What's new

Gustin Jeans - Slim fit or Standard fit?

I am planning on purchasing my first pair of Gustins in the near future. However, I cannot decide which fit to go with. I like jeans that aren't overly baggy through the legs, but also don't want the cuffs on the legs to be too tight to not be able to wear boots with them. Does anyone have any insight as to whether the Slim fits are overly tight or if the Standards are not overly baggy and may be a "tailored" fit?

I went with the straight fits on my two pairs of Gustins (Broken Weave and Japan Regulars). Measure your best fitting pair of jeans and follow their fit guide, you will be glad you did.

New Standard measurements:

size 34
waist 35
rise 10.5
thigh 24
knee 19
cuff 17
inseam 36

Gustin Straight measurements:

size 34
waist 35
rise 11.25
thigh 24.5
knee 18
cuff 18
inseam 34

If you decide to order a pair, I can get you $20 off but you'll have to PM me as the mods aren't friendly to "referral links." :)

If you decide to order a pair, I can get you $20 off but you'll have to PM me as the mods aren't friendly to "referral links." :)

Unfortunately I did not know there was that referral program and signed up already so I could get their emails, I didn't see that you could do the referrals until after. If I could some how deactivate my account and redo it, that would work, however I don't think that is possible :/

After going through the measurements on the website, it looks like I will be going with the 34 Slims, the only thing that scares me is that the inseam is 36 inches! I really hate rolling my jeans up multiple times. Am I really going to kill them if I get them hemmed up? I know they always want you to wash them before hemming, is this going to be a problem you think? Because I am definitely not washing them.

Make a new email address ;)

There shouldn't be an issue with hemming them, just be sure you're using a tailor that is experienced with denim. You may find that you want to cuff them, especially if you're not going to wash them for a while. They'll stain your shoes otherwise.

I posted this over at Styleforums. Hope it helps.

I read through the thread and noticed some people asking sizing questions.

I'll base my response on the pair of Japan Regulars I have been wearing for the last three weeks.

I purchased the 32" slim option which fit extremely well.

My 'normal' jeans measure a 34" actual waist and I am a 32"/33" length (I had the jeans hemmed because the factory length was too long. I left an extra inch in the length so I could cuff.)

Initially the Gustin's were tight as expected, and I was warned that they might border on uncomfortable to button. They were on the precipice of being uncomfortable on the initial wear. The hips were the tightest part, buttoning the third button up from the bottom was the worst. It pulled back quite a bit.

After three weeks of wear the jeans have stretched to what I would call perfect. No issues buttoning any of the fly. There is still some resistance when I place my thumbs in the front pockets, and I can get an index finger between the waistband and my side. You can feel an iPhone in the back pocket, and it does not tip over in the pocket. I doubt these will give more unless I physically pull on the waistband. I would not want any more stretch than I already have. Purchasing a size up would have been a mistake.

There is some knee sag, but I am writing that off to the jeans being new and the material not soft enough for the fabric to fall on it's own yet.

I wear them with either a single or double cuff and that helps keep the knee sag to a minimum. Uncuffed is fine though because it doesnt bother me with the extra inch I left on the length.

No fading yet, but much creasing behind the knees and in the front thigh area.

There was some beautiful red stitching that I lost when they were hemmed, but that's my fault for not asking for the same color at the tailor.

I can see replacing my existing jean rotation to include only Gustin. I like them that much (Backing the Fourteener today in fact.)

Anyway - that is my experience and I hope it helps anyone on the fence about sizing.

I also backed the Blue chambray (have been wearing for two weeks) , the blue-blue gingham and the grey ember flannel as the Gustin size medium shirts are a PERFECT fit for me altough offering a slim fitting shirt option would be nice eventually. The standard shirts fit very well though.

I posted this over at Styleforums. Hope it helps.

I read through the thread and noticed some people asking sizing questions.

I'll base my response on the pair of Japan Regulars I have been wearing for the last three weeks.

I purchased the 32" slim option which fit extremely well.

My 'normal' jeans measure a 34" actual waist and I am a 32"/33" length (I had the jeans hemmed because the factory length was too long. I left an extra inch in the length so I could cuff.)

Initially the Gustin's were tight as expected, and I was warned that they might border on uncomfortable to button. They were on the precipice of being uncomfortable on the initial wear. The hips were the tightest part, buttoning the third button up from the bottom was the worst. It pulled back quite a bit.

After three weeks of wear the jeans have stretched to what I would call perfect. No issues buttoning any of the fly. There is still some resistance when I place my thumbs in the front pockets, and I can get an index finger between the waistband and my side. You can feel an iPhone in the back pocket, and it does not tip over in the pocket. I doubt these will give more unless I physically pull on the waistband. I would not want any more stretch than I already have. Purchasing a size up would have been a mistake.

There is some knee sag, but I am writing that off to the jeans being new and the material not soft enough for the fabric to fall on it's own yet.

I wear them with either a single or double cuff and that helps keep the knee sag to a minimum. Uncuffed is fine though because it doesnt bother me with the extra inch I left on the length.

No fading yet, but much creasing behind the knees and in the front thigh area.

There was some beautiful red stitching that I lost when they were hemmed, but that's my fault for not asking for the same color at the tailor.

I can see replacing my existing jean rotation to include only Gustin. I like them that much (Backing the Fourteener today in fact.)

Anyway - that is my experience and I hope it helps anyone on the fence about sizing.

I also backed the Blue chambray (have been wearing for two weeks) , the blue-blue gingham and the grey ember flannel as the Gustin size medium shirts are a PERFECT fit for me altough offering a slim fitting shirt option would be nice eventually. The standard shirts fit very well though.

Thanks for the write up Mike. Can you post some pictures?

Top Bottom