What's new

A Tale Of Two NEW's

So, I started my DE shaving career with a Merkur 180 or 25c, whatever you want to call it. It was the only razor I used for 2 years and I got great shaves out of it. Then the post broke off the head. I had known for a while that I wanted a Muhle R89, but didn't see the point since I was getting such good shaves. So, broken Merkur, I ordered the Muhle. Then I joined here.

That started me on a trial run through the 50's and 60's with all sorts of TTO safety bar razors. Super Speeds, Slims, Fat Boys, Aristocrats. I kept going from razor to razor trying to get a good shave, and they were just always lacking in some area. I finally went back to my Merkur 25C.

Then I found a deal on a NEW LC from Krona Kruiser. Loaded up a GSB and had at it. Wow. I wasn't expecting the NEW to be this aggressive. I got quite a few weepers and several good nicks. I could really feel the blade. Undeterred, I gave it a few more shaves and gradually learned to tame the beast, but hadn't reached the "really good shave" level yet. Then I acquired a Muhle R41 (2013 model). I had no idea what aggressive meant until I shaved with this beast. My face looked like hamburger when I was done, and I've been DE shaving for well over 2 years.

So, after a week with the R41, I went back to the NEW LC. Suddenly, it was not the aggressive razor I first shaved with. I started getting consistently great shaves with minimal weepers or cuts. You do have to respect the NEW LC and not be careless, but with some attention to detail it gives up the goods almost every time. I was sold on the NEW as so many here have said. I decided I needed to try ever variation of the Gillette New, both long and short comb.

I found a deal on a NEW SC and it arrived Saturday. I loaded it with a Polisilver SI and took it for a drive. Wow. This is a different NEW. Much milder, much less feel of the blade on my face, but every bit as efficient. Talk about smooth. Really, really impressed with this razor. Shaved with it again this morning and got the same great, smooth, close shave. Almost no irritation or tiny weepers. I have a problem trying to get certain areas of my face as smooth as possible, especially my chin. I have developed some tiny tiny bumps that get the tops cut off of them when I try to shave too close. The NEW SC was super gentle yet allowed me to get close without all the weepers.

If the R41 is a 10 for aggression, then the New LC is a 7.5. I put the NEW SC at a 6. Maybe slightly lower. I was already hooked with the NEW LC, but the NEW SC has convinced me I am an open comb guy. What a fantastic shave.

So, in true B&B style, I have purchased a New Standard Tuckaway, which has a slightly different head than the NEW. I also have a Goodwill on the way and Krona Kruiser is working on a English NEW LC for me. I am going to try every iteration of the NEW and find the one that is best for me. It's hard to believe it can get any better than the NEW SC, but I would love it if it did.

So, I had a NEW that started out as a face scraper. A little perspective made me realize how good it was and how I had misjudged it. Then I found the NEW SC and realized what a dream it was right from the start.

Most people would think I'm a complete freak for being so excited about a couple of razors. These Gillette NEW's have convinced me the perfect shaving tool is out there. I may already own it.

Thanks for the breakdown. I'll admit I'm intrigued with what I'm hearing about the NEW's. I have yet to try one out...interesting though....

I love my Old Type Gillette, but have never tried the New.

How do they differ?

I have several Old Types as well. The best way I can describe it is the blade in an Old Type feels "stiffer" on my face. The shave is good, but you can always feel the blade on your skin (at least I can). I don't want to say the Old Type is uncomfortable, it just never feels effortless and you never have the thought that "is there even a blade in this razor?"

The NEW has a different base plate and it presents the blade to your face at a different angle. It's smoother, more effortless. Once you get the angle down the blade seems to glide over your face. Both types of NEW's I've shaved with felt much smoother than the Old Type.

Many of the new, modern open comb razors have directly copied the Gillette NEW. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery they say. The great thing is you can pick up a Gillette NEW either here in the BST or even on eBay for $20 or less in very decent shape. They are built like tanks and with a little care they will last another 100 years. You can either leave them vintage or get them dressed in a new suit.

If you like your Old Type, you owe it to yourself to at least try a NEW. Maybe it won't be for you, but I sort of doubt it.

So, I started my DE shaving career with a Merkur 180 or 25c, whatever you want to call it. It was the only razor I used for 2 years and I got great shaves out of it. Then the post broke off the head. I had known for a while that I wanted a Muhle R89, but didn't see the point since I was getting such good shaves. So, broken Merkur, I ordered the Muhle. Then I joined here.

That started me on a trial run through the 50's and 60's with all sorts of TTO safety bar razors. Super Speeds, Slims, Fat Boys, Aristocrats. I kept going from razor to razor trying to get a good shave, and they were just always lacking in some area. I finally went back to my Merkur 25C.

Then I found a deal on a NEW LC from Krona Kruiser. Loaded up a GSB and had at it. Wow. I wasn't expecting the NEW to be this aggressive. I got quite a few weepers and several good nicks. I could really feel the blade. Undeterred, I gave it a few more shaves and gradually learned to tame the beast, but hadn't reached the "really good shave" level yet. Then I acquired a Muhle R41 (2013 model). I had no idea what aggressive meant until I shaved with this beast. My face looked like hamburger when I was done, and I've been DE shaving for well over 2 years.

So, after a week with the R41, I went back to the NEW LC. Suddenly, it was not the aggressive razor I first shaved with. I started getting consistently great shaves with minimal weepers or cuts. You do have to respect the NEW LC and not be careless, but with some attention to detail it gives up the goods almost every time. I was sold on the NEW as so many here have said. I decided I needed to try ever variation of the Gillette New, both long and short comb.

I found a deal on a NEW SC and it arrived Saturday. I loaded it with a Polisilver SI and took it for a drive. Wow. This is a different NEW. Much milder, much less feel of the blade on my face, but every bit as efficient. Talk about smooth. Really, really impressed with this razor. Shaved with it again this morning and got the same great, smooth, close shave. Almost no irritation or tiny weepers. I have a problem trying to get certain areas of my face as smooth as possible, especially my chin. I have developed some tiny tiny bumps that get the tops cut off of them when I try to shave too close. The NEW SC was super gentle yet allowed me to get close without all the weepers.

If the R41 is a 10 for aggression, then the New LC is a 7.5. I put the NEW SC at a 6. Maybe slightly lower. I was already hooked with the NEW LC, but the NEW SC has convinced me I am an open comb guy. What a fantastic shave.

So, in true B&B style, I have purchased a New Standard Tuckaway, which has a slightly different head than the NEW. I also have a Goodwill on the way and Krona Kruiser is working on a English NEW LC for me. I am going to try every iteration of the NEW and find the one that is best for me. It's hard to believe it can get any better than the NEW SC, but I would love it if it did.

So, I had a NEW that started out as a face scraper. A little perspective made me realize how good it was and how I had misjudged it. Then I found the NEW SC and realized what a dream it was right from the start.

Most people would think I'm a complete freak for being so excited about a couple of razors. These Gillette NEW's have convinced me the perfect shaving tool is out there. I may already own it.

My journey through the various NEWs started with the SC and then moved to the many other variants from there. Not counting duplicates, I have about 10 different NEWs. They are all great! My least favorite is probably the Deluxe 15mm baseplate, but I even like that one. My current favorite is the English LC (raised flat baseplate).
The NEW is the finest line of razors every made by Gillette, in my opinion.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the English LC!

My journey through the various NEWs started with the SC and then moved to the many other variants from there. Not counting duplicates, I have about 10 different NEWs. They are all great! My least favorite is probably the Deluxe 15mm baseplate, but I even like that one. My current favorite is the English LC (raised flat baseplate).
The NEW is the finest line of razors every made by Gillette, in my opinion.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the English LC!

Doc, I think I am right there with you on the NEW's. I am really looking forward to the English NEW. It is not the one with the raised flat base plate, so I'm not sure what the difference in shave quality will be. I'm putting a pic below. I may still be in my honeymoon period but I really think I need to join the GNU club. Is there a specific membership requirement? Some bizarre initiation ritual? Let me know.

Also, if you know anything about this type of NEW LC, I'd appreciate it. It's with Krona Kruser right now getting a new nickel coat.

$EnglishNew.jpg

Jeff-

Your razor right above looks like my 7 O' Clock (British New). One of 2 razors getting replated.

My other replate is a New short comb.

In short, I agree completely with your opinion on the News and suspect that you will really like your Krona replate - that one is my favorite DE. And that's even with a rhodium replated open comb Aristocrat (1934). There's a reason I'm replating my British New and short comb - they shave as close as anything I've ever used but are the friendliest razors that shave that well. The British New, for me, is even friendlier than the short comb but just as close. Plus, you don't have that @%^#$%^#$%&&#%$ rib/ridge running along the baseplate that makes it problematic to mix and match handles.

The only thing I did differently is to swap the handle for a Tech fat handle, as I like the increased grip and aesthetics. For a thinner version, I believe (but am not sure) that there is a Tech thin handle with similar aesthetics and grip. I just never found the ball ends or bar handles to have much grip for me, but I do like the balance from the lighter handles (vintage).

Yeah. What Alex said. I have not done a comparison of the various UK NEWs. Most of mine are the raised flat bottom variety. I love them, but do not know how they compare to the one you have (or will have).

As for GNU membership, it is required that you bellow "GNU, GNU, GNU" at the top of your lungs during a full moon. Alternatively, you can use and enjoy any Gillette NEW.

In Jeff's honor, I shaved with a replated (by Krona Kruiser) NEW SC this morning. What a great shave! I may have to use it again tomorrow. The only problem is the handle (an Otto Roth). Way too slick. My iKon handle, however, won't fit in the tiny space. Oh, well ...

Last edited:
Doc...Thanks for your opinion and advice. I didn't know if one model of the English NEW shaved any different than the others. I was also hoping that you had shaved with one like I bought. I will definitely let you know how I like it. I really think I will like the English model the best based on what I'm reading, but the SC is hard to beat.

Teppanyaki...I followed your thread(s) about your journey through the NEW's and was inspired in part by what you did. It spurred me to try a new and it just happened to be the American LC. I thought, hell, if this one is this good I HAVE to try the others. So, thank you for posting all that you have. I am looking forward to the English model Krona has for me...especially since it's one you like the most. Also, I like the thicker, heavier handles better as well. The bar handle is the best so far, but for me not grippy, heavy or long enough. I am shopping through different aftermarket handles to see which I like most. I'll be using them as "Frankenrazors".

Chado...Krona does really nice work. This will be my my 4th razor from him. I've purchased them all from him already replated...except for the English NEW. He told me he just acquired it but hadn't replated it yet and I said "I don't care, I have to have it." Everything Krona has ever sent me has been well done and fairly priced. He's a great guy to work with.

Alex...you always have the best pictures and know exactly where to find them. It actually scares me the way you have them all at your fingertips. I think there is a real possibility that you are not even a real person. You may be Sky Net. I haven't decided yet. And I mean that with all the respect in the world and tongue in cheek. You are a wealth of knowledge and I always appreciate your posts. I actually saved those 2 pics of all the NEW's to my hard drive a few days ago. I am using it for a reference for all the NEW's I buy as best I can. Thanks for putting it up again.

Oh, and Doc. Thanks for shaving with the NEW SC in my honor this morning. If I get arrested shouting GNU GNU GNU in my underwear during the light of a full moon...with you come bail me out please? My wife will likely let me rot if I do that. I'm sure it's a misdemeanor....right?

Last edited:
<snip>

Oh, and Doc. Thanks for shaving with the NEW SC in my honor this morning. If I get arrested shouting GNU GNU GNU in my underwear during the light of a full moon...with you come bail me out please? My wife will likely let me rot if I do that. I'm sure it's a misdemeanor....right?

I will definitely bail you out, but it might take me a few days to drive all the way to Texas!

Doc...Thanks for your opinion and advice. I didn't know if one model of the English NEW shaved any different than the others. I was also hoping that you had shaved with one like I bought. I will definitely let you know how I like it. I really think I will like the English model the best based on what I'm reading, but the SC is hard to beat.

Teppanyaki...I followed your thread(s) about your journey through the NEW's and was inspired in part by what you did. It spurred me to try a new and it just happened to be the American LC. I thought, hell, if this one is this good I HAVE to try the others. So, thank you for posting all that you have. I am looking forward to the English model Krona has for me...especially since it's one you like the most. Also, I like the thicker, heavier handles better as well. The bar handle is the best so far, but for me not grippy, heavy or long enough. I am shopping through different aftermarket handles to see which I like most. I'll be using them as "Frankenrazors".

Chado...Krona does really nice work. This will be my my 4th razor from him. I've purchased them all from him already replated...except for the English NEW. He told me he just acquired it but hadn't replated it yet and I said "I don't care, I have to have it." Everything Krona has ever sent me has been well done and fairly priced. He's a great guy to work with.

Alex...you always have the best pictures and know exactly where to find them. It actually scares me the way you have them all at your fingertips. I think there is a real possibility that you are not even a real person. You may be Sky Net. I haven't decided yet. And I mean that with all the respect in the world and tongue in cheek. You are a wealth of knowledge and I always appreciate your posts. I actually saved those 2 pics of all the NEW's to my hard drive a few days ago. I am using it for a reference for all the NEW's I buy as best I can. Thanks for putting it up again.

Skynet...nah, hold on I'm cooking something.$giphy.gif

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Jeff_H; I appreciate your extensive review. My experience has been with a few short combs with complete satisfaction. I'm in the Highlander Challenge until the end of Oct., so I have to wait to try my red and black set long comb that I've owned for a while. It's in such super condition I've been putting off shaving with it. So I'm honoring you for the rest of the month shaving with a short comb. By the way, shouting GNU, GNU GNU might be a felony in Texas; It's not a crime at all in NC.

Last edited:
I have two English New LCs shown below. The one with the slotted holes gives a slightly smoother, slightly less aggressive shave. I also recently acquired an Ikon Deluxe OC & I can confirm that it gives a very similar shave to my New LCs, but is slightly more efficient, requiring less touching up at the end of my 3 passes. To me, the head of the Ikon looks like a copy of the Gillette New Deluxe, but not an exact copy as it covers the blade tabs.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I am "new" to NEWs. Member and fellow Wyomingite and all-around good guy mswofford PIF'd me a Goodwill NEW lng comb and I have been using that through OCtober and the Highlander Challenge. After a rocky trial with a Cadet open comb I have been getting close and comfortable shaves with that Goodwill. I'm tying to road-test NEWs and on the search for a sweet replated version but I want to settle on short or long comb. Always the gentleman, mswofford to the rescue again. I will be trying out a bar-handle short comb that he lent me! My plan is to develop a PUIF thread on the Goodwill at the end of the month and extend the generosity and PIF to someone who has not had any OC experience. Stay tuned for that. Overall, I'm really liking the open combs and I'm sure that when I settle on whatever version I'm looking for it will be in normal rotation. Gee, I wonder if my "safety bar" razors will forgive me?

Who is this Krona you speak of and how can I get a hold of him and or buy from him? After reading this thread I want a NEW.

Krona is a member here - Krona Kruiser. Just message him. He sometimes has stuff for sale as well in the hobbyist/vendor section. Replates in chrome and nickel.

Top Bottom