What's new

AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH! What to get next?

So when my giveaway is over I will also be ordering some stuff for myself but what to get? I am looking for a sub $100 pen. I was liking the Monteverde Invincia Stylus in matte black and the Intima volcano grey. I am not a huge fan of the acrylics and I kinda want something more modern and nicer looking so to speak. Any ideas or suggestions? I am also looking at nibs that can give me a little variance to my writing and not just a nice even stroke.

I am also looking at some inks. I think I will get a buncha samples and a couple bottles that I know I want. I am really liking the Edelstein line from Pelikan and there are still a bunch of Diamine inks I would like. I also just started using the sample of Noodler's navy blue I have in my refilled varsity and I am really liking the colour. I guess trial and error at the best thing to find inks I like.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
why not see if something in the upcoming St Sue Auction catches your fancy.

Failing that, a nice vintage Parker 51? Looks remarkably "modern" for something 50 years old.

Definitely try the St. Sue auction first. The Platinum 3776 Century (model 10000) with a soft fine nib sounds like a good option. It was one of Leigh Reyes' top 10 pens of 2012, which is saying something, imo. If you're patient, you can get one for about $113 shipped. :devil:

-Andy

Last edited:
I'll have to check out the auction. Unfortunately It needs to be under $100 any money left over will be used for ink.

I'll have to check out the auction. Unfortunately It needs to be under $100 any money left over will be used for ink.

There aren't many great/interesting pens in the $60-$100 range, unless you find a deal on a 1990's model M200 or some other vintage Pelikan (happens). I think vintage pens are the best sub-$100 bang for the buck. If you get a bunch of samples and forgo the bottles, you'll have inks a plenty and still be able to afford that extra $13. :smile:

I sort of went overboard buying bottles of inks (good deals but enough ink to last most/all of a lifetime) over the past year. I also have about 20 ink samples, and I can't believe how long it's taking me to use them all up! Some of the sample vials arrived completely full (thanks Craig).

-Andy

Last edited:
I cannot edit my last post. I just checked out the auction and I don't think I will be able to participate. I will be gone most of the day helping people run errands and moving stuff. I will try to get on if I can but not looking good. I will however at least make a small donation.

There aren't many great/interesting pens in the $60-$100 range, unless you find a deal on a 1990's model M200 (happens). If you get a bunch of samples and forgo the bottles, you'll have inks a plenty and still be able to afford that extra $13. :smile:

I sort of went overboard buying bottles of inks (good deals but enough ink to last most/all of a lifetime). I have about 20 ink samples, and I can't believe how long it's taking me to use them all up! Some of the sample vials arrived full, though (thanks Craig).

-Andy

I am thinking samples might be the way to go. But my funds are $100 no more than that. The rest of the money is going for the giveaway and I am not taking away from that. Maybe I should wait and see what might pop up, I never watch ebay and with so many members here doing it I will probably get beat out by someone here, lol.

Sorry. I initially thought you had $100 for the pen, tops, then money for ink. These are options from the Nib Wiki that might work.

• Franklin-Christoph B&B Essential Pen (aka Model 27 Collegia) and Model 29 Bellus
  • Pelikan M200 series
  • Danitrio Cum Laude (Some NOS Danitrio pens even start out around $30)
  • Vintage Parker
  • Retro 51 pens
  • Sheaffer 100
  • Kaweco Liliput, Student Pen, AL Sport, Allrounder, Special AL
  • Pilot Prera, Cavalier, Custom Original, and Lucina
  • Sailor Young Profit and Reglus
  • Laban Mento (Lovely color choices)
  • Lamy Safari, Accent, CP1, and Studio
  • Vintage restored Sheaffers
  • Esterbrooks
  • TWSBI
  • Levenger True Writer
  • Monteverde Invincia and Arista Crystal
  • Platignum Time

-Andy

Last edited:
Ink is an option, I still have a near full bottle of Diamine Oxblood left and a couple of samples a member sent me. I was more looking for a "nicer" pen. After searching all those pens I may have narrowed it down a bit. Actually I may just end up with 2 or 3 cheaper pens and designs. I seen a few in there like a Pelikan M205 and the Pilot Vanishing Point that are just out of range.

I never heard of Platignum pens but they have some nice looking stuff for reasonable prices. I think I will research them and see where I can get them, may be a purchase. I also like the Pilot Prera and those Kaweco Sports are not bad either.

MV nibs won't give you variation unless you go stub. You may want to consider a gold nib, Platinum, Pilot and Sailor can get you into gold at just below the 100 dollar mark I know the Pilot I have gives some nice variation. The one sailor I had didn't as much and I haven't used a platinum before so I guess have a look towards a Custom Heritage 91 perhaps or a 74

The MonteVerde 1.1 mm nib will give you a small line variation .. It glides smooth as well. I have the acrylic Prima, but I think the nibs are same on all their range of pens.

I cannot edit my last post. I just checked out the auction and I don't think I will be able to participate. I will be gone most of the day helping people run errands and moving stuff. I will try to get on if I can but not looking good. I will however at least make a small donation.

The auction to the best of my memory has a soft closing. If there is a bid in the final five minutes it extends for another hour I believe.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

The St Sue auction runs for a few days.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I will check the bay and try to get on the auction, that pink pen in the preview looks nice although not what I was looking for but still nice.

Top Bottom