What's new

RazoRock JAWS OC

I've been using the RazoRock JAWS OC for a while and thought it was time to do a review. That, and CyberJCM put out a great PIF in the RazoRocktober thread requiring a review to enter. Seriously though, you need to join RazoRocktober for the rest of the month. It is a lot of fun!

The JAWS was my first foray into the RazoRock line of hardware. It was also my first open comb. Up to that point, I had basically just used my Merkur 34c, EJ89, and a 40's SuperSpeed. Well, this was a whole new experience for me. I happened to hit on a great razor/blade combo my first time using it.

I started with a Crystal blade in it and it was the closest shave I'd every had. I really couldn't believe that it was that good with only 2 passes. I've since used it with 3-4 different blades, but the Crystal just fits the JAWS like a glove.

Now, about the razor itself. It has a longer handle than I was used to, but after using it a few times, fits perfectly in my hand. I just have to be careful I don't grip it with my whole hand instead of just my fingertips. It is a close shaver and will bite if you put too much pressure on it. The Open Comb was a new thing for me and I think that is what makes it feel more aggressive.

I've used the JAWS 39 times since I got it and I still really enjoy it. The angle is easy to get. The quality is top notch. It feels great in my hand. And, best of all, it gives a great shave with minimal passes.

Today I used a Gillette Black blade in it that was on it's last leg. And I had 3 days of growth. It was a bit tuggy as the Black already had 6 shaves on it, but by the time I was done with my 2nd pass, it was almost BBS. I tried using the Gillette slide on the 2nd pass and that worked wonderful as well. No bites, nicks, weepers, or anything.

I know, it seems like I'm going overboard here, but really, for $15, it's a great razor and one of the best values out there.

Now.. go buy one and join RazoRocktober for the rest of the month!! :001_tongu

Great to read such a great review on this razor. I've been on the fence about getting one and might end up getting the Little Bastone instead since I like shorter and heavier handles. It's a perfect way to join Razorocktober AND Open Comb OCtober at once!

I really want an OC. Torn between the Jaws and the Little Bastone. Are the heads the same? I really prefer a shorter handle though I've not tried a longer one yet. I have an EJ89, Merkur 37c, and a Maggard MR1.

I'm loving mine so far, too. I slightly prefer the larger heavier black handle from my Cadet, but truth is the OC head works great with either handle. I'm not to the point where I use it as an everyday shaver...though I don't think that is impossible for me with this razor. Right now I am using it on every multi-day growth shave and/or for the occasional one-day growth shave.

Sometime in the near future, I hope to start using it daily to see how it turns out.

Thanks for the great review.

Anybody able to give me an idea how these stack up compared to the LC NEW? I'm looking for a pinch hitter so I can send my NEW over to Krona to get replated. The price point is certainly in the right place for me :)

The Razorock JAWS is my everyday razor now. My rotation now extends from a 89 head up to a Muhle 2013 R41 but I find the Jaws the most enjoyable and the razor that more blades work well in.
My favourite blade to date is the Rapira but all the top blades will give me a DFS shave with no irritation in 2 passes and BBS in 3 passes but sometimes a little razor burn with ATX
I have swapped out the handle (which actually isn't too bad) with the SLAB alternating with the Sabi T1.

I think the best way to buy is from Italian Barber; get the JAWS OC and the SLAB handle.

That's a great idea, Ozziedoc. I have the SLAB (just got it for RazoRoctober) and will have to try switching the handles to see how I like it.

Anybody able to give me an idea how these stack up compared to the LC NEW? I'm looking for a pinch hitter so I can send my NEW over to Krona to get replated. The price point is certainly in the right place for me :)

I have the Little Bastone OC and a couple of Gillette LC NEW razors. In my experience, the RazoRock OC razor is a bit more aggressive than the Gillette LC NEW. It's not horribly so, but you definitely need to take a bit more care when using it with your angle and pressure. I admit, I haven't used it much, since the LC NEW is so familiar and good to me. But the RazoRock is not a bad razor. And, it comes with a great handle - heavy and grippy, like the bulldog handle on the Weber or the IKon. So if you don't like the head, you could use the handle on something else.

I have the Little Bastone OC and a couple of Gillette LC NEW razors. In my experience, the RazoRock OC razor is a bit more aggressive than the Gillette LC NEW. It's not horribly so, but you definitely need to take a bit more care when using it with your angle and pressure. I admit, I haven't used it much, since the LC NEW is so familiar and good to me. But the RazoRock is not a bad razor. And, it comes with a great handle - heavy and grippy, like the bulldog handle on the Weber or the IKon. So if you don't like the head, you could use the handle on something else.

I think the Cadet OC (same head as the RR) is a good bit more aggressive than a LC NEW, but not in a bad way. Smooth and very aggressive - a good combo in my opinion.

The Jaws/SLAB has been my go to for weeks now! Absolutely love this combo! I was switching the handle around my News; both LC and SC, and have parked it on my Jaws. LOL, I gave myself a new Polsilver tonight after trying a couple different blades in it. Best blade ever IMO! I haven't used a single razor so many times in a row since starting wetshaving. I currently use approx. 17-20 razors, both modern and vintage. Great combo at very reasonable prices.

Very good review, I especially like the fact that this was your first experience with an OC. I'm new to them myself, my only OC is a short comb NEW. I've been wanting to try a couple of the Cadet models, especially the TTO they just came out with.

Top Bottom