What's new

boker razors vs all others

i have 4 boker razors in mint condition inherited from my great grandfather who passed in 1975. i have other brands including a dovo bismark. i hone my razors and do so for several friends. i have found that my bokers take and hold an edge easier and longer than all other brands.i am a former marine combat medic, i took my boker to kuwait/iraq.it performed well with only water to wet my face. i am a fan of boker razors but cant seem to purchase a new one. they all are backordered/out of stock. i have used the french razors-my friend brings me his very expensive ts to hone but boker is the best in my opinion. i am biased i am sure. but i have a crown cutlery razor that shaves as well as my dovo.it is over 90 yrs old.

Mint condition eh? Hmmm. That I'd like to see.

Are any of your straight shaving friends you hone for members here?

Can't find a new boker? Where did you look? Straightrazordesigns.com may have them.

I've got one vintage Boker. Shaves like a dream. Been thinking about getting a new one too. Wish they made the edelweiss in a 6/8 square point. The superior shave has lots of Bokers in stock. http://thesuperiorshave.com/Boker_Straight_Razors.html

What's nice about Jarred site is that he photographs every razor and you get to pick the actual razor you want. Very helpful as well.

Love to see some pics of your vintage Bokers.

Mint condition eh? Hmmm. That I'd like to see.

Are any of your straight shaving friends you hone for members here?

Can't find a new boker? Where did you look? Straightrazordesigns.com may have them.
pus
yes surprisingly mint. the king cutters and king edward were in boxes and didnt appear to have been used.the cro wn and union cutlery razors needed polishing but are great shavers. also a crown and sword with bessimar and a platypus is in great shape.an oxford razor with germania is in excellent shape and honed very easily. i have an order for a new boingker king cutter but it is on backorder so who knows? i have honed razors and knives for friends. i am trying to spread the art of straighte razor shary toving,many of my onfriends have really gotten to like it.their major problem is when they need the razor honed they bring it to me.will tout post pix,buavt will have to get my nephew to show me how,not great with computers.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Want mint Bokers? How about a matched pair NOS Boker French points? The tang stamps date from 1924-1935.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $Bokers-1.jpg
    $Bokers-1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 326
i have 4 boker razors in mint condition inherited from my great grandfather who passed in 1975. i have found that my bokers take and hold an edge easier and longer than all other brands. I am biased i am sure. It is over 90 yrs old.

Lol yes, bias may have something to do with it :wink2:
From my experience, I've noticed that one brand/maker/grind doesn't stand out from all the rest, but one individual razor here and there WILL stand out from all the rest, regardless of who made it or how its ground. Whether it was honed better, stropped better, loved better, who knows!

"I love Bokers and if they only made shoulderless razors..."

They used to
$boker1.jpg

Bokers are my favorites of the lot. I have 3- a Silver Steel 6/8, Edelweiss 5/8, and Tree Brand 4/8.

There is a vendor (goodplace2shop) on the infamous bay who in reality owns a B&M hardware store in NC. He has a number of new Bokers for silly cheap prices (especially the Silver Steel). His service is fine, quick shipping and is selling what I see to be legit goods. Worth a look I think.

Last edited:
Im of the belief that its not about the violin so much as the player. I have experienced better shaves from certain blades but any blade with an acceptable bevel angle and edge will shave as good as any other. Holding an edge comes into play with some makers, but IMHO a great shave can be had from just about any acceptable maker.And I say blades that can take an edge as some sweeney todds are made for show only.

I am a fan of Boker blades also (great knives too), and I have several. They are nice shavers and nice quality, but not really better than many others I've used.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The Boker's above are great shavers, some of the best. I also think Buca3152 is very much right, but that isn't the whole story.

I believe each of us will find razors that shave better than others, but there are reasons for it. Maybe it's the blade shape. I like shorter more maneuverable blades. The French point is nice as it's easy to see around it. Henckels are great but I don't like them because most have a thinner tang and I like a wider one. Some razors just feel better in my hand when shaving with them, and that means better shaves.

That's ergonomics and preferences will be different for different people. I believe this has as much to do with it as anything, and top notch razor makers figured it out long ago. The second shelf, maybe not as much.

Maybe razors shave differently as they wear? I think full hollows with a belly have wider bevels when they're worn. Do they shave the same?

Anyway, those are some passing thoughts on opinions of "good" versus "not-as-good" razors.

Cheers, Steve

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
"I love Bokers and if they only made shoulderless razors..."

They used to
View attachment 378972

Bokers are my favorites of the lot. I have 3- a Silver Steel 6/8, Edelweiss 5/8, and Tree Brand 4/8.

There is a vendor (goodplace2shop) on the infamous bay who in reality owns a B&M hardware store in NC. He has a number of new Bokers for silly cheap prices (especially the Silver Steel). His service is fine, quick shipping and is selling what I see to be legit goods. Worth a look I think.

What a beauty, Sir! I checked on the Boker web site in Germany and they actually have a new shoulderless razor called Elite http://www.boker.de/rasiermesser/140514.html However, it seems almost impossible to find. Arriving for the 2014?

Bokers are an excellent razor. I've never been disappointed with the edge I've got from one. They're also happy to be honed on coticules, Shaptons, JNATS, whatever.

Top Bottom