What's new

Kanayama strops - what's the deal?

I know these strops are highly sought after. What I don't know is the difference between them. From what I've gathered, some are thicker leather, and some have an entirely different finish on them. Could someone give me a quick and dirty break down on these things? The wife is willing to buy me one for Christmas but I want to make sure we know what we're looking at first.

The only one I have is the K3, it comes with suede backing and not the linen. I bought the linen separate but don't like it.

The rest of them I believe the difference is the thickness of the leather.

My No. 3 has a very light draw that is just a pleasure to feel the razor go back and forth on. The leather is just soooo nice to rub. I find I like using it with hollow-er razors; others have noticed the same for them.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I think the 3000 is pretty good, as it's what I have. Someone here had more than a few of them, and came to the conclusion that the higher price commands thicker leather.

Not it to fuel the AD, but nothing I have has the same feel as my Kanayama. What's even more intriguing is Mr. Kanoyama hand works each one from scratch. So it is truly made from a leather custom made purely for stropping razors on. Every one should have one in the stable IMO.

Very different from the Tony Miller that I have and I like them both. The TM is the greater value, imo, as the price/quality ratio is higher than the Kanayama. The feel of the K, however, is absolutely spectacular and I don't think I'd want to ever be without one. I also love the suede component though others say the linen breaks in eventually and is fantastic. I haven't used my linen.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I find the leather part to be fantastic and give a much better finish to my straights than any other strops I had. Having said that, it's not that other strops don't work, the edge is not as smooth, that's all.

For the linen side, that one is not great at all. It's too stiff and too rough IMO. I still use it but had much better linens.

The #3, at a little over $100, is probably the greatest value in Stropdom!

I prefer Neil Miller's natural linen over the suede as a second component, but the suede performs as advertised, and is useful.

I still use my #3, and am very happy I added it.

The higher the number, the thicker the leather. Same glossy slick finish on all

The "3" model at Aframestokyo hits the sweet spot of quality and affordability.

Get one.

Very different from the Tony Miller that I have and I like them both. The TM is the greater value, imo, as the price/quality ratio is higher than the Kanayama. The feel of the K, however, is absolutely spectacular and I don't think I'd want to ever be without one. I also love the suede component though others say the linen breaks in eventually and is fantastic. I haven't used my linen.

+1

Pretty crude attempt to beguile us into buying one of those things! Who would fall for something so blatant?

I wonder how long shipping will take.... I can hear Bolero playing in my head right now as I envision slowly sliding the paper further and further down the soft, yielding leather....

:)

Brian

The higher the number, the thicker the leather. Same glossy slick finish on all

The "3" model at Aframestokyo hits the sweet spot of quality and affordability.

Get one.

The draw is very smooth, almost slick, but the leather is so supple, that it hugs the blades tight enough you still get feedback (I have other strops with similar or slightly more draw, but with almost no feedback). The leather is quite thick and like I said above, you will have a VERY hard time finding a strop as supple as it is. The suede is very nice, but I have no other suede strops to compare it with. I'd say it's my second favorite back component after TM Linen. Hardware is a bit light duty, but it works fine.

In general it's good because the draw and feedback are perfect together, and I'm harping on this... but DAMN is that strop supple.

Thanks. It looks as though everyone has the 3k. There must be something to it.

It's the cheapest hanging kanayama and if you spend more you're buying 1: POSSIBLY more leather thickness (the #3's vary wildly in thickness, and I've heard some are as thick as the 90000's... mine is almost as thick as the 90000 at one end, but substantially thinner at the other) on a strop that's already thicker than most; and 2: A linen that is NOT the reason anyone ever bought a Kanayama.

Last edited:
Top Bottom