What's new

Rose Soap users....what's your weapon of choice?

I'm not saying I'm in the market for yet another soap...have more than enough to last a lifetime. But if I was, it would be rose scented.

Which ones are you guys using?

That may be one to wait a bit on, as good rose soaps arent too plentiful at the moment.

I tried a couple of pucks of Geo F Trumpers Rose; the first was unusable and became an excellent / expensive shower soap, the second will produce an acceptable lather with a hot water soak and repeated heavy loading. That amount of work should not be required of a shave soap and even though I love the scent - I almost never use it.

I have read that a bunch of premium English soaps that have been garbage since their tallow-days have undergone another reformulation - and have become performers. I hope that GFT gets that kind of makeover, too.

Currently I am using Czech & Speake No 88, a great soap with what is described as a "dusky rose" scent. I cannot give you a scent profile that would make sense, but the rose scent is the dominant one - with warm spices along for the ride. The lather, scent and post shave feeling of C&S No 88 make this pricey soap worth it to me.

I haven't thought about using rose soaps but after using Thayer's WH rose I'd consider it. You might want to shoot Rod at Sterling Soap a PM or an email and ask if he could come up with one for you. He already has a variety of great scents and if I recall reading in a few posts, he makes special request scented soaps. I think that's how he started making Black Ice. Worth a try.

I always have a rose soap and a rose cream on hand. Besides the scent being a mood enhancer, they make my face feel good when it's weathered or irritated. I have a GFT Rose soap from a couple of years ago that's very good, but I haven't seen a good review yet of GFT's current reformulation. I go back and forth about trying C&S because I'm apprehensive about the scent descriptions I've read. If only Harris would make a rose soap.

I've used the C&S...not a fan. But Rod at Stirling soaps might be a good shot....been on an artisan kick lately...thx for the tip!

QCS Rose Otto, and Mystic Water Sandalwood Rose and Rosalimone. When I want the Old World Rose scent I use T&H rose cream.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I usually stock a rose scent in a cream version, but I second the gentleman's suggestion of Queen Charlotte Soaps Rose Otto. Wonderful stuff.

I usually use TOBS Rose Cream, but when that is gone, I'm going to try Rose of Bulgaria, just to see what it's like.

Currently using Klar Kabinett, though I have a wee bit of GFT Rose soap left in a bowl. The GFT is not tallow, but believe it is the first edition after that, so it is a good one. When I run out of these I may get QCS Rose Otto. Have part of a sample left, and it is a very nice, deep rose scent.

I had a sample of T&H rose but I thought it smelled too feminine for a man to use. Are there masculine rose scents available?

don't be afraid that the rose scents are feminine; you're a man enough to deal with it.
and the scents fade fast after shave.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the creams from T&H and Salter. I also like Klar Kabinett. I plan to try the Mike's and QCS but I'd really like to see Barrister & Mann and Strop Shoppe offer a rose scented shaving soap.

Klar Kabinett is just unreal in performance. I'm not a big fan of Rose, but it is among the best performers I have ever used.

Another really good rose (blend, with geranium and some wood) is Al's Sapone da Barba private stock. Consistency wise, it is closer to a cream, but chemically it is a soap. I don't care for the smell, but it is also an outstanding performer

Top Bottom