What's new

Was the Parker 65r a mistake?

Been shaving for a few months (started as a total noob) with the Parker 65r. Started with the Shark blades which were meh. Now using the Parker with the Astra Platinum. I suspect that this DE/blade combo may be too aggressive as I frequently get razor burn shaving my neck WTG then XTG. What would have been a better razor choice?

Well it's unlikely that it's the razor as I've never heard of any Parker being very aggressive. Make sure that you are prepping correctly, getting your face wet with hot water to soften the hair, and then have some nice lather. No pressure is key. Keep going, I'm sure your technique, and shaves, will improve shortly.

I can't comment on the razor. I you want to try something different, I can recommend the Edwin Jagger DE89 series.

I don't know why, but sometimes some guys seem to need to adjust to a different blade, especially when they are new. Just step back and be as a total newbie all over again and take it slow and easy, watch the pressure, etc. I bet that's all it is. Just adjust to the blade.

I have a Parker 65R and I find it very aggressive – The combination of a very large blade gap/exposure and heavy weight really dials up the razor’s aggressiveness. Having an incorrect angle or adding just a tad bit of pressure will always result in drawing blood. Changing blades will help (a little) but the shave will never be as mild as an EJ or vintage Gillette.

It’s not my intention to say that the 65R is a bad razor as it is of my favorites. I easily obtain a DFS after 2 passes but shaving can be frustrating (and painful) for a beginner because this particular razor (head) is not very forgiving if you have not developed good technique or found the proper approach angle.

I would recommend giving an EJ/Muhle a try, or better yet, a pre-war Gillette fat handle tech with triangle (not oval) slots. Don't throw away the 65R quite yet - Re-visit it after you have a few months of DE shaving under your belt. It is a very efficient razor once you get a feel for it.

My first DE was a Parker 91R and it did (and still does) give me some shaves that are a little rough. I think the blade gap on mine is a little bit uneven but it definitely has more bite than my other DE's

Some Parker razors are very aggressive. I own a 94R and a 97R which are very aggressive. I'm not familiar with the 65R.

I'm starting to see issues with my blade/razor combo. On my neck, I have to make at least 5 passes WTG and XTG to get an acceptable amount of hair off. Still some is left behind. If I start to apply pressure, I'm able to get closer but with more irritation. Also my facial skin is sensitive to soap, if I leave soap on my skin too long: it burns. Tonight's shave was with an Aveeno shave gel because I didn't have time to work up a lather with a brush.

I think my path to a better shave is to find a blade/DE combo that is forgiving but requires fewer passes. I can get a good shave out of my current kit but man it takes about 40 or more minutes.

If you want mild pick up a Merkur 1904 or an Edwin Jagger DE89. Both are solid razors which will leave you with a bleeder/weeper-free neck.

One question, have you mapped out the hair growth? I had the same problem as you AND I was using a mild razor, turns out my neck hair grows in all sorts of crazy directions so I wasn't getting a true WTG 1st pass in certain parts (sometimes it was ATG which led to some major irritation). Once I took the time to figure it out, it went away. Of course, you may have already done this... just a thought.

So a milder razor would be recommended while I climb the learning curve?

I would recommend a milder razor if this is your first attempt at DE shaving. As I mentioned earlier, improper technique will result in the 65R biting into you.

The following is a small non-scientific picture to compare blade gaps with other common razors. Excuse the picture as it was take in landscape mode but it is displaying portrait mode.

- Top: Parker 65R
- Middle: Gillette Fat Boy Adjustable @ 9
- Bottom: Gillette Pre-War Fat Handle Tech (with Triangle Slots)

Compared to the 2 Gillettes, the 65R's blade gap and exposure is huge...

$WP_20131002_005.jpg

Unfortunately, my SWMBO has my Muhle R89 (has the same head as the EJ razors) so I was not able to include that in the picture.

It will get better, believe me. Try to keep your blade angle consistent, and use as little pressure as possible. A typical DE shave for me is 2 passes, one WTG, one XTG. I find that this gives me a DFS, with a BBS shave on my cheeks. I learned long ago that going ATG under my chin always results in irritation and blood, so I stopped trying, and my shaves are better for it. Don't obsess over getting a BBS shave; the goal should be to look clean shaven and have your face feel good afterwards.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Good to hear that the DE89 seems to be working for you. I only have limited experience, but mine only gave me a few weepers during the first two weeks as I was adjusting to the new way of doing things. Now it's fine. I also find that DE shaving takes more time than cartridge shaving (I generally take 30-45 minutes), but I think that's because of the time spent working up a lather and because I do more passes than with a cartridge. In my opinion it's time well spent.

As for the irritation, I can only +1 what has already been said. No pressure (and if you think you're using no pressure, use less. That's what I had to do, at least) and short strokes is what worked very well for me.

Maggard Razors also has some decent, mild, house brand, that is inexpensive. Listen to the razor it will tell you what is going on.

I have over a dozen razors, including a Parker 65R. I find it among the most aggressive razors I own. It was my first razor and I still reach for it on occasion. However, I picked up quite a few razors after finding B&B, and found that I prefer a shorter handle than the Parker's.

One thing I wish I knew when I was starting out is that the aggressiveness of a razor is greatly over-rated. Initially, I tended to buy and use increasingly more aggressive razors. As my technique improved, I found that it was just as easy to get a close shave with a "mild" razor. These days, I use a Weber Bulldog ARC, Fat Handled Tech or a NDC Superspeed more often than anything else. They get just as close without much effort and almost no risk of irritation.

Find out what works for you. Be sure to go back and try razors you've written off once you get your technique down.

Mike

Last edited:
Top Bottom