What's new

La Pyrénées & BBW Combo

BBW is, to me, a pointless stone for honing razors. It can be used, sure - why anyone would want to is beyond me though. But that's another story. Maybe if you don't have a Coti - maybe.. just maybe.
I started to use a BBW between the La Pyrenees and my La Vienette just to save additional wear and tear on my Coticule. I'd only had my Coticule a couple of years, but it was thinning down at an alarming rate. It is a natural combo stone, and the La Pyrenees comes glued to a BBW, so I thought I'd better not let them go to waste. I don't mind the slow speed.

The BBW slices I've used (both the "back side" of natural combo cotis) autoslurry very easily and as a result have pretty decent speed when sharpening knives. I don't know whether the BBW you buy on its own (or in a glued combo stone) autoslurries readily, though.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I habitually test the bbw first on most new cotis I get. The hit rate is not great imo.
I used to, but nowadays I rarely even lap the BBW. I've just never had any luck with it. Lorraine, is a different story tho. Wouldn't mind having a good piece of yellow coti attached to a legit Lorraine. Cool combo

Yeah, I kept trying BBW's (many have passed through my hands), but Lorraine excepted, none were worth the time I spent testing them (of the few dozen I tried) for razors. I've not really given them much of a chance with knives, probably should one of these days.

Found pics I had of mine. $WP_20150703_16_31_27_Pro_zpszx0afqgy.jpg$WP_20150703_16_31_21_Pro_zpsvuntqs9t.jpg$WP_20150703_16_11_57_Pro_zpsuwfgyg8v.jpg

Salm is good material. The really reddish one with the diagonal figuring. The reddish violet stuff with the light dots is a bit $#&@ imo.

Top Bottom