And even then direct emails to them resulted in conflicting information. At least I think I am remember things correctly. I would love to see the new formulation made in English Fern scent but I doubt it is going to happen.

Cheers, Todd

Top Bottom