What's new

Domenico Caraceni 1913

Have you ever smelled Platinum Egoiste? It has some similarities, in my opinion. Seems like kind of a younger guys fresh type on the surface, but has that classic Egoiste rose lurking in the background.

It's one of a kind as far as I can tell. The incense, tobacco and rose dominate to my nose. It's a 10/10.

You could consider the CdG incense series, but those don't have quite the depth of DC, or you could go the opposite route and look at some of the Montale line, but there the incense is lacking.

Just wait for more. There is nothing else like it.

Domenico Caraceni 1913 is one of my two or thee favorite fragrances. Although I have about 3/4 of a bottle left, I've used it sparingly. I haven't seen it for sale in quite a while, and suspect it may be consigned to the dustbin of history. I'd happily wait for more to come available, but I fear it is out of production for good. Has anyone heard otherwise?

Mike

Domenico Caraceni 1913 is one of my two or thee favorite fragrances. Although I have about 3/4 of a bottle left, I've used it sparingly. I haven't seen it for sale in quite a while, and suspect it may be consigned to the dustbin of history. I'd happily wait for more to come available, but I fear it is out of production for good. Has anyone heard otherwise?

Mike
I sincerely hope that you are wrong.
Anyway I've had chance to try this superb fragrance, and can report that Costes by Hotel Costes EDT (the red one) is very similar to DC, especially concerning the choice and expression of spices and freshness that they produce. Than again, DC is better, fuller and with substantially bigger longevity.

It's definitely one of my absolute favorites. You might check the Italian site, perfumesenred and see if any is available. I know they had it once upon a time. I'm about to head out or I'd go look for you myself. Good luck. It's wonderful juice!

strop

Now half as wise
Josh, it looks to me like you need to come up with your own version of "incense, tobacco and rose"!

I would say that DC 1913 is sufficiently close to unique that there is no "substitute." Depending upon what you like about DC 1913 there maybe scents you would like to explore.

Czech & Speake 88 leaps to mind. Dark rose/geranium and incense with some of the same bitter floral orange notes of bergamot and pettigrain, to my nose. Also, more prominent wood in 88. But, I suppose, not the tobacco. 88 has its own unique vibe, too, which I would say is different from DC 1913's.

Montale Black Aoud, in particular among the Montales, would give you the dark rose, but as Josh indicated, not the incense, or at least not a predominate incense.

Maybe even Pen's Hammam Bouquet, for old, funky rose, but I would consider HB clearly unique with its own vibe altogether. Floris 89 is old, dusty rose to me, too, but is pretty far from DC 1913. Although, I would say that 89 has some of the sophistication and thus a similar vibe to what DC 1913 has. Britain compared to Italy, I guess.

Someone on-line referred to something called Pure Malt as being similar, but I do not know that scent at all.

Per a quick survey on-line, I sure do not see anywhere to buy DC 1913 currently and there are various references to its being discontinued, but I do not see anything necessarily trustworthy on that. Apparently, Lucky Scent as of February of 2013 was saying it expected to get more in, and that if the scent were ever actually discontinued, it would take down its DC 1913, which is still up. It is probably worth a call to Lucky Scent to see what those folks have to say.

What I would be interested in knowing is whether DC Ivy League will ever be available again, to the extent it was ever very available at all. I have never been a DC 1913 fan, personally, although I "get it" and have tremendous respect for it, and for the many folks that love it. (Someone on-line posted saying it had a strong clove accord to it that the poster did not like. I do not know that I could have said "clove," but that makes sense to me.) Ivy League is one of my very favorite scents, though. I think Ivy League and 1913 have overlapping house notes--green notes in particular--that really do grab me. Very, very different scents, though.

My guess is that we will see DC 1913 around again, eventually. (Of course, I am always concerned about some reformulation-type tweaks showing up in the formula.) It has been gratifying to me see the Knize products, not only Ten, but Sec, Forest, and even Two, start to be available. Seems to me there was a time quite a few years ago now that even K10 was very scarce and seemed threatened with extinction.

I doubt that DC's current owner, which I think is Gianni Campagna, is pulling a Creed intentional scarcity move. But when DC 1913 is suddenly available for a limited time only at $250 a bottle, I will have been shown to be incorrect!

This is completely experiential, and probably limited to me alone, has nothing to do with how the scents actually smell, and sure does not help anyone looking for a DC 1913 "substitute," but somehow it smells to me I lost interest in most rose-based colognes (not talking about attars and such here) with Creed Windsor. There's a scent that has something of the sophisticated "vibe" that DC 1913 does, at least to me. Windsor is not at all "dark," however.

Frustrating, isn't it?!

Last edited:

Mike

I too sincerely hope you are wrong ... although I haven't seen it for sale in a while either. What concerns me about this wait is the specter of reformulation.

I have never had the pleasure of smelling Domenico Caracini 1913, but when rose was mentioned my thoughts immediately went to Ungaro III. That might be something to investigate.

I just went rooting through my fragrances and found this bottle, which is an original Forrester Milano formulation, not the re-form. done by Czech & Speake. I've had both and sold off the C & S version:

[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to like it but then didn't like it as much.
Anything this hard to get - just forget about it and pretend it doesn't exist.

Well it seems I'll have to wait and see if it becomes available. In the meantime I'll sample a few of the suggested fragrances.

Thank you

I gave Luckyscent a call the last time I was in LA and they said that they expected to get more. That was in the spring of 2012. I'm still hoping, but I'm afraid that it's gone the way of great lost roses like Delon's Iquitos. Fortunately there are still some good ones out there.

i have a full bottle and a 30ml decant plus the shave cream sealed away.. i am afraid to use it until lucky scent restocks.. i smell the cap everyday

C&S No. 88 is the closest overall to DC 1913.

But for me, several of C&S scents contain a note which periodically smells foul to my nose. No. 88 is worth sampling if you like DC 1913.
i think they are quite similar. The rose is more prominent in No. 88.

In my nascent days of fragrance collecting and exploring Basenotes, DC 1913 was my first purchase at Lucky Scent's Scent Bar. It became a favorite. My view of it has morphed over the years from dark, night time scent to more of a sophisticated European barber shop soapy scent (based largely on comments I get when wearing it).

Shortly after I bought my first bottle, I was either smart or dumb in knee jerk reacting to discontinuation rumors over at Basenotes and immediately bought a back up bottle which remains untouched. So I am probably set for life given the variety of scents I wear.

I do hope it comes back. I have no gauge of how well it sells in Europe. I just know in US, Lucky Scent has been the only supplier I know of. I see that Lucky Scent is keeping the listing active with. "Sold out" reference. That's been quite some time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom