What's new

Penhaligon's Sartorial delivered

My sister-in-law brought me the new Sartorial soap from London. I used it yesterday and it lathers beautifully, so I assume it is a new formulation, although I never used Pen's in the past and am going by the negative comments I read. My reference is my beloved D.R. Harris Arlington. This is comparable but I do not know if the price difference is justified. I will use it some more before drawing a conclusion. I really like the scent, but I can't describe it. It is beautifully packaged and they included a sample of Blenheim Bouquet EdT which I had to convince my wife was a men's cologne by explaining it was Churchill's favorite. I suppose I can justfy the cost by the amount of shaves one puck provides, but I will be surprised if I ultimately put it that far ahead of Harris, if at all.

Awaiting your comparison between Penhaligon's and D.R. Harris with great interest!

I have used both the new Sartorial and several flavors of D.R. Harris. My pick is Sartorial. I find both Harris and the new Penhaligons formulation to easily produce an equally thick and protective lather, but the Penhaligons is just a tad slicker. My preference is for the scent of Sartorial, so my choice is easy.

I have used both the new Sartorial and several flavors of D.R. Harris. My pick is Sartorial. I find both Harris and the new Penhaligons formulation to easily produce an equally thick and protective lather, but the Penhaligons is just a tad slicker. My preference is for the scent of Sartorial, so my choice is easy.

Wow...competing with DR Harris....must be a reformulation!

Impressive!

Here's keeping the fingers crossed that more positive reviews for the new, new reformulation of Penhaligon's come through. we've already seen AoS pretty much pull this off and it would be great by me if I had an excuse to finally get my hands on English Fern shave soap. I tried like crazy to order the old tallow version and could never find it. This may hold hope for me.

Cheers, Todd

Anyone here tried the Endymion cream? Is it the same formulation as the BB in the jar? I really like both the Sartorial and teh Endymion scents and would be tempted to get the Sartorial soap based on these early reviews and teh Endymion cream if people can assure me it performs as well as teh BB cream. All this after I get rid of a lot of what I already have of course.

Now I have to figure out how the English Fern and Sartorial smell! Two different fougeres?

to my nose, the two edt's are very different. EF is very classic fern, pine, citrus, cedar. sartorial seems to have lavender, beeswax, woodie stuff.

Separately, and going beyond the topic, wish I could say how the Endymion cream works....maybe one of these years I'll get to it! But the scent is great!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 691
Odd, pine is not listed as a component of English Fern. Its primary notes are lavender, geranium, oakmoss, and a bit of patchouli. I believe it lists clover as well. I think it does list 'woods' in there so indeed, pine may be a component. I do not get it but no matter. English Fern is one of the best scents ever made in my humble opinion. The fact it hits people in such a way as to suggest all these different scents is a testament to the blend.

Cheers, Todd

It's really encouraging to hear that this newer formulation of Penhaligon's shaving soap is performing comparably to D. R. Harris. The first try sans-tallow didn't go well. I'll be curious to hear how others find either the newer version, whether in the Sartorial scent or another scent.

Do we have any pics of the lather the new Sartorial is producing??

Now that my resupply of Sartorial EDT has arrived (from OZ), I *might* have a chance to break open the shave soap puck next week!
Maybe someone else is quicker on the draw than I am!

As they say, resistance is futile.

I caved in and purchased the soap (shipping from UK to Australia), Once it arrives I'll be happy to provide pics, if someone doesn't beat me to it in the meantime.

Well it finally arrived! I rushed home to whip up a lather.

Soaked my brush, then squeezed and shook out the excess water. Loaded the brush for 30 secs, then added small amounts of water on three separate occasions (after 30 secs of working lather) . As you can see the results are impressive, especially when compared to the previous reformulated disaster.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384429578.493261.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384429599.293359.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384429614.543576.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384429631.576550.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384429669.176617.jpg

I'll leave it to B&B to decide if Penhaligons has returned as an elite soap maker!

Top Bottom