What's new

What is the best Pocket Knife option Under $50?

For a small/cheap/light pocket knife that's good for slacks and everyday wear, I like Kershaw's 1700 LFK. Can be had at about $25 at most sporting good stores, ebay, and elsewhere online.

proxy.php

Blade is 2 1/8 in. (and very sharp out of the box) and weighs 4.2 oz. The AUS6A steel isn't the greatest, but it's sufficient for light work.

I found this googling around the internet, I guess I should just search B&B first from here on out.

I currently carry a Lone Wolf PAUL executive, however it is no beater in my mind and I would hate to see it get abused as it was a gift.

I guess to refine the question asked, What is the best pocket knife under 50 dollars that is not made in China? Most the sites I have gone to do not list the "Made in ___" and it is a concern as I have had blades from China fail on me with rather minimal use.

Do you want one that locks open? Is the ability to open it with hand important? How big? There are many nice knives out there, for well under fifty bucks.

I was checking out our local knife shop and they had one that I really liked. It is smaller then my cheapy Smith and Wesson, but it looks sweet and is made in the good ol' USA.

Kershaw 1620 Scallion, great little "spring assisted" opener. I checked out quite a few of the knives in this thread and I got to admit this was the best for the price. The Opinel was cheap and felt ok, but it didn't have any heft, I might just pick one up to mess with. I did like the looks of the CRKT Hisstasu, but ummm that isn't particularly useful outside of knife fights.

Maybe I was under a rock but the spring assist stuff rocks, works quite well! :biggrin:

I've also grown to like my Byrd more and more. I own a Byrd Cara Cara, it cost me €23 (around $40) stays sharp like a beast, feels GREAT in the hand and is quite easy to resharpen.

They're pretty much Spyderco's without the name attached and the materials they use and the fit and finish of the blades is close to or on par with Spyderco's.

My knife knowledge is non-existent compared to the info in this thread, but this fit the bill for me perfectly:

proxy.php

I'm the suit-wearing, never-cutting-anything-more-than-string/packing tape user. It keeps me from having to carry a knife and a jumpdrive, and the screwdriver is functional enough to take apart small electronics.

Overpriced for just the knife at $60? Probably, but like I said, the combination of the tools offered fit the bill for me. :001_smile

Victorinox have some nice stuff out there. Personally I've recently gotten a Leatherman TTi which is also available with the same tools in the form of the Leatherman New Wave. I love the thing to death! I'll probably never switch from a multitool again.

The Kershaw Ken Onion is a great blade. I think I got it for about $55. The blade is about as long as a credit card is wide. Spring loaded blade, SS, solid as a rock,.... what more could you want? I've had mine for a few years, the spring is as quick as it was on the first day, and I've only had to sharpen it once after some very abusive use.

Edit- Link, price came down a bit.

I second this. Its a great little knife.

i kinda like the crkt KISS design, minimal parts, one hand opening and open locking. Opinel is great too. a nice victorinox with the tools you use is also nice. (have a boating version i carry in my lifejacket, serrated blade for (hitech) rope cutting)

While on this topic, I found that on Craig's List you can usually get great deals on knives locally and they are usually willing to ship.

I got a SOG toolclip the other day for 10 dollars, which was a steal.

For small, slim- Case Sodbuster Jr in yellow- classic carbon steel blade
For something solid, slim with a lock, the Spyderco Delica 4 in Stainless handle
Benchmade 530 is nice too, but the frame is flexy

The CRKT KISS for me is more novelty than knife. The chisel grind means you can't cut in a straight line, the liner line is a small tab
Kershaw Leek/Scallion/Chive is nice, but I'm not an AO fan.

Just my 2 cents

Also: New Graham- best dealer bar none, IMHO

"The CRKT KISS for me is more novelty than knife. The chisel grind means you can't cut in a straight line"

true, forgot to mention that, i mostly use it to open packages and the likes, so it does not really matter.

I know jack and sh*t about knives, really, but I have a Gerber Paraframe I
and it suits me just fine. I think I picked one up at Wal-Mart for a hair above $20. It's light, looks badass, has a thumb-flipper doodad.

proxy.php

S

spyderman

BTW, the Spyderco native as you linked to is another good knife, and certainly looks nicer (especially the Native III) however it has a hollow ground blade (not as robust as the grind on the Delica) S30V Steel (which is really good stuff - but the VG-10 holds an edge longer) only has a 2 position pocket clip (versus the Delica's 4) which rides lower, and is more comfortable in the pocket, the spyderhole is larger on the Delica (easier to open), and the Delica has phosphor bronze bushings (the Native doesn't) which means it'll open smoother/easier.

The Natives are great knives, don't get me wrong - and if you really want one - get one, it's a fine knife, however I wouldn't get the ones you linked to, as they're the "older" generation Native - get the Native III FRN which looks better, is more comfortable, and uses the superior VG-10 steel. It's only $5 more expensive, and is a superior knife.

The best buy though, is still the Delica, as it has more features/perks, is lighter, is a more robust design, and is $10-15 less expensive.

This is extremely incorect vg10 has nothing close on s30v s3ov is one of the most high end steel right now it can be seen on the frr native for 60 bucks and all the way up on chris reeve's knife witch have unmatched quality for maybe four hundred dollars don't get me wrong vg-10 is good steel but it's not s30v or 154cm what benchmade uses . My s30v does not hold a edge as nearlyas long as my delica.I know this is really old thread but i still think for people searching best pocket knife should be missinformed by you.

S

Sam

Delica is something I am looking at, or a Tenacious. Looking for $30 to $40 range, as my only real knife. Serrated, plain edge or combo? Pros and Cons?

Best price on Delica?

I just picked up a Kershaw Scallion and am quite pleased with it for the price (30 @ dick's sporting goods)

Top Bottom