What's new

I have been in Texas 1 year and still discovering new critters

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
The other night just before dusk I came out to the patio for a smoke. I heard a rustling in one of our Texas Oaks. Something ran down the tree, and went up and over my fence, like a Squirrel but looked like a long tailed rat. I did some investigating. I believe it was a roof rat, who ever heard of such a thing? :cursing:

We aint got them in Yankee Country.

There are all kinds of weird things out there. A number of years ago I came across a Pseudoscorpion in our cabin up north. Blew me away as I had NEVER seen such an insect and never heard of them (they are rather reclusive)

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/pseudoscorpions

At first I thought it was a tick but it had very long front arms

proxy.php

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
To think all you needed to do to see Bigfoot was to travel to Texas!

Interesting travelling in different areas and seeing animals that are unfamiliar.

Also sometimes interesting just being in one's own neck of the woods and seeing a particular animal for the first time.

I live in Canada....not too far from either the Boreal forested area (to my north) and the Canadian Shield (to my east). Although I spend a lot of time in both these areas....one day about 15 years ago....I was astounded to see my first Wolverine. I was also glad to be some distance and in a boat (freighter canoe) on the water when I saw this fellow with his peculiar lope.

I had heard there were some Wolverines in the area....but actually seeing this relatively rare creature was uncommonly good luck for me and my family.

I just encountered my first live antelope a couple months ago, sure are beautiful creatures! Got to see one going full-tilt-boogie across a dry lake bed too, they sure are the second fastest animal on the planet! They're delicious too :D

Seeing a mountain lion in the wild the first time was exhilerating as well! I was a good distance away, but too close for comfort in my book.

-Xander

Pay close attention to the birds, Scott. Many species that you won't find in the eastern states. You'll also get some from Mexico. Texas is unique in it's geographic position; sort of a meeting ground of different biomes and biological regions and zones.

Don

On a slightly more serious note BigFoot, the tree rat/roof rat is also known as the black rat, Rattus rattus. It is the same rat that carried the fleas that carried the black plague. It's also known to transmit typhus. You might want to buy a cat, a big cat that you don't feed on a regular basis. A cairn terrier would also work.

Put bait stations around the exterior of your house to take care of the rats. You don't want those getting into your attic. We do that in North Texas.

I live in south Texas. Here are a few of my "Deck Crittters" in and around my house.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Coyote....look close.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Every day is an adventure.......

I live in south Texas. Here are a few of my "Deck Crittters" in and around my house.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Coyote....look close.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Every day is an adventure.......

The only critter in your post I wouldn't mind coming across is the turtle. Those other things give me the creeps.

Top Bottom