What's new

Started using a safety razor to save money.

So I bought a Parker 99r off of Amazon. It came with 5 Shark SC blades. I managed to cut the crap out of my face the first shave - I ended up looking like a zombie fresh from eating brains LOL... but I'd never had such a close shave in my life, and I liked it enough to keep trying. So I started googling and found the Art of Manliness website and from there I came here.

So I read up on shaving technique, and did much better on my second shave. I also went to the store and picked up some Pacific shaving cream (for those of you in Texas, HEB has it on sale for $4.99, plus buy 2 get the third tube free). That probably helped as well. Anyway, I've been shaving a week now and I'm still getting a few nicks and some irritation. I ordered some Astra blades to try in the Parker and a Feather razor and blades (the cheap one - not the All Stainless) to see if a milder razor will help with the irritation on my neck.

Lastly, I have to say, at first I thought you guys were crazy, getting so wrapped up over a daily chore. But after using a safety razor for a week, I have to say, I'm starting to get into it. There's a certain skill level and a certain amount of concentration required that are missing when using the modern cartridge razors that makes this an enjoyable activity, not just a chore. It's almost a Zen thing. Weird.

- Stonebreaker

Welcome to B&B!

Probably too much pressure on that first shave, but it sounds like you already know that. Keep working on the basics and it will get even better.

Definitely some zen involved. From what I've read, I'd save those feather blades for later ;)

Sounds like you're onto something here, and welcome! :)

Welcome aboard!

Less pressure and short strokes are the key to a newbies delight!

It's fun shaving every day isn't it?

Welcome! I'd read the stickies and watch the Mantic videos on youtube.

If you're like most of us, you will not save money - this turns into a hobby VERY EASILY. Beware! I certainly have no regrets, however. Except possibly planning my purchases a touch better. But, honestly, I plan quite a bit so to be honest I wouldn't change a thing.

By far the biggest reason I have stuck with shaving this way is that it's fun. May you experience as much pleasure/fun/joy as the rest of us, may your shaves only get better (the first few weeks are definitely the toughest - no pressure and watch the angle!), and welcome to Badger & Blade!

Welcome!

You soon won't understand how you weren't one of use before.
I also started DE to save money.... but..... but.... there are so many nice things to buy and I want them all!!

"Started using a safety razor to save money" Yes, we all did until we found out how much fun shaving is. Welcome and enjoy your time here.

"Save money?" Huh? Can you repeat that, not sure I heard you properly. I could've sworn you said "send myself into penury in style".

Thanks, guys. Put one of the Astra blades in the Parker this morning, and holy cow, I couldn't believe the difference. It was a lot smoother than the Shark SC's, A LOT smoother. I didn't think the difference would be this much. But now I can feel stubble when I'm finished...

And yeah, the 'save you money' thing seems to have gone right out the window. Ordered a brush and a razor stand yesterday, along with some Colonel Conk shaving soap. So I've been doing this a week, and already I've ordered two brushes, two razors, a tube of cream, and a cake of shaving soap... I may have to put the new engine for the hotrod on hold! :001_tongu

And how many cartridge shavers are feeling their face an hour after they shave and really assessing how good of a job they did and how they may do better the next day.

How many DE shavers used to do that in the old times?

At the OP; it is perfectly possible to save money with DE shaving, as long as you don't go overboard in buying shaving hardware and software.

My suggestion for spending the money you save:

Come visit us in "The Nib" http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/140-The-Nib :wink2:

I would suggest a Pilot Metropolian as a first enabler ... ehhhh ... fountain pen :biggrin:

How many DE shavers used to do that in the old times?
]
That's a very good point, and one that I have been thinking about before you made it. I'm into straights, and I imagine very few straight razor shavers in the past lusted over getting another razor. As long as their razor was working they likely never thought about another razor. If they lusted after razors at all, it was probably for one of those new fangled safety razors, so that they could pay less attention to shaving. So yes, we are the ones bringing mindfulness to shaving or writing or whatever. There is a lesson there, no.

So what are y'all's main motivation now for wet shaving? I originally wanted to save money, but now I'm finding I'm looking forward to shaving every morning. The quality of my shave is directly dependent on how much care I put into it now. When I finish with a superior shave, it's like I'm starting the day off with a win, and not a gimme, either...

Top Bottom