What's new

Rick Harrison and the Microtouch razor

I have two. They're really good for their $20 price.

Very nice weight - slightly heavier than my 40s SS. Doors and blade centering are perfectly even. TTO works smoothly, stays locked, and is more reistant to gumming up than my 40s SS. Plating is very well done all over.

It's a mild razor though - about one notch less aggressive than my 40s SS. It comes with Dorco blades. It works better with a less mild blade. Astra's make it shave a little more aggressive than my 40s SS with Dorcos. The weight and balance are nice too. It's slightly head-heavy, with an overall weight between my SS and Weber. Probably about 1/3 heavier than the SS, and 2/3 as heavy as the Weber.

The mold or assembly jig used to make the razor isn't perfect though. The safety bar was also 1/3 mm lower on the left corner (on both sides, and on 2 different razors)'. I tweaked the high side with a wide screwdriver and made the gap even in a few minutes. I tweaked on of them wider all the way around, and it shaves more aggressively. It wasn't hard to do.

The case also seems sturdy plastic with a good hinge.

I'm glad the ad brought a couple of newbies into the fold. Not my kind of razor at all, but maybe there are others out there who will see it and start thinking.

I must admit that seeing that commercial got me into DE shaving. I knew right away that the "Micro Touch" would probably be a cheapo from China so I went to Amazon and bought my first Merkur. Now I own several (got my first Gillette Slim yesterday) and there will be no turning back. I can't believe how enjoyable using a DE razor is and what a great shave you get! I remember when my father switched to carts sometime in the mid 70's, now I don't know why he made the switch!

I doubt the price of vintage DE razors will skyrocket due to this commercial, because most of the reviews I've seen from people are very negative because they keep cutting themselves. People that buy this will end up mostly cutting their face and demanding their money back. People that but this will treat it like a multi-blade and immediately demand their money back. Hopefully, there's a few that do the research and give DE shaving a real shot.

I started with the mto... 4 months later I got my merkur 34hd. The mto got me into this
After years of electric shavers. Never going back to those ever again!

Bought one of these as an impulse buy back in December. It was my introduction to DE shaving. I have since bought a Utopia from amazon which I like a bit better.

I doubt the price of vintage DE razors will skyrocket due to this commercial, because most of the reviews I've seen from people are very negative because they keep cutting themselves. People that buy this will end up mostly cutting their face and demanding their money back. People that but this will treat it like a multi-blade and immediately demand their money back. Hopefully, there's a few that do the research and give DE shaving a real shot.

I bought a van der hagen de razor as my first de which I believe is exactly the same razor as the micro touch. The beauty of this razor is that it's so mild it's almost impossible to cut yourself. Making it an ideal 1st razor. At least that was my experience. I switched to using a couple of vintage gillette s but I found the van der hagen / micro touch to be a very good razor.

Thanks to VDH, I was already using a brush and soap. I will admit a curiosity about DEs before, but seeing this commercial actually prompted me to do the research that led me to B&B and my Edwin Jagger razor.

Top Bottom