What's new

What is the best Pocket Knife option Under $50?

+1 on the Spyderco Delica......I've carried one for several years, even after I was given a Benchmade Mel Pardue Auto as a gift (I now alternate between the 2). It's a quality everyday knife, with a secure locking mechanism, the blade holds an edge quite well, and it's light enough to not feel cumbersome.

Another option would be the non-auto Benchmade Mel Pardue with the liner lock instead of the auto. I've got one of those also, and it's very comparable to the Delica, although it may be over your $50 limit by 15 or 20 bucks.

buck knives are the best and they have a wide variety. they have a knife for just about everything and they are as solid as a rock. buckknives.com

"The Best" :rolleyes:

I'd love to know why you think this.... the steel they use is mediocre at best, they do a poor heat treat, and the fit and finish is so-so. For the money - they're "ok" - but they are a far, I mean a FAR cry from "the best" which is a pretty bold statement.

If you use a knife for VERY light tasks - IE opening a box once a week, or cutting the tag off a piece of clothing, cutting into an apple once in awhile, etc - they're fine, but for heavy users and those who REALLY depend on knives, they're absolutely terrible. You'll never find someone in search and rescue, a firefighter, a police officer, etc who carries a buck folding knife, as they just plumb don't make the grade for a heavy user.

I agree the Spydercos you showed were like toys. I don't recommend Buck Knives either. I don't find them very useful.

It's really up to you what you want for size/type. I alternate between a Douk Douk and a Gerber Harsey Air Ranger. If you want a knife that is slim and easy to carry in a pocket the Douk Douk is great. It's not pretty but it has a beautiful high carbon blade that you can shave with, some people do. The Harsey is light weight and has an aluminum handle but is a fairly good blade.

As someone mentioned, Opinels make a good pocket knife. They are a very simple design and inexpensive but have an excellent blade.

I had a Spyderco that wasn't too bad. It was better than the ones you showed.

I would bet that the ones you showed us were made in a sweatshop in China.

DaveS

You'll never ... a firefighter, ... etc who carries a buck folding knife, as they just plumb don't make the grade for a heavy user.

I guess you never know: :wink:

+1 Buck is all I carry.:thumbup1:

Personally, I'm actually not that impressed with Buck, though. I would put them about even with CRKT in quality, but well below SpyderCo, Kershaw, or definitely Benchmade.

-Mo

You won't see any noticeable differences in the "quality" steels...VG10, S30, D2, zpd189...

The spyderco Native is a fantastic sized workhorse of a knife. I prefer plain edge (pe) but the serrated is fine if you do a lot of rope cutting.. Here's a link to a review I did on the SPyderco Native a few years ago.
It's an amazing price from Walmart..
This is a representative size in hand of the Native. I think it's a Native III due to the smoothness of the scales
proxy.php

"The Best" :rolleyes:

You'll never find someone in search and rescue, a firefighter, a police officer, etc who carries a buck folding knife, as they just plumb don't make the grade for a heavy user.

This one does. Its not the only one I carry with me, however I always have a buck with me. For the things the buck wont handle (solid wire, i.e. the stuff used for drop ceilings and such) I use a multi-tool, but none of the knives mentioned could stand up to that stuff. In all fairness though, I dont use a pocket knife for my firefighting needs. It is the bigger folding hunter. You'd be suprised how often that little Buck 503 does get used.

Hey Folks,

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

In the end I decided upon a Spyderco Delica Series IV w/ a Spyderedge and FRN handle. It seems like the most appropriate tool for my needs and the price was right.

Thanks again,

Rick

If you use a knife for VERY light tasks - IE opening a box once a week, or cutting the tag off a piece of clothing, cutting into an apple once in awhile, etc - they're fine, but for heavy users and those who REALLY depend on knives, they're absolutely terrible. You'll never find someone in search and rescue, a firefighter, a police officer, etc who carries a buck folding knife, as they just plumb don't make the grade for a heavy user.
I don't think I'd say the "best" but the fact is I have put a large Buck stockman(307) through much, much more than any fireman,search and rescue,or cop will ever come close to...Their use is minimal compared to what I'm talking about....The pins stay tight and the blade works great for how it is used.....Try stripping 750 THHN cable for weeks on end at times over 15 years with the same knife.....Especially at low temperature....The torque that is put on those pins when used this way destroys many pocket knives....So much so that most linemen use a non-folder.....The example I'm talking about was bought around 15 years ago so it may be superior to what they are making today........

Well, that's obviously going to be pretty open to opinion.... Plus, you don't say what kind of pocket knife you are looking for.... But my suggestion is a CRKT Carson Point Guard.

I like the CRKT knives...

I carry the KISS model, it also functions as a money clip. a minimalistic knive and great design

http://www.agrussell.com/knives/by_maker/a_through_d/columbia_river_knife_and_tool/crkt_kiss_plain_edge.html

http://www.agrussell.com/knives/by_maker/a_through_d/columbia_river_knife_and_tool/kiss_in_the_dark_plain_edge.html

I just bought two 307 Stockmans off e-bay....These are new, old stock, in the box, made in the USA, not made by Buck anymore....A great knife for the money.........

All my friends in the military carry bucks knives and swear by them, good enough for them, good enough for me.

I don't know about best but I've carried a Wenger Swiss Army Backpacker II original version for many, many years. My kids have given me more expensive knives as gifts but this is the one I continue to carry. I've done everything from adjusting carburetors to an emergency tracheotomy with mine.

Richard

There is one major bad thing about the Spederco delica knives----losing them, I had one for a few years lost it I think one day climbing in or out of my truck at the time. I have had and have quite a few other knives some much cheaper some much more expensive but for the price I think they are a great buy and I was more attached to that one then others I have that cost many times more.

A guy at work bought one of these as a substitute for the Buck 307 and so far over the last few months of running it through the mill he is very pleased with it....Looks like it might hold up well.....Looks good too...I have a soft spot for the stag, but most of the Case stags I have get loose quickly under hard use....

Top Bottom