What's new

new pipe smoker

What would be a good setup for a new pipe smoker. I have never smoked pipe tobacco but would like to try some really nice stuff. Is there a place I can get the tobacco and pipe online?

I'm not as experienced in pipe smoking as some others, but I would suggest a cob pipe and a tobacco that sounds interesting to you. Check around for some local smoke shops first or else try here

http://store.pipesandcigars.com/micocobme.html

I know cobs aren't very attractive, but they are cheap, don't require any break in, and soak up alot of moisture. At least this way you can check it out first to see if you like it, then start your PAD & TAD. If you want to read more on tobacco try here.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/

Also +1 on rikrdo link. Your best bet is to know as much as you can to appreciate it.

OK, here's what you need: a pipe, tobacco, a lighter, and a tamper.

I agree with edenri. A cob is the way to go, if you've never smoke a pipe before. You should be able to find them at your local cigarette shop or walgreen's-type pharmacy. If you would prefer a briar, then Savinelli, Stanwell, and Peterson pipes are good ones to start with. They provide a quality smoke, and can be had at a reasonable price.

As for tobacco, I would suggest you get something like Carter Hall or Prince Albert to start instead of topped aromatic like Captain Black or vanilla/cherry whatever. The reason is that all too often a new smoker will over puff on an aromatic in an effort to get more flavor from them. This can lead to tongue bite (body chemistry also plays a part in this,) and/or scalding of the palate.

Start with a cob even if you only smoke it a few times or dont like the look of one, this will give you a chance to see if you like smoking a pipe and work on technique (packing and puffing). For tobacco i suggest Prince Albert, it has a small tendency to bite and i find that this works well for learning how to puff at the right pace. Stay away from aromatics for now. Once you get your technique down start with a good briar such as the aforementioned Savinelli, Stanwell, or Peterson. As for tobaccos i would start with a mild english, a virginia, and any thing else that sounds good to you. PM me and ill give you a few sources for pipes and tobacco. Hope this helps some.

you've gotten a lot of good suggestions. I, for one, have no problem with dr. grabow pipes...they're very inexpensive for briars. Cobs are a bit cheaper and certainly smoke nicely. I, too, would recommend a non-aromatic to start with.

One place you may want to visit for good advice is http://smokersforums.org

very B&B in tone and lots of folks there are famous for helping out new smokers

Nothing wrong with Dr. Grabows or Kaywoodies for that matter. I happen to be a big fan of kaywoodies and i think you get alot of pipe for the price. I forgot to mention the Savinelli natural series, they can be had for about $35 and are great pipes, keep in mind they come unfinished (no stain) but they darken up nicely with smoking.

+1, +1 on Dr. Grabow. Cheap, effective, and as I found out in high school--dual purpose.

The exact reason I don't smoke a pipe in my car:001_smile
I'm 29, but usually told I look closer to 20, I can just imagine the looks I would get if people saw me smoking a pipe driving down main st.

Frogman, the Savinelli natural pipes, do you need to apply anthing to the pipe to color or protect it? I was looking at these earlier today and was a little curious. Sorry not trying to hijack.

The exact reason I don't smoke a pipe in my car:001_smile
I'm 29, but usually told I look closer to 20, I can just imagine the looks I would get if people saw me smoking a pipe driving down main st.

I understand. But dude, as long as your totally non-carrying there is no better feeling than exhaling a long stream of Dunhill Early Morning Pipe at the cop who pulled you over. Just don't let him see the screen.

I'll add my vote for starting with a cobb. I know people will tell you to stay way from aromatics to start, but smoke what you think you'll like.

I started with MacBaren's Vanilla Cream and never had a problem, and it's great stuff.

Frogman, the Savinelli natural pipes, do you need to apply anything to the pipe to color or protect it? I was looking at these earlier today and was a little curious. Sorry not trying to hijack.

Nope not a thing. After smoking it a few times it will start to darken somewhat like a meerschaum. You might do a search on one of the pipe forums, I know ive read about people staining them but i personally like them the way they are.

I would suggest finding a local pipe and tobacco shop if you have one in your area. They'll have a much larger selection of pipes (than you're local drugstore) and tobaccos to choose from, plus the tobaccos are generally a higher quality than your average drug store tobacco.

A good starter tobacco is Lane 1-Q, most shops carry this, but some rename it as a house brand. It's a medium to mild vanilla aromatic that tastes as good as it smells.

As far as pipes go, I would suggest going with a briar over a corncob. You can typically find estate (used, but cleaned and sanitized) pipes for about half the price of a new pipe, allowing you to get a much better pipe for the money. My first pipe was an estate Saseini 4 dot. I paid $35 and got everything i needed to get started. If your looking to buy online or are ever in the Springfield MO area, check out Just for Him (www.justforhim.com). They have a great selection and a very friendly staff.

DrRansom

I recently started smoking a pipe with success. I found a smoke shop in the area in the yellow pages, and made a trip of it. Unfortunately the store was mainly filled with smoking paraphernalia of a different sort, but a small corner of the store was dedicated to tobacco pipes. I purchased a briar pipe for approximately $25, although they sold the corn cob pipe the style did not appeal to me, as well as some tobaccoes sold by the ounce and a tamper tool. I believe they were Black Cavendish, Cherry Cavendish, and something that smelled like coconut. It got me hooked. Now I smoke a Peterson Churchwarden once or twice a month on those perfect cool mornings. A very relaxing hobby. I ran into trouble with my fiance, and would recommend to anyone wishing to take up this habit that they recieve clearance, in writing, from the boss beforehand.

I ran into trouble with my fiance, and would recommend to anyone wishing to take up this habit that they recieve clearance, in writing, from the boss beforehand.

Quite so! I've found the same issue in the past, with my wife - I feel your pain. There are some things that just will not float, and even after 20+ years, you can occasionally find a new one :wink:

- R

I recently started smoking a pipe with success. I found a smoke shop in the area in the yellow pages, and made a trip of it. Unfortunately the store was mainly filled with smoking paraphernalia of a different sort, but a small corner of the store was dedicated to tobacco pipes. I purchased a briar pipe for approximately $25, although they sold the corn cob pipe the style did not appeal to me, as well as some tobaccoes sold by the ounce and a tamper tool. I believe they were Black Cavendish, Cherry Cavendish, and something that smelled like coconut. It got me hooked. Now I smoke a Peterson Churchwarden once or twice a month on those perfect cool mornings. A very relaxing hobby. I ran into trouble with my fiance, and would recommend to anyone wishing to take up this habit that they recieve clearance, in writing, from the boss beforehand.

Yes! Needless to say my plan to "introduce" my cigar hobby last summer by just spontaneously coming home with a few cigars was foiled by that woman's icy stare.

:lol:

Yes, it's a drag that I can't buy and smoke whatever, whenever, but on the other side of that coin, we were able to reach a compromise and I am enjoying my cigars (weather and money permitting). :thumbsup:

What would be a good setup for a new pipe smoker. I have never smoked pipe tobacco but would like to try some really nice stuff. Is there a place I can get the tobacco and pipe online?

You said really nice, so I'm going to have to suggest a good Dunhill pipe, and some English style tobacco.. Try a Peterson's University Flake.

You said really nice, so I'm going to have to suggest a good Dunhill pipe, and some English style tobacco.. Try a Peterson's University Flake.

What he did not tell you is that a Dunhill Pipe will set you back $400-$500! :w00t:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I do enjoy a pipe here and then. With all do respect with the other gents, I would suggest to start with a Dr. Grabow. Cobbs burn too much, even with a slow smoke. Stay away from cheap wood pipes. They look pretty, especially those cherry wood pipes and they're cheap but stay away. Both will burn quick and can irritate your throat. Suprisingly my local CVS sells a great vanilla tobacco. I usually get my pipes here. You can get a new pipe or a cleaned and sanitized used or "estate" pipe. But nowadays I'll just get a good cigar from my humidor than fill a pipe.
Ernest

Top Bottom