What's new

Finer than fine

Chaps,

I'm very close to finishing my accountancy qualification. At completion of each stage so far, I've rewarded myself with a pen - First a Faber Castelle Basic, then a Pilot 78g.
So now I need to consider another pen :)

Slowly I've learnt that I like a really fine line. My 78g is a f, but I'd like something slightly finer but just as presentable. What are my options?
Ideally I'd like to say under $50, but I could look at more if nothing will fit the bill in that budget.

Thanks!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
My Sailor 1911M fine point is what I imagine an accountant using each time I use it. I have other F and EF nibs but the Sailor is quite precise with its stiffness and good flow.

I've heard that Japanese pens tend to run finer than Western pens. Other than that, I was going to recommend the B&B FC LE, but I've been beaten to the punch, yet again.

OP, are you looking for a very fine nib for general use or for ledger work? I wonder since everyone I know uses a computer to keep their ledgers.

Sorry, I should have been clearer - it's just for writing my notes, writing my exams and general note taking at work. We don't use paper ledgers at work as it's all done on computer - shame really.
Kiwi, I have a Safari with an EF nib, though I find it wider than my 78g and not quite to my taste - still a good pen though.

The Franklin Cristoph looks fantastic, even sporting a badger! I'll have a dig round and see if I can find some pictures on the needlepoint line - there's bound to be some on her somewhere.
The Sailor is probably a little more than Mrs Nightshade would let me get away with.

If anyone has the B&B FC needlepoint, would you care to comment on it's smoothness?

There are some comments in the essential threads about the needlepoints. Some people like them, others thought they were too fine/scratchy. I imagine it comes down to what you are used to.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
You want a Japanese pen with an XF nib. Pilot, Platinum or Sailor brands.

There are some comments in the essential threads about the needlepoints. Some people like them, others thought they were too fine/scratchy. I imagine it comes down to what you are used to.

The one I have is a little on the scratchy side, but the perfect size for my journal or small ledger sheets.

Hero 1000 - very fine nib but smooth, convenient filling system, nice weight/balance, good price (about $40)

I use Noodler's X-Feather in it with absolutely no problems.

Top Bottom