What's new

fact or fiction

Can anyone clear this up for me? Is it possible to change the grain of you beard by changing how you shave? This seems impossible to me. Although, I think that I have read somewhere you can.

It's a myth. I think it's perpetrated by the "Method Shaving" community. Grain is grain. You can map it and shave in ways that are best suited to it. I think the best quote I ever read about this was: "If this was true, guys who shave with electrics would have swirls all over their face" and obviously that doesn't happen.

"I think we will be the judge of that!"

$1225721.jpg

When I was a kid, my parents always told me that you could train your hair in a particular way by always combing it the same way. I asked a barber about that and he said that was rubbish--your hair grows the way IT wants to, not the way You want it to. I assume that beards, being hair, do the same.

I still have that d****d cowlick that wants to stand up on the back of my head.

When I was a kid, my parents always told me that you could train your hair in a particular way by always combing it the same way. I asked a barber about that and he said that was rubbish--your hair grows the way IT wants to, not the way You want it to. I assume that beards, being hair, do the same.

I still have that d****d cowlick that wants to stand up on the back of my head.

That's an antennae Airman! :lol:

Last edited:
If you pluck your hair against the direction of growth it can grow back in random directions. But that's probably not what you're looking to do and definitely not recommended! :blink:

It's sort of like some of the e-mails I get. They get passed around so much that some folks begin to believe them.

Not to kidnap the thread, but does anybody have any insight into why facial hair grows in the various directions it does?

Top Bottom