What's new

Edwin Jagger DE razor

I,v just purchased one of these beauties and found after my first shave, thats its the perfect razor for me. I went with the chatsworth lined all metal which was a bit pricy but the finish is great, i believe they use the standard Merkur head then re-polish it and chrome it.
The length is good if you have large hands and the small head fits nicely under the nose and those tricky places. I used a modern wilkinson blade.
My current razors are the Gillette slim, aristocrat, fat boy and progress but i,d have to say this beats them all. The progress was my razor to go, but the extra length and fixed blade gap fits my style perfectly.The one thing i miss though is the ease of blade change with the silo doors. Has any one else migrated to a fixed head and found it better/ worse?

at first i thought it was a merkur HD head on a custom body, but then i saw that muhele sells them, so i started wondering about the source of the head,

it is a good razor, and i do have my kronas, and my slims and i wanted to try a 2-3 piece to see how a smooth head affects the same,

Thanks for the reply Aevum, I also noticed that on a leaflet that came with the razor, they advised putting the razor head under a hot tap as a warm blade cuts better. this is new to me as i thought just wetting the razor was enough. has anyone else heard of this? It looks like i,ll have to add another procedure to my shaving routine!

I’ve been considering buying one of those, being particularly fond of the mock ivory, but I have this notion that the merkur-heads on these razors are somewhat bigger than my vintage Gillette’s (TTOs)? You mentioned it had a small head, how do you compare them to the old Gillette’s?

i just we just need to find someone who has a gillette and one of these and take a picture side by side,

I purchased the set - razor, brush, stand and dish. It's my go-to unit, mainly because it sits on the bench top. There are times when I've had my doubts about the value (the razor performs similarly to the Merkur 38C) but the shaves are great and the luxury is palpable.

Hope you enjoy yours.

Cheers

Jeremy

My razor is the same as Jeremys,( the set looks great, bet it was pricy!) the head is quite a bit smaller than the Gillette slim and fatboy. It has a an almost flat appearance which i find fits nicely around the contours of the face. I think the head is the same as the 38c but i had one of those for a short time and find the EJ chatsworth has a better handle for me.

...need to find someone who has a gillette and one of these and take a picture side by side,
How's this?

I think we can safely assume that the various Jagger models with the appearance of a Merkur head do in fact have Merkur heads. When I wrote the English Shaving Company asking if their Georgian model was fitted with a Merkur head, thiis is the reply I received from Bridget Jagger at The English Shaving Company:

“The Edwin Jagger Georgian razor you refer to does indeed have the Merkur head however, the head is the standard 1st quality Merkur head but is then especially hand polished, chrome plated hand finished to match the Edwin Jagger quality standard.”

Has any one else migrated to a fixed head and found it better/ worse?

Except for my Slim Adjustable, I have sold off most of my TTO Gillettes and am switching to 3 piece Gillettes almost exclusively. They shave that much better for me.

proxy.php

proxy.php

As for changing blades - With the little portion of the end of the blade that sticks out of the razor's head, I just apply downward pressure when unscrewing the head and it forces it to separate making blade removal easy.

How's the weight on the Geogian one? Looks stunning!

How's this?

I think we can safely assume that the various Jagger models with the appearance of a Merkur head do in fact have Merkur heads. When I wrote the English Shaving Company asking if their Georgian model was fitted with a Merkur head, thiis is the reply I received from Bridget Jagger at The English Shaving Company:

“The Edwin Jagger Georgian razor you refer to does indeed have the Merkur head however, the head is the standard 1st quality Merkur head but is then especially hand polished, chrome plated hand finished to match the Edwin Jagger quality standard.”

I, too, have the Edwin Jagger Georgian razor and while I love the old Gillettes, in my opinion this is a great razor. The weight is similar to the "Mergress" (sorry, no scales available), but with the longer handle and excellent contouring I find this razor incredibly easy to shave with. It's a bit pricey, but this is one that you'll shave with for many, many years!
Enjoy!
dsipari

How's the weight on the Geogian one? Looks stunning!

I don't know the weight but just think of it as a comfortable mass. I have had the same handle on a Gillette Sensor cartridge razor for many years. Got that one from Trumpers in London. After switching to DE a few months ago, found the EJ Georgian and glommed onto it immediately. It is perfect for me.

The handle offers a positive grip and the weight is good. There is something about the feel of the rig that is more appealing to me than the straight cylinder shape of most DE razors.

I enjoy using a straight now days, but the Edwin Jagger DE's are pure quality.
Just look at the quality of the machining in the chrome handle. The balance of the handle is perfect and I found I got just the best DE shave day in day out.

I had tried just about every Merkur DE going, but a simple well balanced handle did it for me. Funny how little things matter.

But I went for the Edwin Jagger Bulbous Lined Safety Razor. And it was on sale for just 12.95£. O, joy!

Where did you find this sale?? Sounds good.

Thanks for the link to their website. Looks like most are "sold out" and are listed in a Clearance section for the store. I sent them email to inquire about availability and shipping the US. :smile:

Great looking set. I have a Chatsworth and they are good razors.

Glad I saw this thread. I have recently been traveling a lot on business and I take a rather cheap Gillette three piece travel razor. What I have noticed is that I really like the thinner head of this razor over my TTO's. My only complaint is that the handle is too short and the entire razor is very lightweight. Is there some heft to the Chatsworth? Might be just what I have been looking for. Almost forgot, anyone here ordered from The English Shaving Company?

Top Bottom