What's new

Whats a good black ink?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Jet Pens has recently announced J. Herbin Perle Noir as their best all-purpose black ink.

No other ink offers a better combination of performance, convenience, and affordability. It's fast drying, works well with a wide range of pens and papers, has good water and highlighter resistance.

It’s made by the oldest ink manufacturer in the world, J. Herbin which is famous for its natural ink formulas that won’t harm pens even if you forget to clean them regularly.

It’s also pH neutral, so anything you write or draw should last a long time if you use acid-free paper.

I've got some and I'll be loading some up for tomorrow's pen of the day.

the stock standard "danm good ink" is noodlers black, Goulet pens use it as a standard ink when testing pens, so well known is its quality and reliability no matter what you put it in, or put it on.
of my stash i would rate noodlers black, noodlers feather-X and iroshizuku take-suma, as the best black inks there are.
this is going of density and behavior on all qualities of paper.
word of advise, steer clear of Parker black.

IMHO the best black ink is found in government offices. I just picked a pen today at the local courthouse.

Ruckin.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Jet Pens has recently announced J. Herbin Perle Noir as their best all-purpose black ink.

I've got some and I'll be loading some up for tomorrow's pen of the day.

How did it turn out for you? I have a few J Herbin inks and have been pleased with all of them. So now, I have a bottle of Perle Noir arriving tomorrow or Friday.

the stock standard "danm good ink" is noodlers black, Goulet pens use it as a standard ink when testing pens, so well known is its quality and reliability no matter what you put it in, or put it on.
of my stash i would rate noodlers black, noodlers feather-X and iroshizuku take-suma, as the best black inks there are.
this is going of density and behavior on all qualities of paper.
word of advise, steer clear of Parker black.

I agree with nemo. What's wrong with Parker Quink Black?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
How did it turn out for you? I have a few J Herbin inks and have been pleased with all of them. So now, I have a bottle of Perle Noir arriving tomorrow or Friday.

The Perle Noire went into an old Sheaffer of mine, Craftsman style with a wet FeatherTouch nib. Worked great, very minimal bleed and/or show through ... still in the pen as I haven't been writing much these last few days.

Just tried it though and it started right up after several days -- very black.

The Perle Noire went into an old Sheaffer of mine, Craftsman style with a wet FeatherTouch nib. Worked great, very minimal bleed and/or show through ... still in the pen as I haven't been writing much these last few days.

Just tried it though and it started right up after several days -- very black.
Thanks for sharing this ink info Doug.

Why, for heaven's sake, would that be?

feathers, leaches through the paper, slow dry, poorly saturated and the slightest drop of water will wash it off completely. i gave the danm bottle away and almost felt obliged to pay the sucker to take it.

Just skimmed through this thread. Here are my two cents:

Iroshizuku Take-Sumi is excellent. Rhorer & Klinger Leipziger Schwarz has excellent flow.

Top Bottom