What's new

Aftershave vs Cologne?

I did a search and couldn't really find anything on here about the differences between the two. I am fairly new to the whole wet shaving thing and as I expand my shaving den I was wondering if there is any real difference between an aftershave or a cologne? Is there one advantage over the other or are they basically the same thing? Thank You in advance for all the responses!!!!

AS is formulated to sooth and clean skin. The scent is only a small part of it. Fragrances come in different strengths, but all have more fragrance oils than aftershaves and their only purpose is to smell good.

AS is formulated to sooth and clean skin. The scent is only a small part of it. Fragrances come in different strengths, but all have more fragrance oils than aftershaves and their only purpose is to smell good.

:thumbup1: AS is used to help your face feel nice after shaving.... Cologne is used to help you simply smell nice

Ah but many after shaves are sold as aftershave cologne just to confuse things

+1

$070066040722.jpg

And let us not forget "The Splashes"...

$300.jpg

Simplest I can put it is:

Cologne: Fragrance in alcohol

Aftershave: Alcohol, skin healing goodies (glycerin, propylene glycol, Vitamin E, etc.) and fragrance

So the the key difference is cologne is meant for smell only. AS is meant for smell and skin healing.

Since I started using Pinaud clubman (vanilla and classic), I've been asked many times (by the ladies), what my new cologne is. So some are more fragrant than others! I still spray on a little Armani code... You never know what the day will bring.

Pinaud Clubman is basically a cologne as far as strength goes. I love it, myself. But yeah, it's strong - not like most aftershaves.

For me, and AS seems to wear off in a few hours, but a cologne seems to last most of the day. I think AS has more alcohol in it and therefore evaporates quicker. Of course, that could just be me....

All the above comments are correct. The aftershave should help sooth your face after the shave. The lasting effect of aftershaves vary quite a bit, you will find difference across the board. Your Bay Rums and citrus fragrance aftershave will have more of a fleeting scent than a masculine cologne fragranced aftershaves. An aftershave scent should never interfere with your edt, it is scented more for the "that smells great" when applying, rather than, "wow I smell great hours later." Some aftershave balms will last a but longer just due to the fact that they are a bit more moisturizing than a splash. Enjoy your journey!

Many inexpensive aftershaves, such as Pinaud, are only alcohol and fragrance. Basically a diluted cologne. So the line, as stated above, is blurred at best.

Top Bottom