What's new

Leatherman advice

I've been thinking about getting a new multi-tool as I've always just used a cheap variety of brands here and there. I was thinking about getting a Leatherman Skeletool. I don't know much about multi-tools I just thought this one looked kind of neat and I liked the idea of the clip although it's doubtful I'd actually use that very often. I found a set on eBay that I've been watching:

It's a BIN - http://www.ebay.com/itm/290984929701?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I was at a local store today and came across a Leatherman Wave for 49.99 on clearance. It's the older model, 830039 but it still seemed like a pretty decent deal. Looking online that's about the price it's going for on ebay and amazon. I haven't opened it yet because I'm hoping to hear some thoughts about having the Wave or the Skeletool. I know it's a YMMV kind of thing but I'm just curious to hear others' opinions on the two multi-tools.

I have the Wave and love it. I use it in my tackle box and whenever I travel.

It was on sale a few weeks ago on Amazon and it is being sold on eBay for the same price as you can get locally. I am not aware of a newer model - but Wal-Mart, Sears, and Target are selling the model you mention. In fact, if you look here you will see the difference in the model numbers is only with respect to packaging.

Get the victorinox. Wait that wasn't an option.

If you like what you have, keep it. Get the skeletool. You may want them both. If you don't like it in a month or two you could sell it for like 10 less than you paid. Not lose much and the answer is priceless.

The biggest question is what to carry it in. The stock sheath? Nah. Skinth solutions. ;). Then you will need more MTs.

Get the victorinox. Wait that wasn't an option.

If you like what you have, keep it. Get the skeletool. You may want them both. If you don't like it in a month or two you could sell it for like 10 less than you paid. Not lose much and the answer is priceless.

The biggest question is what to carry it in. The stock sheath? Nah. Skinth solutions. ;). Then you will need more MTs.

my wife won't be happy with you! I like the looks of that L-Shield but now I need to get the bit kit and extender and maybe a small flashlight to fill it up. Drat.

I own the Skeletool and Wave, enjoy both of them.

I use the Skeletool more when camping and prefer the look and feel of it. I picked up my Wave at Cabelas around Xmas too and it was about $30 on a boxing day or leading up to Christmas special.

If I remember, I'll pull out both of them tomorrow and post a side-by-side of them. The blade on the Skeletool I have is serrated which I find useful and it's no frills, nothing fancy but rock solid.

Check your local Costco to see if they have any. I got my Skeletool with a nice Leatherman assist open knife and AAA flashlight (all great) for like $60. They often have them at Christmas in a blister pack.

I've had Leathermans for years, Waves and SuperTools mostly. I really liked the fact that the blade was on the outside of the wave as that is what I mostly used, and for a knife to carry, it worked great. When I needed the tools in it, it was only OK. I don't know if it's just me or the jobs I would do, but I found the tools to be lacking a little. That's where my Supertool comes in. I have carried one of these now for about 14 years. Had to replace it a couple times due to abuse (seems stomping on it to cut through some steel didn't agree with the jaws...) but I always keep the old ones to replace other parts I tend to break (again due to obvious abuse). I've never had a Skeletool, so I can't say one way or another. One of the big pluses I found for the Wave is the smooth finish when open. A lot of leathermans can tend to dig into my hand when crimping/cutting or otherwise using the pliers... the Wave doesn't and that in itself is worth $40 bucks in my book.

I did not like the skeletool all that much, mostly because of the small screwdriver bits that can easily be lost, It barely has any tools when it comes down to it, and it pinched my hand sometimes when using it.

I found the Leatherman Wave to be more use full for all those every day things.

to pick your tool, think of the tools you will want or need, then look for a multi tool that has that combination.

Victorinox and Gerber also make some decent tools.

I appreciate all the advice. I went ahead and opened the Wave a couple days ago and I've been carrying it. I'm not much of a "on the belt" kind of person even though it came with a nice little leather case. I've been carrying it in my pocket and while it took a little getting used to due to the weight, I don't notice it already. I like it. I still think the skeletool looks a little cooler but this works well. I stopped by Costco as well as BJ's hoping to find something but didn't see anything, I may still keep an eye out around Christmas.

Thanks again for the words gentlemen.

The Skeletool is on my short list but instead I've gone with a Swiss Army Bantam on my keys.

When I go with a belt folder it has been the Swiss Army Workchamp

Argh I just came across a skeletool on clearance for 40$. I almost bought it but my conscience got the best of me :bored:

If I may suggest, the SOG multi-tool is the one I carry. Great tools that all lock and it has a nifty cover that keeps the plier handles from digging into my palms when I have to put the stink on it to cut or turn something. They are kinda pricey but I use it everyday as an electrician more than you can imagine. Good luck.

I see you made your choice but I'll add my two cents anyway. I have one of each but I almost always carry the Skeletool because it's lighter and I can clip it in a pocket and hardly know it's there. I do use the wave some if I need a specific tool that's on it, if I carry it it's in a belt sheath which I find annoying.

Top Bottom