What's new

Bought a m1a, thompson m1 and a beretta for $200

They set in the trunk of a leaky car for over 2 years to appease a anti gun house guest.... $200 took them all home, I think I can save "make them functional"...

proxy.php

proxy.php

Oh, that hurts. That Thompson would make an awesome display piece even if it doesn't clean up well enough to be a shooter again. Definitely worth the $200.

$66 each...

so far I have the m14's action is freeish, the hammer is not seating all the way home, probably some rust blocking it. Bore is MINT so is the bolt face. The Thompson has a nice bore so it's probably about the same condition internally.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Attachments

• $xj21.jpg
    $xj21.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 270
Painful to look at! Who let's say what maybe $2000+ (depending on exact model, condition, ect...) rust away like that? Tell me about the M14 I'm looking to purchase one sooner or later.

I would look into a simple home made electrolysis setup to clean them. There is a series of videos on YouTube where a guys repairs and fires a 1911 that has been buried for many years.

<font size="2"><span style="font-family: Verdana">

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I am amazed at what some people will let happen to firearms! Glad you are putting the TLC into them they need! Keep us posted!

Bryce is spot on. Honestly, a bit of time in a nice electrified bath will make those parts look nearly brand new.The only problem is that it may clean the parts TOO well, and any imperfections will stand out. Not a big deal, unless it's one of those things like a head gasket valve in a car...it gets full of gunk and oil but still functions, until you start messing with it.

I would look into a simple home made electrolysis setup to clean them. There is a series of videos on YouTube where a guys repairs and fires a 1911 that has been buried for many years.
+1 - There are a lot of links to electrolysis setups in the Mess Hall. Look for any of the old cast iron skillet threads and somebody will recommend it.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Bryce is spot on. Honestly, a bit of time in a nice electrified bath will make those parts look nearly brand new.The only problem is that it may clean the parts TOO well, and any imperfections will stand out. Not a big deal, unless it's one of those things like a head gasket valve in a car...it gets full of gunk and oil but still functions, until you start messing with it.

+2 Even though the bore shot pics were dark, you can still kinda tell the bores look amazingly well compared to the outsides of the guns. You will have quite the collection when you're done Phantomhive.

[SUB][/SUB]
+2 Even though the bore shot pics were dark, you can still kinda tell the bores look amazingly well compared to the outsides of the guns. You will have quite the collection when you're done Phantomhive.

The m14 is coming along well. IF I can get the trigger group out of the stock with out cutting the stock up I can have it running by next week. I have the group free although stiff...its just stuck in the receiver do to it not going in to the cocked position fully. The bore and chamber are MINT...not suprising being USGI chrome lined. It looks bad but the gun is 80% functional as we speak.

Once the lower drops out I can have it running in a couple of hours. I would like to keep this project under $100 from start to finish as a challenge. I found some USGI stocks for $20... so if the rifle does not give up the trigger group in a week then I'll cut the wood off and work on the group till it does drop free.

Best case, I can get it separated and I'm in a cleaned functioning rifle for $66
May have to buy a stock, $86
IF I have to replace the trigger group $310.....

I'll probably do the electric bath, bead blast, and park.

The Thompson is going to be harder to fix, I don't know much about them so I need to read up on how to field strip it before I start banging away. It gets a good soaking of PB every night and nothing has freed up like the m14 did so far.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Electrolysis should restore them to pristine condition, Electroless Nickle might be another consideration for protection of the Thompson and M1A, if you replace the stock(s) Kevlar or some other synthetic might be a consideration, you might also consider free-floating the barrel on the M1A if feasible.

Top Bottom