What's new

TOBS synthetic badger...first impressions

Finally got to take my first shave with this little guy today and it was...not quite what I was expecting.

I'm not going to make any judgments about the actual quality until I've used it for a much more significant period of time but I have some observations. I bought it mostly on the recommendations of this board so I am surely going to give it its proper shake.

1. It stunk to high heaven...yes even worse than my AoS demo kit badger brush did...the badger wasn't so horrible when you got used to it, this was something all together awful. Hopefully it won't last that long.

2. It has lost a bunch of hairs. Not so much that it seems to have affected the brush, but its surprising that something of this expense would lose much if any.

3. It does lather quite differently from my badger brush. It is very springy, and when I started whipping up the cream, it sent fluffy over hydrated and under aerated cream skyward in the mug, so that I kept having to push it back down to continue to whip it with the brush.

4. The brush acts very differently on my face than the badger. It doesn't seem to "hold" as much lather, so I tend to use more of a painting motion and go back to the mug more often than with the badger, which only needs to go back to the mug between passes.

All told...I did have a great shave and the smell should fade, so I wouldn't say these knocks against it are a bad sign or not. Only time will tell. I did remember Mantic saying something in the shaving brush video about synthetic brushes requiring a different lathering technique, I can only assume my experience is exemplary of this.

I just want to say that I have had a completely different experience.

Background: My best buddy at law school here has a girlfriend. I started wet-shaving when my wife left me. She quickly noticed how silky smooth I was. Long story short, he wanted to start wet-shaving. Problem is, he is allergic to all sorts of beasts. I decided a synthetic brush was appropriate so I did the research here.

I chose the TOBS after reading the reviews here. I ordered two sizes, and let him choose. I have been using the brush for a few months (early December). With the exception of a few hairs coming loose (above average I would say), this sucker has been amazing.

Not only has my friend enjoyed the shaving experience but his girlfried cannot thank me enough. There has been no problem with smell and the lathering ability has been wonderful.

I am not much good for an more of a review. Just my to cents.

-Jonathan

I should note that after using it for a week or so, it IS getting better.

The smell isn't as bad (though still present) and the shedding is slowing. I presume it will stop all together soon.

Once I got used to lathering with it, its been a pretty stand up brush.

Mine had some stink as well, just keep using it and the smell should go away. Mine did lose some hairs too. I was briefly worried about it, but it stopped shedding and it was never at a point where it really affected the performance.

Top Bottom