What's new

So this girl at my college thinks I act "old"

I am 21 years old and have darker olive skin (Greek)
I've always liked to dress "nicer" even to class.
Ironed collared button-up shirt, jeans, either white tennis shoes or black Rockports. On top a nice leather jacket, 3/4 pea coat, etc.

I talked about my shaving and how I enjoy fine products, do like Tony Bennett and Sinatra and whatnot. I also am getting into fine Cuban cigars. I also go shooting every so often and have a fine collection of firearms.

And the girls I have met at school either like the "bad boy gangsta" aka some guy with sagging pants, a sideways hat and 20 pounds of fake diamonds.

Do I act old? I always just say, "no, I'm not old, I'm classy :biggrin:"

whadya think/

Continue in the manner you have become accustomed to-it's not 'old' it is classy. However, the girls of today do not appreciate class-but the women do.:wink:

Marty

I was in your boat. Girls in college, from my experience, don't want classy. They want fun, young, mischievous, bad, reckless, and cool. "I'm not looking for a husband. I want someone to have some fun with." My first year of college was a disaster in the female department. I toned down the "old" factor a little and I was surprised by how many and specifically, which girls liked me. I didn't become a new person but it's like the saying goes, "Nice guys finish last." The stories I could share!!:eek: You know, I've always wanted a daughter but when I think of my college experience, I don't know.

Anyway, by senior year, when girls started getting serious again, they came back to me because the partying had gotten old. All of a sudden, mature was in again. If you just want the crazy college experience for a bit, "old" definitely isn't going to cut it. Don't over do the "young" thing either because by senior year and beyond, you'll be the serious kind of guy girls will (hopefully) be looking for. If you don't have girls-soon-to-be-women who find the classy thing appealing, I suggest you visit another school. Classy and refined is ALWAYS in with women. Girls call it being old but women know better.

I was in your boat. Girls in college, from my experience, don't want classy. They want fun, young, mischievous, bad, reckless, and cool. "I'm not looking for a husband. I want someone to have some fun with." My first year of college was a disaster in the female department. I toned down the "old" factor a little and I was surprised by how many and specifically, which girls liked me. I didn't become a new person but it's like the saying goes, "Nice guys finish last." The stories I could share!!:eek: You know, I've always wanted a daughter but when I think of my college experience, I don't know.

Anyway, by senior year, when girls started getting serious again, they came back to me because the partying had gotten old. All of a sudden, mature was in again. If you just want the crazy college experience for a bit, "old" definitely isn't going to cut it. Don't over do the "young" thing either because by senior year and beyond, you'll be the serious kind of guy girls will (hopefully) be looking for. If you don't have girls-soon-to-be-women who find the classy thing appealing, I suggest you visit another school. Classy and refined is ALWAYS in with women. Girls call it being old but women know better.

Ain't that the truth!
I still retain a youthful look, but I'm no stranger to bust out the cigar and a nice sports coat when I'm out on the town. I think guys who wear t-shirts or hooded sweatshirts and snowboarding pants to a night club are always tacky.

To each their own.
It seems the trait of being experienced yet classy about it is out. I hear a bunch of guys acting as if they're these little 1:2 to scale "gangsters" by talking about guns and whatnot in class. I smile and think, "hey, I'm here in a blazer and a pressed shirt, yet I send thousands of rounds downrange and know quite a bit about guns but don't brag about it out in public. Low key and quiet seems to be out, loudmouth, lying and acting big seems to be in with the "girls"

Be yourself. If your college is big enough, you will meet girls who appreciate the real you, regardless of whether you are a jerk or a prince. And that's a lot less stressful than trying to be someone else.

Continue to go your own way being your own man; a gentleman. Class cannot be purchased nor is it easy to define but ladies recognize and appreciate it and those who do not in their own venacular "don't b about nothin;".

To the categories girls, women, add ladies. To be sure it is a subjective term but someone like yourself will definitely recognize them and when you do; you will certainly appreciate each other.

Being neat and well-groomed will open more doors socially than looking like a bum and with addition of good manners costs you nothing but the absence of them in the long run will cost more than you or anyone else can afford.

When you hear the braggarts and blowhards spouting their drivel remember that "Empty barrels make the most noise" and if you are true to yourself and your values you can and will not be false to anyone.

Show them how!

I wouldn't be concerned by that comment unless you pull your pants up to your bellybutton. Since pants are no longer designed like that...

Anyway, as long as there's more than one girl at your college don't worry about it. :biggrin:

As Doc told me jimbo, it ain't old...it's timeless.

I was the same way in college. Didn't date. Listened to Ella Fitzgerald and Duke Ellington much to the chagrin of my hip-hop loving roommate. And God help me, I just couldn't find a girl who shared my interests.

Then one day I met a silly little girl who sat next to me in biology class, and ended up dropping her textbooks on my foot :eek:. We had coffee. And soon, a friendship blossomed into a romance. She ended up becoming my old lady. :smile:

Things work out for the best. Besides. You don't really want a girl like that hanging all over you anyway, if I am inferring correctly.

Sounds like you dress fine, but if your writting on a forum for advice maybe something is a little off. so if in doubt, pick up a couple issues of gq and maybe spruce it up a little. go out and buy some new button downs, new designer jeans and some nice tennis (NB 901's) shoes that go with your jeans. bright white tennis shoes with jeans really dont say "i'm the coolest" (unless they are AF 1's and your a rapper). So to me it sounds like you dress fine, but it never hurts to get the latest and greatest versions of what your putting on. I'm in my late 20's, a physician, and live in manhattan and that's just my 2 cents.

Devils advocate:

Are you being classy or old? Classy would be doing the things you are doing, and not talking about them or highlighting them. Old would be doing the same things, calling attention to them, and soliciting feedback either explicitly or implicitly.

I obviously know nothing about you and your situations.

I do also have an opinion that has served me well thus far in my life. It is that perception is reality. Here's what I tell my employees when the occasion comes. If everyone around you says you are hard to work with, it is not because they all don't understand you. It is because you are hard to work with.

If its one girl at your college, it might be her. If the broad opinion is the same, its you.

Top Bottom