What's new

I hope this isn't the start of an AD, I've seen some of your collections.

I got my first "not new" razor to day. I bought it just to see/feel another razor. Yes, I've only one razor, a HD.

I read on the box it's a Gillette Tech Razor, but that's it.

It has a cheap plastic handle which I can imagine will be horrible to handle once the leather is up.

Does anyone know what to look for to determine what it is and roughly what year? I've read about date codes and patents numbers, but don't know what to look for and where.

Thanks.

proxy.php

Welcome v-g! I have that same model of Tech razor but I haven't shaved with it yet. There should be a letter and a number stamped on the underside of the bottom plate. Mine is an X-4.

There should be a letter and a number stamped on the underside of the bottom plate. Mine is an X-4.
Oh, that's what to look for. The inscriptions look so out of place. It says X on the left side and 3 on the right side.
What does this say about it's age?

Oh, that's what to look for. The inscriptions look so out of place. It says X on the left side and 3 on the right side.
What does this say about it's age?

3 quarter of 1977. I thought mine was much older until I dug it out today. The box does look bi-centennial (The USA celebrated its 200th anniversary in 1976), red white and blue.

Thanks!

How do you know this? Is there a good place I can read about this?

When's your X 4 from?

There is a great book out to help learn Gillettes.
"The Complete Gillette Collectors Handbook" by Phillip L Krumholz.
It has a wealth of info amoung it's pages.

This one you show is for BLADES....the one I spoke of is for Gillette Razors and other collectible Gillette items.

I have the book and it is great, like I said, full of info......:001_smile

Sorry, I linked to wrong cover. Krumholz has done a few!

proxy.php

Why is that?

You said you've everything it shows on the cover and more.

Because for me, not having a razor AD (yet), this is crazy. I know the following sounds stupid: What do you use them for. You can only shave with one at a time, and you don't shave all day.

For me a razor is something I use almost every day. That's it.

I collect LD's and what I said about razor AD can be said about LD AD too. I know.

I know it'll be times in the future I'm going to regret asking the following:

So what should I try to get, if I would start to collect (and not shave with) razors? Is there a special year or type that ranks high?

You said you've everything it shows on the cover and more.

Because for me, not having a razor AD (yet), this is crazy. I know the following sounds stupid: What do you use them for. You can only shave with one at a time, and you don't shave all day.

For me a razor is something I use almost every day. That's it.

I collect LD's and what I said about razor AD can be said about LD AD too. I know.

Well, I'll tell you, when you find some of these razors in Mint condition, it is a beautiful thing. To me, sort of like art and the history behind them is pretty cool to.

The memorabila just adds to the collection. I keep most of them in a display case or on the walls in my office. This collection all start as a way for my son and I to enjoy time togther. Not to mention when he starts shaving in a year or so, he will be starting out the right way with DE shaves.

I do have many doubles that I have shaved with and still a few to try.
I have to shave for the rest of my life. At 300 plus days a year, it will not take long to try them out.

I collect Harleys to but I only ride one at a time.....:biggrin:

I don't keep all the shavers, just the ones I really enjoy.

Well, I'll tell you, when you find some of these razors in Mint condition, it is a beautiful thing. To me, sort of like art and the history behind them is pretty cool to.

The memorabila just adds to the collection. I keep most of them in a display case or on the walls in my office. This collection all start as a way for my son and I to enjoy time togther. Not to mention when he starts shaving in a year or so, he will be starting out the right way with DE shaves.

I do have many doubles that I have shaved with and still a few to try.
I have to shave for the rest of my life. At 300 plus days a year, it will not take long to try them out.

I collect Harleys to but I only ride one at a time.....:biggrin:

I don't keep all the shavers, just the ones I really enjoy.

Well said.

Top Bottom